Whitefish High School

Question about sticking to a Plan (Read 323 times)

Anne Dan

Bill - Last week my roomie only ran three of the days due to an overloaded schedule. She is wondering if she should pick up where she left off, on that plan you gave her or if she should do a bunch of two mile runs. The actual two mile test is next week and she thinks two mile runs is the best way to prepare for the test. Also, her knees have been bothering her for about 10 days. I told her to get off the sidewalk and run on the grass when she can. She said that felt better then. Any suggestions? Thanks !!!!
      How much of the plan did she complete? Was it followed closely, or hit and miss? Sure she could pick up where she left off. The fact that running was missed due to other commitments leads one to believe that the running commitment isn't where is should be. Let's face it. We're talking about twenty minutes for a couple of miles. As you may remember, motivation can go a long way with distance running. For racing, the rule of thumb is double the race distance. For a two mile race, be prepared to do four for the average training run. Typically, race pace is not used much in training, so the extra distance takes up the rate of speed issue. Running two miles easy, and two miles at race pace are quite different, even if the distance is the same. Bill
      Anne Dan

She stuck to the plan exactly up to last week, and she says if she was honest with herself she said she could have pushed herself harder in the sprints. We just did a sub-15 minute two mile, which is almost a minute faster than her last APFT run time. Christina says thank you for the plan, and she will continue to follow it and enjoys seeing her improvements, even if they are not what she had wanted them to be....she is not giving up just yet. In the mean time I ran for an hour on the treadmill yesterday....because there was a show about sharks on the TV!!! I am completely in love with sharks, they are my favorite animal, so it was easy to keep running to be able to watch that great white animal rip up baby seals and whales....fascinating, and a little sick and twisted perhaps Smile School is good, it is pretty hard. Ski Team is awesome, it is super fun. Running is still there. I enjoy getting out a few times a week for the local trails around here. Hopefully a marathon is in the future of the next 6 months. Life sucks on a day-to-day basis, because if the grueling school work, and wearing unwashed uniforms..... On the up-side, I will be in Costa Rica for spring break, getting some runs in on the beaches, in between surfinv lessons! This summer I will be going on a mediterranean cruise with this significant other...his name is Marc Hodel, he is a junior on my racing team. He speaks French fluently and recently returned from a semester abroad in France....After this trip I will be a "squad leader" for summer leadership military training. Then I will be at Chilean Mountain school in Chile, learning how to build ice caves, skiing and hopefully getting in some interesting runs!! okay, theres an update I thought someone might enjoy, toast! -anne
          Wow! That's a lot of information. I'm glad to hear that you are doing some cool things. I'm sure that the trip to costa rica will be a lot of fun, and no snow!!!!! The cruise should be fun as well. I'm glad to hear that you're friend followed the program. This last couple of weeks should be fine, even if she backs off. It may even help her to be ready to roll. If she goes into the test with an aggresive attitude and confidence, she should do very well. With the adrenaline, it should be quite a bit faster than her time trial. She should treat it as a race, something special that she should try for the best possible finish. No compromises when it comes to racing. Have fun with the skiing. We have had a bunch of snow during the past day and a half. It's winter again. Bill