Windy City Runners

Weeklies 12/10-12/16 -- Join in!! (Read 254 times)

Trail Dog

I haven't quite figured out the ins and outs of intervals on my Forerunner 210.  And I was too tired to think straight to do the math in my head.

Nice workout Sharz! If you had a hard time with the final intervals, you should try to run the first one or two just a little slower. The final intervals should be at full speed, but you should pace it so you could do one more if you really had to. Well at least this is what my coach tells me to do. Smile 

I'm not familiar with the 210, but with the 205 and 405 I am able to program my interval workouts in Training Center, then transfer them to my Garmin. I did this when I lived in Atlanta and was running almost exclusively in the dark, relying on the Garmin beeping to tell me whether it was time to run or jog. You can even pre-program set pace ranges and the Garmin will beep to tell you to speed up or slow down. So I never needed to look at the actual watch until I got home.

Kalsarikännit

Wrigleygirl-Are you running Boston in 2013.  I saw a thread on Boston in one of the other forums and it appears you have run it already.  Got any tips for me, other than don't go out too fast.  

No Boston for me this year. It is a great race (and I normally don't like big marathons), but way to expensive to do every year. I don't know if I should give advice. I ran it for shits and giggles. I ran The Exeter Marathon two days before, and had a big race two weeks after, so I went easy, but ended up having a load of fun. I would say what you already know about not going out too fast. Also, don't stress about the hills. They are these little bumps that everyone makes a big deal about. Should you hill train? Well, yeah. Everyone should hill train. It is good for your running. Last and most important thing: you have to kiss a girl at Wellesley. If you don't, your marathon doesn't count.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Duke of the Internet

No Boston for me this year. It is a great race (and I normally don't like big marathons), but way to expensive to do every year. I don't know if I should give advice. I ran it for shits and giggles. I ran The Exeter Marathon two days before, and had a big race two weeks after, so I went easy, but ended up having a load of fun. I would say what you already know about not going out too fast. Also, don't stress about the hills. They are these little bumps that everyone makes a big deal about. Should you hill train? Well, yeah. Everyone should hill train. It is good for your running. Last and most important thing: you have to kiss a girl at Wellesley. If you don't, your marathon doesn't count.

Well I'm not a rule breaker, so I will do what I need to do.  Big grin

Sharz96

Roxie: Thanks for the tip about Garmin Training Center.  I've never even looked at it, but if my Garmin supports it, that could be a big help! 

Trail Dog

Sharz, you can download the Training Center from the Garmin website. It may already be on your computer, if you loaded it when you first got the unit and software disk. Unless your Garmin model doesn't support the TC, which is quite possible.

Rest day for me. 7 recovery miles yesterday along the Skokie Channel. It smelled really bad yesterday. Dead

Duke of the Internet

Harry-Do you know of any 5k's going on this weekend or next weekend?  I see one at Lincoln Park tomorrow but that's it. 

Sharz96

Easy 2 miles today, which I turned into 2.5 just because I felt like it. I took the day off today, so I did my Friday easy run at my forest preserve at noon instead of 4AM neighborhood streets.  Amazing how quickly you can forget how to dress for 45F and sunny and no wind.   It was gorgeous and I was overdressed. Good run though.

I got into the Garmin Training Center, and it connected to Garmin, read it, said it sent it my workout, but I couldn't find it on my Garmin.  So I just headed out to run.  I'll take more time ot study the Training Center this weekend. 

BuckeyeNurse

Happy weekend!  I'm hoping it stops raining like it's supposed to later this afternoon so I can get in 8 miles.  I was going to run them yesterday morning before work, but got up and ate breakfast, got my running clothes on, and......went back to bed.  Sad  I just couldn't get excited about running my neighborhood loop again, since it's the only one I can do in the dark!  I'm still too scared to do the NBT by myself before dawn.  Looking at 16 again tomorrow.  

I stepped on a chunk of wood on the sidewalk during my run Tuesday night and rolled my ankle pretty badly, but it seemed to hold up on shorter runs this week and not feel any worse when I ran than when I did anything else, so I'm hoping it will make it through some longer runs just fine too.

Duke of the Internet

Happy weekend!  I'm hoping it stops raining like it's supposed to later this afternoon so I can get in 8 miles.  I was going to run them yesterday morning before work, but got up and ate breakfast, got my running clothes on, and......went back to bed.  Sad  I just couldn't get excited about running my neighborhood loop again, since it's the only one I can do in the dark!  I'm still too scared to do the NBT by myself before dawn.  Looking at 16 again tomorrow.  

I stepped on a chunk of wood on the sidewalk during my run Tuesday night and rolled my ankle pretty badly, but it seemed to hold up on shorter runs this week and not feel any worse when I ran than when I did anything else, so I'm hoping it will make it through some longer runs just fine too.

Ohhh sweet!  When I went to bed it said rain all day today.  Now it looks dry from 11am-3pm.  That's awesome.  I'm definitely going to wait for it to clear up before I run.

On a sidebar, I have always found the NBT to be very safe.  However, being a girl, I don't blame you are not wanting to run in the dark alone.  Maybe if the dailies continue to pickup steam you will find someone to run with in the mornings.   

anneb

On a sidebar, I have always found the NBT to be very safe.  However, being a girl, I don't blame you are not wanting to run in the dark alone.  Maybe if the dailies continue to pickup steam you will find someone to run with in the mornings.   

I will run on it by myself every once and awhile in the evening, during a time when you would think you would see a couple of runners at least, but I usually don't. I am not the kind of person that thinks that bad things will happen to me, but for some reason it does kind of freak me out! And I know my husband does not like that at all... For early mornings, I find there is hardly any car traffic in the neighborhood where I am (edgebrook/sauganash) so I don't mind it.

I got out for 11 this morning and stayed pretty dry. Around mile 7 on my way back I really thought it was going to start pouring...but it never did, so long run done!

Anne

Sharz96

I'm not familiar with the surface and lighting of the NBT, but I'd be at least as reluctant to run on it in the dark for fear of tripping and falling in inadequate light as for any other safety risks.  Knuckle lights, headlamps, whatever, it's not enough for good depth perception to really see all the many things that can trip you up.  It's why I won't run on sidewalks in the dark, even with mostly decent neighborhood lighting plus my knuckle lights. Lessons learned the hard way. Still have the scabs from the last time.  The street itself is so much better a surface, and traffic is no issue at 4AM. 

Saturday--rest or other activity for me.  Long run is tomorrow.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Looks like an URD for us. (unscheduled rain delay).  Cry

BTW, we got caught in a gapers block on the Edens at Niles Center.  The cause was the digital sign (Command Transport), saying "Bear Down" with a picture of a Bear and a GB Packer.  Wish we took a picture.

Trail Dog

Welcome Jerry! The rain slowed down significantly after 1PM - what a relief! We saw that sign today. I'm not a Bears fan, but I have to admit I was a bit shocked a company would want themselves associated with that sign.

Nice runs Sharz and Anne! I run almost exclusively by myself, unless I am with my dog. Which sadly isn't as often as it used to be now that she is getting older. Roxie's distance PR is 18 miles. Smile I would be okay running the NBT by myself in the early morning, but evenings would freak me out - maybe it is an unfounded feeling, but I believe that more freaks would be out and about after dinner hours than pre-dawn.

13 miles today with Badger at Sag Valley. I really like it there for the hills, but it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get there.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Welcome Jerry! The rain slowed down significantly after 1PM - what a relief! We saw that sign today. I'm not a Bears fan, but I have to admit I was a bit shocked a company would want themselves associated with that sign.

Nice runs Sharz and Anne! I run almost exclusively by myself, unless I am with my dog. Which sadly isn't as often as it used to be now that she is getting older. Roxie's distance PR is 18 miles. Smile I would be okay running the NBT by myself in the early morning, but evenings would freak me out - maybe it is an unfounded feeling, but I believe that more freaks would be out and about after dinner hours than pre-dawn.

13 miles today with Badger at Sag Valley. I really like it there for the hills, but it is a bit of a pain in the butt to get there.

Command Transport looks like a "interesting"  place to work judging by their website, so the sign is not too surprising.  Told my wife to put it on her job hunting watch list.  lol !!!!

Sharz96

10 miles, DesPlaines River Trail; 21.5 for the week.

Oh, did I crash and burn the last two miles.  Last week was my first 10 miler and I started out very conservative for the first half, then not quite so much so in the second have, finished strong, felt good.  So I decided I wouldn't be so conservative this time, and about half way through mile six, I still felt good, so I stopped pulling myself back when I noticed the pace creeping up, because it still felt easy.  Mistake.  I died just into the 9th mile and by the beginning of the 10, I had dropped two minutes off the prior pace.  I picked it up again a little in the last half mile, enough so that the 10th mile averaged out no worse than the 9th, but it was bad.  Everything just hurts--so different from last week. 

Next week will be 10 again, but I'll go back to being more conservative for the first 8 miles.  Last two, I'll pick it up if I can, but not until then.