Windy City Runners

2013 Local Races (Read 475 times)

Duke of the Internet

New Marathon just announced in Peoria.  May 19th

http://www.runrivercity.com/

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Yes, that's a great 5k.  The FLW Races in October are just as good (same location but course goes west), plus there's an unofficial double, i.e. run the 5k then the 10k, which starts 45mins later.. 

A few others for the list:

Ravenswood 5k:  late April (Chicago)

Soldier Field 10: May 25th (Chicago)

Race Against Hate 5k/10k: June 16th (Evanston)

Frank Lloyd Wright Races:  Oct xx (Oak Park)

The FLW 10K was terrific.  Since I grew up there, I was narrating the whole race to my wife.  Cry

We'll run it again next October.

Sharz96

Another potential option: Des Plaines River Trail HM, FM, and 50M races at Half Day Road.  Probably Oct.

http://desplainesrivertrailraces.com/

BexKix, Bagel Defender

I am registered, and am blaming a fit of insanity.

Kalsarikännit

FYI, for anyone interested in the Frozen Gnome 50k in Crystal Lake on Jan 13, the Ultralist's hotlist indicates that the race is 99% full.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trail Dog

One spot remaining... I registered last month. WG are you running?

FYI, for anyone interested in the Frozen Gnome 50k in Crystal Lake on Jan 13, the Ultralist's hotlist indicates that the race is 99% full.

Kalsarikännit

One spot remaining... I registered last month. WG are you running?

My favorite race is that weekend. Bandera 100k in Hill Country in Texas.   Beautiful, mean, and rugged with camping at the start/finish and a heated tent with beer drinking runners at the end.

I would like to check out this group's races. I will look at the Earth Day race in a few months. I am unfamiliar with the trails in that area. It would be fun to run a trail ultra close to home.

Trail Dog

I would *love* to run Bandera in 2014. Definitely more up my alley than Frozen Gnome (especially the camping and beer!). But I really wanted to do a cold and hopefully snowy race my first winter in Chicago. I did a 20 miler on the Frozen Gnome course a few weeks ago. The trails aren't terribly technical or hilly, but there are a few short but steep hills that will be tricky if it is muddy and/or icy/snowy (especially on the later loops...).

Kalsarikännit

I really wanted to do a cold and hopefully snowy race 

You are the first person to ever say this. Big grin

Runnerman Dan

Purveyor of peace & love

You are the first person to ever say this. Big grin

Judging by the number and location of some winter races, I doubt this is true...   Smile

Trail Dog

I meant to post this yesterday... It will be sold out by the time most of you see this, but registration for the March 17th Cary March Madness marathon opened at 6AM today. This is a very well organized race with some nice hills. And an awesome sweatshirt!

Registration Link

UPDATE: "2013 Pre registration is now Closed.  Limit of 1000 runners reached in 18 minutes."

Much faster than last year!

Jeff F

Free Beer

Interesting

Trail Dog

For those not on Facebook, the inaugural Naperville Marathon announced their pricing last night, in advance of registration which opens Monday. I have never seen a race so out-of-line with reality. The Facebook page blew up overnight, both in response to the pricing and to a 2nd post in which the RD justified the cost (including a promise that "the photos are going to be awesome" Shy ).

Naperville Marathon (Nov 10th)
                            2013 Inaugural Naperville Race Registration Fees:
                            •$115 Naperville Half Marathon
                            •$150 Naperville Marathon

Each entry fee includes:
                            * a gender specific top brand half zip running long sleeve ($65 value)
                            ... * your race photo package. A free download of a series of high quality digital race 8”x 10” photographs of you running in the Naperville race ($50 value)
                            * your race bib personalized with your first name
                            * a commemorative finishers medal
                            * a race packet filled with free products and valuable coupons
                            * your online finisher’s certificate
                            * free pace teams led by experienced pacers
                            * free parking at packet pickup and race day

Sharz96

Oh, please.  Why don't they just say that the pictures are worth $100 ... or $1,000?

Ridiculous.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

For those not on Facebook, the inaugural Naperville Marathon announced their pricing last night, in advance of registration which opens Monday. I have never seen a race so out-of-line with reality. The Facebook page blew up overnight, both in response to the pricing and to a 2nd post in which the RD justified the cost (including a promise that "the photos are going to be awesome" Shy ).

Naperville Marathon (Nov 10th)
                                2013 Inaugural Naperville Race Registration Fees:
                                •$115 Naperville Half Marathon
                                •$150 Naperville Marathon

Each entry fee includes:
                                * a gender specific top brand half zip running long sleeve ($65 value)
                                ... * your race photo package. A free download of a series of high quality digital race 8”x 10” photographs of you running in the Naperville race ($50 value)
                                * your race bib personalized with your first name
                                * a commemorative finishers medal
                                * a race packet filled with free products and valuable coupons
                                * your online finisher’s certificate
                                * free pace teams led by experienced pacers
                                * free parking at packet pickup and race day

Wow. That makes any R'n'R marathon I've ever run seem cheap by comparison. Just wow.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.