Whitefish High School

Random School Project Thing- BILL PLEASE READ (Read 407 times)

Hey Bill, So I'm working on this paper for my anthropology class about Indian mascots in Montana High Schools, and I'm looking for information about the Flathead High School mascot and how/when it was chosen, if/how it has has changed over time, when the "bravettes" were introduced, etc. All the people I have contacted have ignored me, so as kind of a last hope I thought you might know something. This paper is due tomorrow (yeah procrastination is a bad thing) but if you know anything I would really appreciate your input. Thank you! Janna
      Janna, Here you go. When FHS was built in 1898, they didn't sit down that year and decide our name and school colors. Actually, until about 1920, the school athletic teams were referred to as the "high school team," "varsity," or "the football team" (or track or basketball). We were actually referred to as "the Yellowjackets" for a while because the uniforms we had were plain black with orange arm and legs stripes, and the players somewhat resembled bees. When new jerseys were ordered, they were orange with black stripes. When the players started wearing these, their new nickname quickly became "the Tigers." In November 1935, students of Flathead moved back into the newly remodeled high school. During the dedications ceremony, the administration unveiled a huge mural in the auditorium of Chief Aneas, appointed as chief of the Kootenais to unite the Braves. In 1972, when the Montana High School Association officially recognized girls' athletics, they realized they needed an official name for the girls. Inter Lake sports writer Les Rickey suggested the girls become the "Bravettes." Obviously, the name stuck. http://www.digisys.net/fhspub/00-01/march10/stories/backpage.htm
        THANK YOU! Seriously, I owe you big time. I can't believe I didn't come across that website myself. I have been searching for weeks. I'm coming home in a few weeks and am hoping to maybe make it to watch some conference races in Polson... hopefully I will see you then!
          That sounds great, we'll see you then. Bring your running shoes and I'll see if I can sneak you in. Bill
          Jacob Fern

Speaking of racing.... What's going on these days? It's been quite silent this spring, and since I haven't had time to search for results myself, the website is unfortunately outdated. I'll be home on the 20th (well, the 21st, really). Maybe I'll see you in Polson too, depending on how things work out.
              Yes. I would love to see those results as well! Jacob, does this mean you are going to be home for the summer? I will be across oceans for most of it, but we should definitely hang out if we're home at the same time. Maybe carpool to Polson on Saturday the 23rd?
                You guys have missed it - Bill has actually been racing himself this spring. First time in 6 years! You will be suprised when you see him, he has lost 34 pounds since November and been running quite a bit. He did the Summit Classic (4th overall) and we all did the Ice Breaker in Great Falls, and then Nicole went with us to Bloomsday this last weekend - what a zoo!
                Jacob Fern

Yes. I would love to see those results as well! Jacob, does this mean you are going to be home for the summer? I will be across oceans for most of it, but we should definitely hang out if we're home at the same time. Maybe carpool to Polson on Saturday the 23rd?
                  Yeah, I'll be home this summer. Things didn't work out with the whole internship thing, so it looks like I'll be working at the hotel again (if they're looking for someone...). I'll give you a call some time when I get home, and we can figure out how to get to Polson if you want. It's exciting that Bill's racing again... I'll have to get back into shape so that I can run with you guys again in the summer. How did Bloomsday go? I really liked that race, and it's too bad that I'm always in school when it happens. But I guess that I'm used to large races, since most of the ones that i'm in have 5000+ participants. It's cool, but sometimes it's also fun to run small ones.
                    -35 lbs. thank you.... I'm sorry about the race results, Jacob. I have them all, but I just have not had the time to sit down and dedicate the time to get them to you. My plan is to attempt to do that this Sunday. You'll get the whole bunch, and then you'll be cussing me for sending so much..... The runners had a good workout today on the track. Yeah, it's Thursday. 4 x 800 The girls did a cutdown of 5 seconds per (3:00, 2:53, 2:48, and 2:44) with Jess leading. I had Loni and Jackie take an easy day since Jackie's hip has been a bit sore since Monday. Loni is recovering from a cold. I figured since they've both been going since the beginning of the season that they could afford the off day (20 min run on grass). Megan Shaver did her's in 3:06, 3:06, 3:06 and 3:12. Which is pretty amazing when you think it wasn't long ago when she was racing her 800's in about 3:06. She's looking the best I've seen her, and she's never really liked track all that much. Stella and Bailey started really late because of skiiing and music, so their first race was last Saturday. They really are just beginning, but they are coming around pretty quickly. Drew caught a virus about 3 weeks ago, and still hasn't been able to completely shake it. His resting heart rate is still about 72 beats per minute. I told him he could race when it's below 60. Bill
                      Well excuuuuse me, i missed a pound. Anyway, Jacob, Bloomsday was interesting. The last time we did it we just run/walked with Nicole, that was the only time I had done the race. Needless to say running it is a lot different especially when you are in the green wave and have to weave from one side of the road to the next to try to find a spot to get through people. Then you finally get a steady pace going and bump into the yellow wave and have to try to run through those people, I cannot believe how slow these people were going! By the end of the race I was passing people in the end of the brown wave. I told Bill I probably ran 8.5 miles because of all the moving from one side of the road to the next. But, all in all it went okay. There were 45000 people in the entire race!
                        Hey... Do you know what I just realized. Sara has been understating the racing of the past few weeks. The big story is the fact that she has raced in both of the races. I mean "raced". At Ice Breaker she ran 21:55 to win her age group, and place 9th woman in the race. The race sent he a $20 gift card for her top ten finish. That mean's she got paid to run. Does that mean "professional"? Then at Bloomsday, she runs under one hour, even after passing all those people. The neat thing was that after I finished I was thinking, "boy, that sucked! There was too many people, I couldn't get by all the runners." I wasn't sure how to break it to Sara that I didn't want to start back there again. After she crossed the line she came up and said, "That was terrible, I don't want to do that again." For a person who doesn't like racing, it seems to be going well for her.
                          Yay Sara and Bill! Thats so awesome that you are both racing (even if Sara won't admit it Smile ) and it sounds like racing really well! Also it sounds like track season is getting exciting. I really hope I'll be able to make it to watch some of the races... Bill do you think it would be possible to get a copy of the saturday schedule ahead of time? If not I'm sure it will be fine too.
                            The schedule for Polson?
                              Yeah sorry that was unclear. I meant for conference on the 22nd and 23rd. I think I'm driving home with my parents on the 22nd and they might be willing to stop but more likely i would come down on saturday.
                              Anne Dan

Bill and Sara - that's so exciting that you are still so into running! With now 6 years of running, I just hope I will love it as much then as I do now. It is hard to get out a lot, but I try to keep it going....keep the fire! I have three more days of final exams...then I am free for a few days before we march around and "celebrate" the seniors "firsties" graduation for a few more days. I will be doing a lot of running between now and then. I would love to have seen that Bloomsday race; I think a group of us will be doing two marathons next year: the Cape Cod Marathon in the fall again, and the White Hills Marathon in New Mexico in the spring. We will see if this actually gets to a roster somewhere...we're working on it. Besides that, I just love reading this blog and hearing these cool updates. I have new inspiration to keep running these days; perhaps I will substitute some of my biking/stairs/cross trainer workouts with a few more runs. I will be in Whitefish (bringing along Marc Hodel this time) from May 23 to June 5 and I might be home again from August 4th to August 10th. So Maybe if I am lucky I will get to run with my favorite runners in this short window.