Whitefish High School

City Running (Read 294 times)

Well, I've been doing a little bit of running since I've been in Cambridge the last couple of days. Mostly, I've been running up and down Memorial Drive along the Charles. It's an interesting route, because it's very scenic if you turn completely sideways and only look at the river. Wink Otherwise you notice that you're sandwiched by a highway and running on an asphalt trail. Luckily, there's a dirt path beside the pavement, created, I'm sure, by other desperate runners having trail withdrawal. The biggest change for me, as far as running goes, is how unfriendly everyone is here. Most places I've been, even if people don't say hello on the street, runners will smile, wave or say hi when they pass each other. Here, people almost go out of their way to not make eye contact. It's rather disheartening. I really am having a great time in Cambridge, though, and the running isn't too bad, especially when I can hook up with a group (usually the Boston Marathon training group - it's pretty casual). I have one question for Bill, though: I've noticed the last two days that my left knee and the shin area right below my knee have been hurting. Like I said, I've been running on a lot of paved surfaces (and brick), but I haven't been going that far (about an average of 4-5 miles). I was wondering if you knew what could cause this, or what I should do about it. Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!
      It could be hurting for a number of reasons. My first guess may be the surface, especially something like brick. That's a tough surface to run on. It may be that jumping back into running right onto ashpalt may help to create the soreness. Be careful with knees. I'd suggest taking it easy every other day. Maybe even not running on the in between days until the soreness goes away. In most cases, running injuries can be attributed to doing too much, too soon. You'll want to be careful, because the running your doing gives you the ability to see more of the city, and meet different people, as well as give you a possible stress outlet. (plus, I hope it's kind of fun) Bill
        Thanks! Yeah, my knee's been feeling better the last couple of days. I went for a seven miler today and barely felt it, so I think I'm adjusting to the pavement. And I have been enjoying myself. Running has given me a chance to meet a few other people, and it guarantees that I do some physical activity to release stress and excess energy. It's interesting, too. For example, the other day I ran 26 of the 37 sections on the stadium steps, which was a new experience for me. It was kind of exciting, especially as our stadium has an uncanny resemblance to the Coliseum...