Windy City Runners

Weeklies 12/17-12/23 (Read 221 times)

Duke of the Internet

Starting week 2 .....

Buckeye Nurse-The lakefront path goes on and on.  It takes a little trial and error to get the hang of it.  The "actual" lakefront path doesn't start until you hit hollywood avenue.  The section I run is north of there.  I tried to draw of my normal run a on google maps for you.  Hope this helps.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5762595

This is the "actual" lakefront path is here:

www.chicagobikes.org/pdf/lakefront_trail061608.pdf

BuckeyeNurse

Thanks for the map, badger- that looks like a great run!  Probably very scenic, what with the campus and the lake and everything.  I have run on the Lakefront path a couple of times- usually park at Montrose and go south to Soldier Field, but I didn't realize that it picked up again farther north of Hollywood.  

I had toured Northwestern when I was looking at colleges and hated it for some reason- I was kicking myself on Saturday for not going there!  I absolutely loved Evanston!

Duke of the Internet

Sharz-Wow that's cool.  I have always wanted to run the entire DPRT as well.  I have only made it as far at half day road at this point.  I know it goes to the boarder (i.e Wisconsin).  How far south does it go? 

Sharz96

Badger: I'd have to look to see how far south it goes.The trail is divided into 31 miles in the North Section in Lake county and a South Section in Cook County, but I haven't looked much into Cook County because we're nowhere near it yet.  We live maybe 15 miles from the north end, so we started up there and are working our way down.  I've added the DesPlains River Trail HM to my list of options for the fall.  They haven't posted a date for 2013 yet but 2012 was in Oct.

Duke of the Internet

Badger: I'd have to look to see how far south it goes.The trail is divided into 31 miles in the North Section in Lake county and a South Section in Cook County, but I haven't looked much into Cook County because we're nowhere near it yet.  We live maybe 15 miles from the north end, so we started up there and are working our way down.  I've added the DesPlains River Trail HM to my list of options for the fall.  They haven't posted a date for 2013 yet but 2012 was in Oct.

Good choice.  The race director is a great guy.  I didn't run this race as I was running Chicago but I did go on one of his group training runs on the course.  The leaves were changing colors on the trail and it was really beautiful.  You will love it. 

I have run the DPRT has far south as North avenue.  I think that is probably close to twenty miles in cook county.  It probably goes even further but that is the it for me so far. 

Trail Dog

Rest day today, but will take the dog for a nice long walk.

Sharz, I've run from Lake Cook Rd. north to the Cubby Bear, then on a 2nd run started at Half Day Rd but can't recall how far north we made it - maybe just another 8 miles. From what I've run, it seems very different from the Cook County DRRT (I've only run the sections from Golf to Dundee). From your post in last week's thread: sleep and nutrition are very important for recovery. One of the biggest changes I made when I moved to Chicago was in my sleep patterns. When I lived in Atlanta, I would routinely stay awake until 11PM or later, then wake up at 4AM to run. Now I get 8 hours of sleep almost every night.

Buckeye Nurse - so far I have run the trails at Palos, Sag Valley, Deer Grove, DPRT, Sterns Woods, and NBT. They are all very different to what I am used to in the south. But, I think my favorite are Palos and Deer Grove -- you can put together a nice long run with some hills at Palos, but it is not an easy drive from Evanston. Deer Grove has fewer trails, but there are a few hills and it is a much easier drive.  Sag Valley has some nice hills, but it is gravely bridle paths so not what I really consider 'trails'.

Sharz96

Two easy miles today. 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

10k on the indoor track yesterday and 8.4 miles looping around the park center "lake" this morning.  I had planned on 10 but was running late and the wind was blowing light snow in my eyes so I bagged the last loop and hit the showers.  10 mins later it was nice out.   Ahhh!

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

10k on the indoor track yesterday and 8.4 miles looping around the park center "lake" this morning.  I had planned on 10 but was running late and the wind was blowing light snow in my eyes so I bagged the last loop and hit the showers.  10 mins later it was nice out.   Ahhh!

We also run at Park center in the winter.   Haven't been there yet this winter, but probably next week.  It's pretty quiet in the afternoon.  Like the banked track, but sure have to be careful at the entry.  When do you run?

Trail Dog

I got to run in a little snow today - awesome! 6 miles easy, I ran 4 alone then brought Roxie for the final 2 miles.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

We also run at Park center in the winter.   Haven't been there yet this winter, but probably next week.  It's pretty quiet in the afternoon.  Like the banked track, but sure have to be careful at the entry.  When do you run?

Typically, during the winter, I go before 7am and also around 6pm on Wednesday for some intervals.  Lately it's been at random times.  My PR is 128 laps.  Smile

I don't understand why folks walk on or off without looking, especially when they see people running.  I've almost nailed a few.  They added the signs back in 2009 (I think) and still people don't get it.  I could rant all day but it's a great resource.  

I'll be the tall skinny guy with bright yellow or red, white and blue shoes.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Typically, during the winter, I go before 7am and also around 6pm on Wednesday for some intervals.  Lately it's been at random times.  My PR is 128 laps.  Smile

I don't understand why folks walk on or off without looking, especially when they see people running.  I've almost nailed a few.  They added the signs back in 2009 (I think) and still people don't get it.  I could rant all day but it's a great resource.  

I'll be the tall skinny guy with bright yellow or red, white and blue shoes.

I've even seen runners finish their run and  then go cross right into the path of another runner.  We're pretty slow, but we still try to give the entry a little space when we pass by.  Oh well, the price is right.

Sharz96

Easy 3 miles.  Felt good. 

Duke of the Internet

I've even seen runners finish their run and  then go cross right into the path of another runner.  We're pretty slow, but we still try to give the entry a little space when we pass by.  Oh well, the price is right.

I haven't been out there yet.  I will be checking it out this winter.   

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

6 miles to Lake Ave and back @ 10:00 and yes, over the bridge and back.  Nice day before the storm.