Whitefish High School

New Year - New Goals! (Read 459 times)

Okay, Here's your chance for new year resolutions (goals). If you have the guts to show the world (and maybe that will help to to stay on task) then here's the spot to throw it out there. I'll start: 1) I'm planning on jumping back into racing this spring. I have several races on my list. The Ice Breaker Road race in Great Falls, The Summit Classic here in Kalispell, and Bloomsday in Spokane. I'd also like to jump into the Whitefish Lake run this spring. 2) That means I'll need to get back into racing form. I've been carrying a few extra pounds lately, but I've been determined to shed these by means of a better diet and consistant running. 3) I've set a goal to be uncatchable for our boys on the cross country team. It's my goal to help them by doing more running with them. If they have the courage to stay with me, Maybe I'll be able to help them reach where they want to go. It's been a couple of years since I've felt comfortable running with the boys. This is the year. 4) 365 days in a row of running. That's right a streak. I've been going at it since the end of November (feel free to view the log). As you can see, I'm just doing what I've suggested for everyone else for years. Gradual buildup and consistancy. 5) Add my old running logs on this site. I've begun with 1981 (that not the first year, but the one I happen to grab first). It's been a trip down memory lane so far. As I've been telling you all. Keep a log. It's a lot of fun to see what you've done in the past and actually quite motivational for the future. 6) Find a way to keep Loni from getting injured prior to track season this year!!!!! 7) Figure a way to get Janna and Jacob back into running. It's just putting one foot in front of the other, setting goals and achieving them. Thinking about what your going to do, and doing it. Being able to put on running shoes, instead of hiking boots and go three times as far as you would have in a hike. Enjoying the fact that you can run forever when others can't even imagine it. 8) Get fast enough to keep Sara from running backward while talking with me on a run. Bill
    Anne Dan

Bill first question: Can you provide a good 8 week training plan for my roommate? She currently runs a 15:30 two-mile and needs to reach 13:00 minute two mile by end of Feburary for "sapper school" tryouts. Also, I loved those resolutions, that's sweet to get back into racing! here's what I've compiled for me: 1) Do yoga/ relaxation exercises everyday (to relieve academic stress) 2) Do not buy donuts and coffee from "Choc full O' Nuts" for 2009 (I think the daily pit stop at our campuses only coffee shop cost me several hundred dollars!) 3) Brush teeth everyday 4)"Make what you like to eat" (in other words, quality vs. quantity - cut back on junk foods and sugar highs!) 5)Run 5 x a week, using it as therapy and relaxation Well there you have it, so far I am 5 for 5 and have kept up with this. I have really gotten into yoga and find it pretty fun plus it enhances flexibilty, strength and breathing. I should have contacted you to run over winter break....next time I would love to do that since I know you guys still run all the time, but I know it's hard to coordinate sometimes Smile
        Anne, Great Goals! I'm glad that you've found a great experience with yoga. That's cool. Keep it fun!!! I've had to really do some reworking with my diet, but it seems to be working. My weight is coming down. In regards to your roommate. Tell me more? I know what she can do two miles in, and I know where she wants to get in eight weeks. What is she doing right now? the past two to four weeks? In order for a plan to work, I need to know where is she beginning. Also, What does she think of running? Is it easy for her, or hard for her to do? Does she like it? or hate it? Has she done any running for an extended period, like eight weeks before, or just hit-or-miss in the past? Does she have the proper footwear and attire to begin? Does she have nice places to run, and people to run with? or is she doing it all on her own? Basically, it's easy for me to give her a plan, but the hard part is making it work. You know that the motivation is worth more than the workouts. Goals are important, but having the ability to make a plan work is even more important. The better, more specific the plan is for the individual, the better the chance at success. What's the weather like where you are? What exactly is sapper school? Give me information, and I'll see what I can put together for your friend. Bill
        Love to run

Okay, Here's your chance for new year resolutions (goals). If you have the guts to show the world (and maybe that will help to to stay on task) then here's the spot to throw it out there. I'll start: 1) I'm planning on jumping back into racing this spring. I have several races on my list. The Ice Breaker Road race in Great Falls, The Summit Classic here in Kalispell, and Bloomsday in Spokane. I'd also like to jump into the Whitefish Lake run this spring. 2) That means I'll need to get back into racing form. I've been carrying a few extra pounds lately, but I've been determined to shed these by means of a better diet and consistant running. 3) I've set a goal to be uncatchable for our boys on the cross country team. It's my goal to help them by doing more running with them. If they have the courage to stay with me, Maybe I'll be able to help them reach where they want to go. It's been a couple of years since I've felt comfortable running with the boys. This is the year. 4) 365 days in a row of running. That's right a streak. I've been going at it since the end of November (feel free to view the log). As you can see, I'm just doing what I've suggested for everyone else for years. Gradual buildup and consistancy. 5) Add my old running logs on this site. I've begun with 1981 (that not the first year, but the one I happen to grab first). It's been a trip down memory lane so far. As I've been telling you all. Keep a log. It's a lot of fun to see what you've done in the past and actually quite motivational for the future. 6) Find a way to keep Loni from getting injured prior to track season this year!!!!! 7) Figure a way to get Janna and Jacob back into running. It's just putting one foot in front of the other, setting goals and achieving them. Thinking about what your going to do, and doing it. Being able to put on running shoes, instead of hiking boots and go three times as far as you would have in a hike. Enjoying the fact that you can run forever when others can't even imagine it. 8) Get fast enough to keep Sara from running backward while talking with me on a run. Bill
          Love to run

i tryed to quote the goal of keeping Loni uninjured. Well, im not injured , my hips are out of alignment again, which is what caused the IT band thing, so im going to the chiropractor on Wednesday. To keep my hips aligned i have to do my excercises, so my new years resolution is to Do my excercises. But everything will be fine, absolutly no worries. Oh and i havent ran in two days because of my hips but I have been riding the bike. I will get back on the road wednesday after school and make sure i do my excercises and stretch to keep me healthy! Loni
            Anne Dan

Hey Bill, here's from my roommate: Well I've been running pretty consistently this year. Last semester I did about a 3 mi run every morning if time premitted and everynow and then would do a long run but I have never really done a speed work out. What my plan was for this semester was to work on doing 5 mi every otherday and then using the tredmil on the other days to force my self to increase my pace. I am getting ready to get a new pair of running shoes. Lastly I dont love running but since ive started running consistently I dont hate it as much anymore. Id really appreciate any advice or help in addition to the tryouts I'd really just like to improve my running ability overall.Thanks for your time.
              Anne Dan

Bill - also i was wrong, i meant to say "SERE School" which has nothing to do with running really, it's a simulated training for future pilots where they are fake captured and tortured....doesnt really apply to my roommates 2 mile test training though Big grin. In any case, she has been running on and off all year, and hopefully the info she provided will help narrow down her training options. I will run with her more once our schedules overlap better!
                  Anne, Thanks for the info. Let me think about it and I will put a suggested plan together for your friend. It doesn't take a whole lot to run under 14 minutes for 2 miles. To run under 13 minutes for 2 miles is a little tougher. As you may remember, you did it once as a sophmore (12:49 at divisionals), and then didn't want to run it again. (so, I never put you in it after that.) An individual really needs to be a runner to accomplish the goal, as it means a person would need to run the first mile under 6:20 to make it possible to do a 6:40 for the second mile. This means that an individual would need to be able to run under 3:00 for an 800 meter segment, and would have an opportunity to do that if they could go under 80 seconds for the 400. All of this would need to be accomplished in additon to a gradual increase in mileage, as to not become injured, which would pretty much put an end to the plan altogether. eight week schedule to sub 13:00 two miles First Week of running - time to get used to consistancy and survivability. Do not run hard. Do not run fast, and for heaven's sake to not do more than the listed distance!!!!!! (15 miles for the week) Easy means you can talk while running. It shouldn't be tough. M - Easy 2 miles T - Easy 3 miles W - Easy 2 miles T - Easy 3 miles F - Easy 2 miles S - Easy 3 miles S - day off from running Week two - slight increase in mileage - add one moderate day. (18 miles for week) m - 2 miles easy t - 4 miles easy w - 2 miles easy t - 4 miles moderate (middle 2 miles) (this pace should be faster, maybe not "talking" pace. f - 2 miles easy s - 4 miles easy s - day off rom running Week three - Even more mileage - add a second moderate day (21 miles for week) m- 2 miles easy t- 5 miles - moderate w-2 miles easy t- 5 miles - moderate f-2 miles easy s- 5 miles easy s- day off from running Week four - Even more mileage - (24 miles for week) m- 3 miles easy t- 5 miles - moderate w-3 miles easy t- 5 miles - moderate f-3 miles easy s- 5 miles easy s- day off from running Week five - Even more mileage - (27 miles for week) m- 3 miles easy t- t- Specific workout (6 miles total) 2 mile warm up run timed segments - 4 x 2 minutes moderate, followed by 2 minutes easy jogging. 2 mile cool down run w-3 miles easy t- 6 miles - moderate steady state run. f-3 miles easy s- 6 miles easy s- day off from running Week six - Even more mileage - (30 miles for week) m- 3 miles easy t- Specific workout (5 miles total) 1.5 mile warm-up, then stretch followed by: (segment workout - 4 x 400 at 90 second pace, with an easy 400 slow jog between then, 2 x 200 at sub 40 second pace) 1.5 mile cool down run w-3 miles easy t- Specific workout (5 miles total) 1.5 mile warm up run timed segments - 8 x 30 second hard, followed by 1:30 easy jogging. then 2 x 90 second fast segments with equal jog recovery) 1.5 mile cool down run f-3 miles easy s- 8 miles easy - long s- day off from running Week seven - almost there, so don't worry about mileage total for the week. m- 3 miles easy t- Specific workout (5 miles total) 1.5 mile warm-up, then stretch followed by: (segment workout - start with 2 x 800 at 3:00 second pace, with an easy 800 slow jog between) 1.5 mile cool down run w-3 miles easy t- Specific workout (5 miles total) 1.5 miles easy run for warm-up the go right into workout on the roads (time segments: 6 x 1 minute fast (faster than race pace), with 2 min. recovery 1.5 miles easy run for cool down f-3 miles easy Goal Day s- 1.5 warm- up - stretch 2 mile time trial - sub 13 minutes. 1.5 mile cool- down s- day off from running Also, stay away from the treadmill unless you want to hate running, or unless the weather forces it. It's better to run over the ground than having the ground run under you. The workouts in the second half of the workout plan will allow you to get used to running fast, so don't worry. You must try to have the confidence to not do too much, too soon. Be patient, and stay consistant with the weeks. In the end, the opportunity should exist for a fast race. This is a seven week program that will offer a chance for a sub 13 in an 8 week period. Good luck. Bill
                  Love to run

hey bill, Went to the chiropractor, feel much better , a little sore, but no pain. im gonna ride the bike for two days , then run more. Talk to you soon! Loni
                    Anne Dan

Bill my roommate really liked your plan and she and i are going to do it together, for the motivation and comraderie....i am on the alpine ski racing team now so we are gone a lot for now but i can still run in the snow! woo hoo, thanks for the plan, i will try to help her stick to it plus, i can get some more running in...Cool
                      Love to run

Bill Im feeling much better. Im supposed to be a little sore after getting my hips put back, but i think riding the bike helped me. I am starting to do my stretches everyday so my hips will be strong. But , im ready to run super fast in track, i will just have to keep training tho, easy for a couple days. Loni
                          Easy, is no big deal. Runners run. That's what they do. Biker's bike, and swimmers swim. You're going to need to figure out how to fit consistancy into your training. A little every day is worth more than large numbers twice or three times a week. The body has a hard time handling the stopping and starting, that happens with lack of consistancy. Don't worry about miles, or distance, or how fast the running is. Get out and enjoy the fact that you're running. You ran for several years prior to getting your hips re-aligned, so it's my assumption that you would be able to do the same after. I don't mean to come across as being harsh, but I know your goals, and I know you can't reach them on an exercise bike. Bill
                            Loni, Nice!!!! I see that you went for a 3 miler on Saturday. Now, that's what I'm talking about. Just keep those coming, and all will be great this spring. One day in a row! That's how it all begins, just like a snowball rolling downhill, by the time it reaches the bottom it's a huge snowboulder. Great Job!!! Bill
                            Love to run

Thanks bill. Im just trying to be extra careful. I want to have a great season. Im spending to much time worrying though. I realized what you meant by consistancy , i dont need 7 miles to keep me in shape. I will just be consistant and just run like i run. You didnt come as harsh , i needed it to figure out what im doing. thanks a bunch. Loni
                              Love to run

lets get this thing running again people! where have you all been? semester tests just got over! fell the other day. hurt but im fine. anything new?