Windy City Runners

Monthlies-March (Read 25 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

NBT was clear between Beckwith and GV Road this morning.  Hoping for some long runs there this week with only 2 weeks to our first HM in Knoxville.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

12 miles on NBT Beckwith to Devon. PR.  A little chilly going north, but pretty nice.  A little snow still on trail south of Oakton. Otherwise it is fine.  Lots of runners out today.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Anyone run north of Glenview Road?

Got in a 20 miler and 10k race for a 26.2 mile weekend (well maybe a 50k if I include w/ WU and CD).  Ready for taper w/ lower miles but maintaining the intensity.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Trail Dog

I ran from Old Orchard north to Winnetka Rd on Thursday. I ran on the dirt trails, which were still very messy (LOTS of mud alternating with ice). However, the paved bike path looked mostly clear except for a patchy section directly south of Happ Rd. I did see other road runners heading north from Old Orchard, and one bike. I think it would be worth trying to run there, Asics. Please report back!

Yesterday I ran the 3 mile stretch of DPRT north from Beck Lake to Allison Woods (at Milwaukee). Less muddy than the NBT, and even though it was still 50/50 with some snow it was mostly slushy and not ice.

Trail Dog

I have not run in Barrington, though I think it is the same general area as the Cary half marathon. My impression is that people run on the roads there and not on a specific trail. You could try searching Map My Run for routes?

Stupid question- I know you guys have talked about running the "Barrington Hills".  Is there a specific forest preserve or trail you run out there, or just the general area?  I was out in Barrington yesterday and it seemed like such a beautiful area; I'd love to run out there but don't know where to go.  The hills would definitely be a shock after 8 months of flat Chicago running!

Trail Dog

Asics, how was the race? Wrigley Girl how was your 100k?

Work has been insanely busy so I am way behind on my fun internet time. I have raced the past two weekends, both with good results!

Cary Half Marathon I exceeded my expectations and ran a 1:54:48. This was a course record (I ran Cary in 2:03:35 in 2012) and a PR (I ran Palos in 1:59:58 in 2012). My stretch goal was 1:56Tight lippedx based on some McMillan predictions from a flat Thanksgiving trot 10k, but I thought a 1:58Tight lippedx was more likely since Cary is considered hilly. Regardless of finish time, my #1 focus was on smart pacing (every other half marathon I have run, I started way too fast and blew up in the later miles). My last mile was the fastest, so I did a good job with pacing. Also, since Wrigley Girl asked, it did not seem that hilly to me this year compared to last year. Definitely some hills, but nothing crazy. Pre- and post-race were fun as I got to hang out with Badger and RunAsics and his wife and a few other RWOL people.

This past weekend I ran the Lakefront 50k. This was a really fun and well organized event and I would definitely recommend it to anybody wanting to try a road ultra. This was my 11th ultra, but my first ultra on pavement vs. trail. In fact, I have never even raced > 14.2 miles on pavement, and that was back in 2009 at the Tupelo Marathon. So basically I had no clue what to expect since I have only done a handful of road training runs > 20 miles. I was treating this as a training run for the Wisconsin Marathon so did not race full throttle, but I still finished in 5:04:23. This was definitely faster than I would have expected as a hard training run, and for pacing I managed to speed up the last 5 miles. My last mile was the 2nd fastest at 9:22 into a headwind (I had a 9:18 earlier in the race).

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I'll try the North Branch bike path on Friday for my 9 miler as that'll take me to Winnetka Rd.

Asics, how was the race? 

The Chi-Town HM and 10k... I definitely did not pace well.  Went out fast - my watch say 6:01 for the 1st mile but I think I was around 5:57 as my 2nd mile was 6:00 and the clock was under 12 mins.  Anyway, blew up around mile 4 as the course looped around the baseball diamonds by North Ave and got more of a headwind.  Held off the 1st OA woman and finished with a chip time of 37:59.8, precisely.

The race itself was massive CF...course marshals sent 99% of the 10k runners the wrong way.  Must have started just after I went by in the lead pack.  At first I thought there was a 2nd race as hoards of runners were coming the wrong way on the path by mile 3.5, i.e. at me.  Then I was dodging past slower runners all the way to the finish.  Quite bizarre.  As such the placement and time of everyone who went the wrong way are wrong.  I was 18th but most people in front of me ran 5 miles...  Probably top 5 or maybe even 3rd OA.

There was a turnaround going north at ~5.5 miles, to split the races but I guess the volunteers got all excited and directly people into the turnaround in the 1st mile.  The started by the CARA water tough and took runners north on the trail, under LSD @ the Wellington underpass.  Anyone who'd looked at the course map would know that the turn was early and the HM and 10k were together until 5.5 miles.  I guess there are a lot of sheep.

Anyway, looks like the RD is issuing a full refund and $10 off another All Community Events race

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Wow. So glad I did not sign up the Chi-town 10k as I had planned. To think, the only thing stopping me had been my dislike of the term 'Chi-town'. Great job on the race, RA.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Kalsarikännit

To think, the only thing stopping me had been my dislike of the term 'Chi-town'. 

No one from Chicago has EVER said "Chi-town".  It makes me cringe every time I see or hear it. It's a valid reason to have nothing to do with the race. Still, I'm sorry it didn't go well.

Glad to hear the Lakefront 50k went well. Roxie, that is a solid time. You should be proud.  I am convinced the two windiest days of the year are the days in the spring and fall when the race is held.

I ended up dropping at the 100k. I have been battling a quad injury and had some weird stomach thing going on. But mainly I was just miserable. It was on a rails-to-trails that was a frozen mess except where it was flooded, except where it was deep unrunnable mud. Plus it was brutally cold and windy. Ugh. Most people ended up dropping down in distance (I did 32.2 miles, but mainly hiked the last 10 mile loop), and both the man and woman that were winning the 100 miler at the time threw in the towel. It is ok, though. I drove up to the Berkshires and climbed up Mt Frissell and Mt Greylock (postholing in knee deep snow at times).  It was some tough winter hiking, but quiet and beautiful. Plus I got to spend some time hunting down local beer. Mountains + beer = heaven.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Ran Beckwith to Lake today.  Tree cutters were annoying north of GV Road.  Nice day though.  Not one runner in 6 miles.  Where are those healthy, wealthy baby boomers?

Figures that the Chitown HM was a big CF.

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Hey all, just thought I'd check in.

I ran the 10k [my first!] and was part of the 99% that were directed the wrong way. The course ended up being ~7.7 miles. Finished in about 1:00:30 and I attribute it to 1. Spring Break [cruise to the Bahamas] the week before & 2. Just not being mentally prepared to run more than 6ish miles haha.

Still fun overall. Glad the director took responsibility for it and is offering refunds =]

I'll try the North Branch bike path on Friday for my 9 miler as that'll take me to Winnetka Rd.

The Chi-Town HM and 10k... I definitely did not pace well.  Went out fast - my watch say 6:01 for the 1st mile but I think I was around 5:57 as my 2nd mile was 6:00 and the clock was under 12 mins.  Anyway, blew up around mile 4 as the course looped around the baseball diamonds by North Ave and got more of a headwind.  Held off the 1st OA woman and finished with a chip time of 37:59.8, precisely.

The race itself was massive CF...course marshals sent 99% of the 10k runners the wrong way.  Must have started just after I went by in the lead pack.  At first I thought there was a 2nd race as hoards of runners were coming the wrong way on the path by mile 3.5, i.e. at me.  Then I was dodging past slower runners all the way to the finish.  Quite bizarre.  As such the placement and time of everyone who went the wrong way are wrong.  I was 18th but most people in front of me ran 5 miles...  Probably top 5 or maybe even 3rd OA.

There was a turnaround going north at ~5.5 miles, to split the races but I guess the volunteers got all excited and directly people into the turnaround in the 1st mile.  The started by the CARA water tough and took runners north on the trail, under LSD @ the Wellington underpass.  Anyone who'd looked at the course map would know that the turn was early and the HM and 10k were together until 5.5 miles.  I guess there are a lot of sheep.

Anyway, looks like the RD is issuing a full refund and $10 off another All Community Events race

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Ran Beckwith to Lake today.  Tree cutters were annoying north of GV Road.  Nice day though.  Not one runner in 6 miles.  Where are those healthy, wealthy baby boomers?

Figures that the Chitown HM was a big CF.

Ha!  I almost got run over by that darn truck yesterday!   Anyway, back to the path for my Friday am 9 miler.

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

On the NB bike path from Glenview Rd to Winnetka Rd... pocket of slush just south of 10 mile marker... frozen blob on north end of the Edens underpass (10.5 mile marker).   Trail looks pretty sloppy in many places.

Based on the volume of tree removal and brush clearing; Harms Woods will soon be called Harms Prairie.

Duke of the Internet

On the NB bike path from Glenview Rd to Winnetka Rd... pocket of slush just south of 10 mile marker... frozen blob on north end of the Edens underpass (10.5 mile marker).   Trail looks pretty sloppy in many places.

Based on the volume of tree removal and brush clearing; Harms Woods will soon be called Harms Prairie.

I agree.  I saw the number of trees they have marked to take out.  It's crazy.  I get the reason but it's still a shame.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

only one slushy patch on NBT just south of Happ.  Did I miss something or is the only Porta potty on  NBT at Glenview Road?  Guess we have to protect those County pensions.