Whitefish High School

Okay, Anne, what's up? (Read 302 times)

Your training looks great. But, there are no race results.... Something tells me there is something up.... Bill
    Anne Dan

Bill, About two weeks ago I quit the cross country team in light of pursuing higher standards in academics (ehem...such as passing all classes this time around and getting above a 2.0!). I had a bad few weeks running-wise back...I was sick with some form of food poisoning for a week...followed by a posion sumack episode from taking a pit stop on a run when i had that food poisoning. That aside, I have mentally checked myself out for motivation and desire to run on the golf course or ski slope ever again. Yes, it was a hard decision to leave the sport, but life is not always garanteed happy decisions all-around...it is about compromises and prioritizing my time as best as possible with "cadet life at west point" as the focus right now. I was not happy to be there running, and I broke down a number of times when my coach confronted me about my efforts to try in the workouts. It has been really wierd, because Anne loves pain, and the "runner's high" and the hard workouts. All last year, it was a great escape, but this year I am so much happier and more social as a "yearling" that running didnt provide the same outlet. Rather i felt trapped having to run on base on the roads, up the same hills, up to the same golf course loops and hill-repeats. It was not appealing. While running here has led to great friends, teammates and mentors, it is still extremely hard to accomplish everything I am being asked of, between the 23 credit load and running. Everyone kept telling me to "do what makes me happiest..." recall that i sang in high school choirs and ensembles and in the community musical productions?? well now I run in the mornings and on trails on the weekends and I am in Glee Club. Check out PBS in November and you will see us on TV in a live-recorded concert. We are singing with the New York Orchestra in Carnegie Hall in 4 weeks as well, in a Russion Opera as well...just like XC, there are many cool opportunites to partake in in Glee Club. Singing is another passion, along with running, and I wanted that back in my life, to at least compensate for the lack of emotion and expression at this school...hehehe, a bargain I was well aware of and have now found the solution to. I still hope my whitefish, and west point XC teams do quite well this season and i often run with the girl's team on trail runs...but I made a decision and so far, academic-tutoring/time wise it seems to be the best decision.