Windy City Runners

2013 Local Races (Read 475 times)

Kalsarikännit

$150 to run in Naperville?  Are you kidding?

I just checked out the Wisconsin Marathon. $74. Plus the $7.75 to take the train up there. I can live with that.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Trail Dog

Well in response to all the outrage, they posted an update - they are "going back to the drawing board" with some sort of new pricing matrix. Anyway, if you are on Facebook some of the comments are amusing. Some woman, clearly a supporter of the race, posted this gem: "If we continue to force the price of everything down we end up with the Walmartization of the sport.". Shy

WrigleyGirl, I'm running Wisconsin. Not only is is half the price of Naperville, you get a beer and a brat at the finish. That's my kind of race!

anneb

Yikes for Naperville - is it a new RD? I'm not sure why they think that it demands that $$.

I am most likely in for Wisconsin too! I should get around to registering before the next price increase...

Anne

Trail Dog

So the update is that they did indeed drop their prices as a direct result of the social media shit storm. They also dropped the photo package, and switched to a standard long sleeve tech shirt.

For those that are interested the prices dropped to $105 for the full and $85 for the half marathon. They also posted a coupon code on their website:

REFERRAL CODE: LUCKYDAY
          Enter in registration form to get $10 off race price above
          (good thru 2/28/13)

There is also a fat ass 50k that same weekend, at Deer Grove Forest Preserve. I will be there instead. Smile

Kalsarikännit

Harrylee and anneb (anyone else doing the F3 half?), if you see a seven foot tall, pigtailed, strawberry blond in a red singlet tomorrow, please say hi.  It is always nice to meet RA'ers in person.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

Ran the F^3 Half, great race this year as well. I wanted to run the first 4 as a warm up and then the rest at ghmp (my plan called for a 15k race today anyway) and was able to do okay and hit a 1'46. Only a few minutes off of my PR, so I think I might be able to hit a good time at my goal race in Austin next month.

Wrigleygirl- I didn't see your post last night, but I saw someone dressed as a strawberry that I thought of when I read your post. Had to re-read it because the person was definitely not 7 feet tall, made more sense when I read all of the words! Hope you had a great race.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

anneb

Harrylee and anneb (anyone else doing the F3 half?), if you see a seven foot tall, pigtailed, strawberry blond in a red singlet tomorrow, please say hi.  It is always nice to meet RA'ers in person.

I too am just seeing your post, but I did see you on the course! You were just north of castaways running alone, and I saw the red usole wear and was like hmmm (looked close enough to your profile pic). You looked strong... It was a great morning to be running on the lakefront.

Anne

Kalsarikännit

Did you guys go to the Cubby Bear?  I had a fun day even though I screwed up and got there late. I didn't get a chance to do a warm up jog, and ended up lining up in back. I think my half PR is pretty soft, so I think I will sign up for the spring half at the end of May.

harrylee773

Mr. Forumite of the Year

I did not go to the Cubby Bear, as I had to hurry home after the race and prep for my weekend with my daughter. I've heard nothing but good things about the after party (the FB pics all look fun enough) so hopefully next year I can make it.

Anybody doing any local races in Feb? I'm thinking about the Big Game 10k on Super Bowl Sunday, but not sure since I have a half two week later.

harrylee, harrylee, harrylee, harrylee- life is but a dream.

Trail Dog

Badger and I are running the John Dick Memorial 50K this weekend. Unfortunately that is it for me because I will be out of the country for most of February, and half of March. I'm back just in time for the Cary March Madness half marathon on the 17th.

Sharz96

My husband and I registered today for the Prairie State Half Marathon on October 12.

We also made all the reservations for vacation to Glacier National Park for July 17-25, so Half Marathon training will start Monday July 29th, for a max of 11 weeks, or Aug 5th if I do a 10 week program.  Now to settle on a training plan.

Trail Dog

WrigleyGirl, this is right up your alley -- new 6/12/24 hour event in Lake County. Co-RDd by New Leaf and the DPRT RDs. The website is supposed to go public next week. As of right now, all I know is the loop is 1 mile at Old School Forest Preserve, finely crushed gravel. July 27-28. They are staggering the starts -- 24 hour at 8am July 27, 12 hour at 8pm July 27, 6 hour at 10pm July 28. My birthday is the 28th, so I am signing up for sure.