Windy City Runners

Weeklies Jan 21-Jan 27 (Read 17 times)

Duke of the Internet

So who are you rooting for, Ravens or 49ers?  I'm all in for the Ravens.  I think it will be a great Superbowl.

Sharz96

Rest day for me.

Ravens.  I like the Niners well enough, and I typically root for the NFC champion (unless it's Dallas) but I love Ray Lewis, so it's the Ravens this year.

Trail Dog

I'm a huge Falcons fan, so yesterday's loss was a disappointment. But not nearly as heartbreaking as last year's post-season loss against the Packers in the Dome. I was at the game, and I couldn't think about or talk about football for weeks. Last year was the first time my team made it into the post-season since I've been a fan, so it was tough. Thank goodness the Ravens won - I will never cheer for the Patriots, and the thought of cheering for the Niners just wasn't sitting well... My brother-in-law is from Baltimore so it works out well. Smile

Rest day today. Yesterday was 14 miles at Sag Valley near Palos. Those are really great trails - gravely double track but very hilly. I'm off work today because of MLK Day. Smile

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Badger - Runner's Edge hardly ever has the shoe I want but I occasionally buy stuff to support them. What was the result of your gait analysis?  You have gait?

Another TM run today at lunch.  7 miles.   Seemed to take forever.  Probably lost 5 lbs in sweat.   Mixed bag of folks at the gym given the MLK holiday.  8 miles tomorrow will be tough indoors because I'm sure as heck not running outside.

As for the Superbowl, I'm in for the 49ers but it will be a battle royal.  Simply put; I dislike Baltimore, primarily due to Ray Lewis.  Sorry Sharz96.   The whole "got away with being involved in a double homicide"  never sat well with me.   Their prior manager pissed me off too.    Now I have to put up with his story, which will conveniently leave out the murder charges.  No wonder he prays before and after each game.  He can't believe he's not in jail.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

BuckeyeNurse

I'll be rooting for the Niners, since I'm a Browns fan and rooting for the Ravens would be a mortal sin.  I was mostly hoping the entire stadium would be blown away during the Patriots/Ravens game, since I could never cheer for either team, but unfortunately that dream did not come true.  Just hoping for a good, entertaining game.

Did 14 on the TM at the gym yesterday during the early game- wow did those miles drag!  Looks like more TM miles tomorrow until the COLD cold snap lifts a little.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

4 miles at Weber Park track.  Thought it would be crowded due to holiday, but it wasn't.

Sharz96

2 miles today.

Just too freaking cold for any more.  -4F with "feels like" -12F.

Duke of the Internet

2 miles today.

Just too freaking cold for any more.  -4F with "feels like" -12F.

You win.  I ran on the treadmill.  I didn't even like driving to work today.

Sharz96

I would have used a treadmill if I had one, that's for sure.  And I have to admit, I did it only because hubby did, and I couldn't wimp out if he wasn't.  But oh, I wanted to!

Trail Dog

Sharz, you and your husband are pretty hard core! If I didn't have a treadmill, I guess I would have been outside today as well. How do you keep your face warm? I think that would be the hardest.

7 miles recovery pace on the treadmill. Now that we have a treadmill I'm able to catch up on television (which I never watch, except for sports). Comcast on Demand has some pretty good options, so I churned through Season 1 of Game of Thrones. Just started Season 2 today.

Sharz96

3 miles, 11F, not much wind, so MUCH better.

Face is definitely the hardest.  I have this balaclava:

http://www.rei.com/product/725707/seirus-combo-clava

If you look closely, you can see the bottom of the nose is open, and the mouth area has little holes for breathing.  It works pretty well for walking, but it just can't handle the volume of breath needed for running.  And it clouds up my glasses immediately, completely.  So I end up putting it up for maybe 15-20 seconds for my breath to warm up my nose and upper cheeks a bit, then pulling the nose piece down under my lips so I can breathe better.  And wipe off my glasses.  Five minutes later, back up.  Not much fun. Thankfully, I only need to use it for running a couple times a year.

Trail Dog

I have a fleece buff. I've only needed it a few times, but it works well (and in fact gets too warm). I put it around my neck, then pull it up over my mouth and nose and ears as needed. I also have an issue with my sunglasses clouding up and/or freezing.

anneb

I will be sticking to running on my treadmill this week, at least until Saturday!

Last winter I ran outside all of the time...I don't remember too many bad days, and like this year, there wasn't much snow. I have a Smartwool neck gaiter that I use when it's around 0 (wind chill or actual temp). I would pull it way up over my nose so really you could only see my eyes. Plus, since it is a gaiter (vs. balaclava) I felt like it was easier to move down when I didn't want it there.

Anne

Kalsarikännit

I ran outside last night and Sun and Mon morning. It wasn't that bad. I really love hitting the lakefront path in this weather. Normally there are so many people on it that no one acknowledges each other. On these cold days, you only see one or two other runners and everyone waves at each other. Hell, even a cyclist gave me a head nod.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Kalsarikännit

It reminds me of a shirt that I saw a lady give her boyfriend at a running event a few years ago. It was about the lakefront path.  It read, "If you're not on it in February, don't act like you own it in August".  It made me laugh.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart