Whitefish High School

Grrr... (Read 129 times)

So it turns out that the foot pain I complained about in my running log yesterday is a bit more serious than I thought. At least I think it is. As the night went on last night the pain got way worse on the outside of my arch and just under the outside bone from my heel to just before where your foot kind of curves out. And today the situation got even worse as I hobbled around campus in pretty much excruciating pain that now tends to shoot into my arch further and actually makes my whole leg ache if I walk for too long. So I went to see the trainer and she said that most likely that outside tendon is irritated but that there is a small possibility that it is some kind of fracture (not remembering the term she used) but probably not because that usually involves some kind of trauma like an ankle sprain or something. Or it could be an outside arch strain (again probably not the right term, but the arch on the outside of my foot not the regular one). So she wrapped it for me and told me to ice and such and hopefully it will feel better in a couple days. It's really frustrating because I have no idea what could possibly have caused this. It's true that I never really have run on treadmills before but isn't it about the same as running outside? Bill, I'm hoping for your input/advice... thanks.
      Janna, What shoes were you were? Running on a treamill is actually a bit different than running outside. The ground moves under your feet, wheras outside you feet move over the ground. A person tends to land much more fore footed on a treadmill. I would assume that the injury is most likely from the treadmill run. You'll need to wear the most rigid shoes you own. Don't get up on your toes, if possible, as that's what will cause the pain. It's the streching of that tendon. It's most likely not a bone issue. It's a tendon deal. I've had a similiar problem before. At your age it will heal relatively quickly if you give it a chancel. Take a week and let it get to the point that you can walk without feeling it. Then give it another week before running. Take the opportunity to go out for a few walks when you can handle it. Go the same places that you would run. It won't be too bad. Try not to do the indoor fitness thing for a couple of weeks. That would usually lead to more depression than it's worth. Did you know that Gerry Lindgren suffered through stress fractures in his foot for two spring track seasons in a row, when he was a soph and a junior in high school. He was unbelievable, yet still ran into injury problems. He felt that it made him better, because when he couldn't run, it gave him time to miss it, so that when he was able to start again, he was really motivated. Good Luck, and maybe new shoes. (or at least stay off the treamill for a while.) Bill
        Well the shoes are the same Asics Gel Nimbus's I have been running in for over a year now (I got this particular pair relatively recently and they are still in great shape) so I don't think that's the problem. I think it must have just been something about running on the treadmill. And I have no intention of getting back on a treadmill anytime soon... it was a temporary solution for the ridiculously icy sidewalks that have overtaken walla walla for the time being. but in any case i definitely dont think i will be doing any running for the next week at least... thanks bill!
          Janna, I figured the shoes were most likely okay, but you never know just how much a poor, starving college student may try to sqeeze out of a pair of shoes. Think positive and it will work out quicker than you'd imagine. Maybe add some weight machine work (upper body) to give you some exercise. I just left a message for Loni on lifting. A good circut would keep you occupied for a couple of weeks. Stay off anything that has you using your feet (ie. calf type exercises are out!!!!). Bill