Whitefish High School

IT Band plan for Jacob (Read 159 times)

Jacob, I've been doing more research on the IT band situation and I think I may have a plan that will help. I'm sure that the strain on your IT band is due to a couple of issues. One, a bit of overpronation due to the speed of your running during the off season. I'm figuring that it led to you to supinate a bit more than typical in the earlier part of your landing pattern, and that led to an over pronation upon take-off with the more agressive movement to the inside ball of the foot. This was different than you were typically used to. This, along with a probable leg length differential may be leading to the problem. Here's a suggestion that may work. Go out to a local drug store and purchase a pair of Doctor Scholls 3/4 length insoles. They must be the ones made of leather with a foam arch cookie. It will be tan or brown and will be for each foot. The price will run under $20.00. The reason for this particular brand is that the leather will mold to your foot as your run with it in your shoe. It's going to give you a bit more support under your arch, so that it slows your pronation down to a normal rate, (or closer to normal). You should be able to use this in both your training and racing shoes. Give this same information to Drew, or arrange to buy two pair and get re-embursed. He wears the same size as you, so two of the same size will work, and save the leg work. Get this done as soon as possible. If you can't find them check Grocery stores, or the Mart type stores. The key is the brand, Dr. Scholls. Let me know when you actually have these. I'm about to head out to run here in Vegas. It looks a lot warmer than in Kalispell. Bill
    Jacob Fern

Sounds good.... I'll talk to drew tomorrow and pick some up. I didn't do the 400 workout today, like you said on tuesday. Instead, i just went out and did around 3 miles easy. I felt my knee around the same time that i usually do (around 1.5 miles), but i kept on going. Surprisingly, it did just kind of go away after that. Still feel very out of shape, and I was pretty tired when i got back. and the rain and hail didn't help. I was planning on going to the wave to do a little water running in addition, but when i got there i noticed that my knee had started hurting again... pretty bad. Plus, my calves are super sore. I had a very difficult time walking this morning. It took quite a bit of effort to get down the stairs... So i didn't water run. I did go for 1:08 yesterday though. Do you think I should do it tomorrow before Libby?
        Jacob, Keep it easy today. Maybe an easy two miles as usual before a meet. Don't be afraid to run in the JV section of the race if you feel that it would be better for your fitness level at this point. I don't want you to feel like your going to be in trouble with the rate of speed in the race. Did Drew do the track workout yesterday? Bill
        Jacob Fern

Yeah, he did, although I haven't had a chance to talk to him, and I didn't stick around to see how many he ended up doing. (It was pretty nasty outside...) I can ask him about how it felt when I talk to him this afternoon.