Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 14-20th (Read 150 times)

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I did my progression run in last night's  20 mph winds- lapped around Portage Park, so that I had the wind at my back almost as often as it was in my face. Probably going to move the tempo stuff to the treadmill until spring.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Trail Dog

I nearly registered for the Marquette 50, but decided to run Lookout Mountain instead. Badger ran the 50k up there a few years ago. But I agree, the UP is beautiful! I actually lived in Marquette for a few years when I was young. Last year's Grand Island Marathon was my first time back to the UP since then. Smile

There are some interesting races in the UP and northern WI and even north MI - Waugoshance Marathon looks like a good one.

There are some great trails in Marquette, you could always stay an extra day or two to take advantage of them...  I'd recommend the 50k up there a few weeks before the marathon, but it's already full.

Sharz96

3.7 miles at my favorite forest preserve. I don't usually run on Saturdays, but I had to make up the skipped Tues.  Good, easy run.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Much nicer on N Branch today.  6 miles with DW to Glenview Road.

Also, can anyone recommend a LRS?  Bonus points for a favorite sales person.

Duke of the Internet

Nice!  I did 20 miles there today.  I went from Willow (11.5 mile marker) to almost  Devon (1.5 mile marker) and back.  Very windy going south, very nice going north.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I mainly shop on-line as it's cheaper but if you need to try something on...  I know Daryl @ Runner's Edge in Wilmette (Ridge & Wilmette).  Road Runner Sports has a store by CPS in Edens Plaza (Lake & Skokie) - last time I bought something there (gift card) Talyor helped.  She was shoe knowledgeable.  They have a decent selection but try to up sell you on everything.  Not sure if Derek is still working at Running Away in Deerfield.  Also, not sure if Laura is still at (dare I say if) Dick's on Touhy.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

I ran 10 miles with Roxie on the DPRT. What a beautiful day! I barely felt the wind because of the trees.

RA, thanks for the LRS suggestions. I do most of my shopping online (Running Warehouse) but a LRS is useful when you want to try a new shoe. There is also a LRS in Lincoln Square, right on the corner of Lincoln when you get into that main shopping street off Lawrence. I forget the name, but my acupuncturist and massage therapist are right there so I drive by it fairly often.

Sharz96

7.3 miles at my favorite forest preserve.  DANG that wind was bad.

I shop at the Runner's Edge in Libertyville and at the Road Runners Sport.  I've been to the Running Away store in Deerfield a few times.  Road Runners probably has the broadest selections and variety of price points. I probably spend more with them than anywhere else.   Runner's Edge Libertyville is pretty small.  Running Away is aimed at tri-athletes, and at higher price points.  Really nice stuff, best brands, but I don't think I've ever purchased anything there, except maybe socks.  They are aimed at the athletic build, and that will never be me, no matter how much I lose.

Duke of the Internet

7.3 miles at my favorite forest preserve.  DANG that wind was bad.

I shop at the Runner's Edge in Libertyville and at the Road Runners Sport.  I've been to the Running Away store in Deerfield a few times.  Road Runners probably has the broadest selections and variety of price points. I probably spend more with them than anywhere else.   Runner's Edge Libertyville is pretty small.  Running Away is aimed at tri-athletes, and at higher price points.  Really nice stuff, best brands, but I don't think I've ever purchased anything there, except maybe socks.  They are aimed at the athletic build, and that will never be me, no matter how much I lose.

I had my very first gait analysis done at Runner's edge.  They were super nice.  I agree the store is very small and I wasn't overly impressed with items to purchase but I do try and support places like this.

14 miles today.  It started to get cold at the end.  Tomorrow is a rest day.  Based on the weather prediction, it couldn't come at a better time.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks for the LRS tips.  SRD for me today.