Windy City Runners

Weeklies 12/10-12/16 -- Join in!! (Read 254 times)

Duke of the Internet

Welcome members and lurkers.  I'm going to take a stab and see if anyone wants to participate in a weeklies discussion.  I know other forums use the weeklies to talk training plans, upcoming races, or just about stuff in their daily lives.  We are up to 26 registered members and I'm sure many more lurkers.  So please join or just feel free to read. 

Buckeyenurse-Welcome to Chicago.  I'm remember you from RWOL.  I didn't realize you moved to Chicago.  It sounds like you live a little southwest of where I'm at.  I assume you must have gotten a job in one of the local hospitals after you graduated.  Sorry, just saw your question about Harms Woods.  I was out there yesterday running in miserable weather.  Where did you end up running?

Runshorti-I have heard great things about the Wiscosnsin Marathon.  I have a friend that has run the full year every year since it opened.  I would love to run that race but it's too close Boston this year.  Maybe in 2014.  I think Harrylee has run it? 

Shartz-Where do you live approximately?  I didn't see that in your introduction.  Which half are you considering?  There are tons of options in September.  The weather can be tricky that time of the year.

Wrigleygirl-Are you running Boston in 2013.  I saw a thread on Boston in one of the other forums and it appears you have run it already.  Got any tips for me, other than don't go out too fast.  

Back to back runs this weekend of 14 and 10 miles, so today will be cross training.  I generally use the stairstepper in the gym and lift weights on off running days.  I would like to try a spin class but I never seem to make it happen.  It looks terribly painful.  Shocked

Sharz96

Today is a rest day for me--Monday usually is.  I ran 10 miles for the first time yesterday, back in rural southern Michigan, where I grew up.  33 degrees and a storm coming in.  The wind picked up a mile into the run, and then it added some light rain/sleet in the last 2 miles.  Nothing too bad but good motivation for a strong finish to get out of the rain.

Badger, I live up in Round Lake Beach and commute to the Loop—hence the 4AM running.  I’m leaning toward the Brewers Mini-Marathon in Milwaukee Sept 28, mostly because I like the small size: 5,000. But if anyone has another recommendation for a small race in Sept or Oct, southern WI or northern Illinois I’d certainly consider it. 

Duke of the Internet

Today is a rest day for me--Monday usually is.  I ran 10 miles for the first time yesterday, back in rural southern Michigan, where I grew up.  33 degrees and a storm coming in.  The wind picked up a mile into the run, and then it added some light rain/sleet in the last 2 miles.  Nothing too bad but good motivation for a strong finish to get out of the rain.

Badger, I live up in Round Lake Beach and commute to the Loop—hence the 4AM running.  I’m leaning toward the Brewers Mini-Marathon in Milwaukee Sept 28, mostly because I like the small size: 5,000. But if anyone has another recommendation for a small race in Sept or Oct, southern WI or northern Illinois I’d certainly consider it. 

I used to live in Round Lake Heights.  I built a house with Neumann builders in 2000 and lived there for 6 years.  Nice area.  The only thing I didn't like about the area was the commute to work.  So I finally moved south. 

I will keep an eye out for smaller half marathons.  I know this is a good one but it's the first weekend of November. 

http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_wisconsin_tyranena_beer_run_half_marathon.html

Congrats on the first double digit run!!

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Hola gang. I have run the Wisconsin Marathon and definitely recommend it, nice, small race that is well run and has a fast, flat course.

Haven't run yet this week, planning on changing that after work...

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Planning on 35-40 easy miles this week.  Kicking off with a round number.  Zero. 

I was looking at the performance improvement of a top local club runner.  In 2009, he was where I was in 2010 in terms of 5k and marathon times.  He steadily worked down to a 2:34 marathon last month...  he increased his peak miles each cycle from 50 peak to 100+ peak.   I think I'm WAY behind the curve.  So, I should increase the above my mileage plan by 2x?  Today is 2*0.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

Howdy people! Like Buckeyenurse, I also just moved to Chicago. From Atlanta, so it has been a real adjustment. I will write up a short bio for the intro thread when I have a free moment. My real name is Amanda (Roxie is my dog). Some of you may have known me from RWOL (Amanda in ATL).

Monday is always a day off running. I ran a marathon last weekend (Tecumseh in Indiana), and am ramping up my long runs for a January 50K. My mother was in town this past weekend so I had to break up my back-to-back runs into three days, but expect to see some very long weekend runs from me over the next few weeks. I just hope the weather cooperates. Running at Harms Woods yesterday in the pouring rain and cold was not something I want to do again anytime soon. Shocked

BuckeyeNurse

I was also at Harms Woods yesterday!  I did 16 total, from home up to just past Harms Woods (Glenview Woods, I think?) and back- only the last mile and a half ended up being in the rain, fortunately.  And the last mile put me at 2000 for the year, so even the rain couldn't ruin my good mood Smile.  0 today- my right Achilles is a little sore, but I think some ice, rest, and foam rolling will clear it up.

Badger- I was at my sister's in Boston for Thanksgiving and had the chance to run 6 miles through the Newton Hills- it's such a beautiful area!  Hopefully looking at some of those awesome houses will take your mind off the actual hills.  My sister volunteers at a water stop every year at Heartbreak.  It's my goal to qualify someday, hopefully soon while I would still have free lodging with my sister!  What race did you qualify at?  I actually got a job at an elementary school as the school nurse- I love it so far!

Amanda- welcome to the area, too!  How are you liking it here?  I'm having a tough time adjusting to the sheer volume of people and traffic.  Have you lived in a winter-y area before, or will this be a first for you?

Sharz- yuck, sleet is the worst!  I'm ready for snow- at least that's easier to run in than rain!

Speaking of half marathons, anyone know anything about the South Shore Half Marathon in Milwaukee, put on the Badgerland Striders?  Sounds like a very low-key event- entry is only $12.  April 7th this year.  

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Who let Badger start his own forum?!  Just saying hello as your friendly neighbor to the North!  I love Chicago, but I haven't been down in ages. 

Running is dumb.

Sharz96

BuckeyeNurse: I looked at SouthShore, but I hadn't noticed how inexpensive it was!  My only hesitation on that one is that it's just too soon for me. No doubt I could complete one by them, but I'd be looking at dragging my behind over the finish line at something like 3 hours.  I don't want to do one until 2:30 is a reasonableA goal.  I think I can get there by Sept.

MadisonMandy: Hi, neighbor. Smile  I go up to Madison a couple times a year for Rutabaga and Caneoacopia.  I love kayaking almost as much as running, but I can't do that at 4AM out the front door. Smile

Duke of the Internet

I was also at Harms Woods yesterday!  I did 16 total, from home up to just past Harms Woods (Glenview Woods, I think?) and back- only the last mile and a half ended up being in the rain, fortunately.  And the last mile put me at 2000 for the year, so even the rain couldn't ruin my good mood Smile.  0 today- my right Achilles is a little sore, but I think some ice, rest, and foam rolling will clear it up.

Badger- I was at my sister's in Boston for Thanksgiving and had the chance to run 6 miles through the Newton Hills- it's such a beautiful area!  Hopefully looking at some of those awesome houses will take your mind off the actual hills.  My sister volunteers at a water stop every year at Heartbreak.  It's my goal to qualify someday, hopefully soon while I would still have free lodging with my sister!  What race did you qualify at?  I actually got a job at an elementary school as the school nurse- I love it so far!

Amanda- welcome to the area, too!  How are you liking it here?  I'm having a tough time adjusting to the sheer volume of people and traffic.  Have you lived in a winter-y area before, or will this be a first for you?

Sharz- yuck, sleet is the worst!  I'm ready for snow- at least that's easier to run in than rain!

Speaking of half marathons, anyone know anything about the South Shore Half Marathon in Milwaukee, put on the Badgerland Striders?  Sounds like a very low-key event- entry is only $12.  April 7th this year.  

I qualified at the Chicago Marathon in October.  To be honest, I was surprised Boston wasn't full by Chicago.  So I decided to register for it.  In regards to the South Shore marathon, I have never heard of it.  Normally if something was $12 I would be worried but the Badgerland Striders are the group that puts on the Lakeshore Marathon in Milwaukee (my favorite marathon ever).  So, I would trust them.  They are a top tier running club that has been around for many, many years. 

Duke of the Internet

Who let Badger start his own forum?!  Just saying hello as your friendly neighbor to the North!  I love Chicago, but I haven't been down in ages. 

Madison is like Chicago north.  Post away.  What do you know about Dances with Dirt 50 miler in July?  Is it a looped course (like 3 loops for the 50 miler)?  The website is terrible.  Need some help here my Northern Neighbor. 

miniSx2

The Jogger

Recovery week for me.   Ran 54 miles last 2 weeks.  Shooting for 44 this week before jumping to 60mpw.

26.2 2007-4:19, 2008-4:00 2009-3:42 2010-3:36 2011-3:18 2012-3:06 2013-3:04 2017-2:59 2019: 2:56. Few thuds in between.

Duke of the Internet

Recovery week for me.   Ran 54 miles last 2 weeks.  Shooting for 44 this week before jumping to 60mpw.

You call yourself a jogger?  Good gravy, how many miles do you need to post to be a runner?

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Madison is like Chicago north.  Post away.  What do you know about Dances with Dirt 50 miler in July?  Is it a looped course (like 3 loops for the 50 miler)?  The website is terrible.  Need some help here my Northern Neighbor. 

Well, I came here for the good company.  And to tell Harry the handsome that he should come up and run the HM at Ice Age...registration opens at noon Saturday.

The website is turrible.  It looks like they're re-doing it.  But, let's see here...if I remember correctly, the 50 miler course is kinda weird regarding loops.  And they've changed the course since I last ran the race (in a bad way, in my opinion.)   So the start/finish is sort of this big field.  50 milers (and 50Kers) go run the 5 mile ski hill loop and then end up back where you started.  After that you run up, up, up the IAT.  (You've run that part before a few years ago.)  Then you run around the tops of the bluffs, down the bluffs, back up the bluffs (scenic, touristy part), then down again and into a meadow section (Bug Pit aid.)  Then I believe you do all that bluff stuff/bug pit stuff a second time.  After that, you head back up and then back down, down, down the IAT toward the start/finish.  Once you reach the start/finish, you get to the damn 5 mile ski hill loop again and THEN you're done.

Honestly, I don't like the course changes.  They completely cut off the West bluff.  Would you be looking to race it or use the race as a supported training run?  I'd almost say you were better off heading up there to camp for a weekend and just do your own thing.  Your puppy can stay with me again if I'm home that weekend. 

Running is dumb.

Runshortii

Hey all.  I don't have a stress fx. yay! I've been having dull pain on the top of my foot after my runs..I was pretty sure it was tendonitis but I've never had problems with my foot so I wanted to make sure it wasn't a stress fracture. I've been off running for about 2 weeks so I think I'll start back up tomorrow and see how I feel

Sharz - I did the Brewers-Mini last year and really liked it. I plan on doing it again. Free parking at Miller Park, very easy to get in and out. You get to use REAL bathrooms and not smelly porta potties..Nice course, you run around the warning track of the field and they show everyone on the jumbo screen.  It was very well organized, especially considering it was their first year having it. 

Badger - Why is Lakefront your favorite? I'm planning on registering for Chicago as my first marathon...but was thinking somewhat about doing Lakefront instead...Or maybe Lakefront the next year..

Amanda - Welcome to the area! Good luck training for your 50K

Buckeye - I've heard good things about Southshore. Very low key. I second what Badger said on badgerland striders being a well run club.  I'm glad you're liking your job. I start my nursing clinicals in January. Very excited!

MadisonMandy -  I'm a neighbor to the north as well. Around the Kenosha area. Haven't been to Madison in forever!