Windy City Runners

Weeklies Dec 31 - Jan 6 (Read 190 times)

Sharz96

I actually enjoy running in the dark at 4-5AM. Usually no vehicles, very rare for more than one or two.  No dogs.  One other runner.

It's a good thing that tomorrow morning is supposed to be back to 20+. I'm not sure how I'd handle 6 miles in temps as cold as this morning.

Duke of the Internet

I actually enjoy running in the dark at 4-5AM. Usually no vehicles, very rare for more than one or two.  No dogs.  One other runner.

It's a good thing that tomorrow morning is supposed to be back to 20+. I'm not sure how I'd handle 6 miles in temps as cold as this morning.

You need to live in the north for a long time to say, yeah that statement is completely logical to me.  Big grin

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5 miles at Park Center.   Chilly there.  Thought it would be crowded with college kids, but it was okay.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

It's not that bad IF you have the appropriate attire.  The worst part is getting out of bed and then out the door when you know it's so cold.  I did 10 this morning and was fine.  I've been out in colder weather.  Do it enough and over 20 feels positively balmy.  LOL.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Sharz96

6.1 miles, intervals at 25F.

I've always lived in the north: MN, MI, and NW or N suburbs of Chicago (well, except school at SIU)  so yeah, I know well that 20 can feel positively balmy at times. Smile  But we haven't been far enough below it, long enough, to get there yet this winter.

Totally agree with RunAsics, though--you have to have the right clothing, and that's been getting easier and easier (if more and more expensive!) with developments in tech fabrics.  And even when you have it all, it takes experience to know just exactly how much you need, or don't need, at specific temp and wind combos.  It varies pretty dramatically person to person, and even changes over the course of the winter.  I can be wearing the exact clothing at exact temp and wind, and feel cold in Dec, but it will be just right come Feb when I've acclimated to even colder temps.

anneb

It was 26 when I headed out this morning...get excited. Actually, as I was reading through this thread last night it occurred to me that I should skip my morning intervals on the treadmill and head outside (given the temp)...that wasn't a hard decision given I have a hard enough time attempting workouts at 5:45am. Smile

Anne

TennisKid1192

Kevin

3.15 miles today with my new FR10 =]. Pretty slow going, but I'll chalk that up to it being dark and me being scared of icy patches haha.

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Easy three through the hood to Portage Park and back tonight.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Trail Dog

9 miles tempo on the treadmill. The channel path is clear of snow and ice south of Howard, so I am running outside tomorrow. Smile

Duke of the Internet

3.15 miles today with my new FR10 =]. Pretty slow going, but I'll chalk that up to it being dark and me being scared of icy patches haha.

I also have the FR 10.  I love it.

Duke of the Internet

Easy 6 mile run at lunch for me.  It's starting to warm up FINALLY!!

Sharz96

Well, that warming up was short!  2.24 miles in 11F, 13 mph wind and feels like -4F.  That was cold!

I might have to get a pair tights or long shorts with that silver dot reflective crap in it, because my behind and thighs were cold with my  UA Frosty tights and a base layer.  Thin one, but another full layer.  No way could I do anything more than about 40 minutes in this cold.

Trail Dog

Sharz, I am having the same problem - my butt and hamstrings get very cold in my regular CW-X tights, and everything tightens up. Makes it very difficult during long runs. I bought a pair of CW-X insulated tights, and will try them for the first time today. Also, a friend in PA highly recommended the Brooks Silver Bullet Wind Tight. They are ugly as heck, but she says they keep her super warm. I was at Dick's a few weeks ago and noted that Columbia now makes baselayers with those silver reflective dots (pants, and long and short sleeve shirts). I was very tempted to try them, so if you go that route let me know what you think.

anneb

In temps like this morning, I am only good for about 90 minutes max. I never wear more than one layer on the bottom- I just don't like it.

Anyways- I have a pair of CWX insulated and I personally don't think they do much good. My warm pants are brooks utopia pant (the more $$ one) and they are the best of everything I've tried. Just my opinion!

Anne

Trail Dog

Thanks Anne! Now I am getting worried about the CW-X tights. Luckily RunningWarehouse.com has a new 90 day return policy, so if I don't like them I can return for exchange or store credit. You are the 2nd person who has recommended Brooks for insulated tights, so that will be the next thing I try (if the CWX aren't warm enough).