Whitefish High School

Drug testing (Read 145 times)

It is interesting that every since I put in my 2 cents worth nobody has commented on the subject at all. No comments even on what I wrote hmmm...
    Jacob Fern

I don't think it's anything personal... The reason i'm not commenting is becasue I'm just really tired of the subject. My dad has been dealing with it for a long time now, and I'm always talking with him about it. I've honestly got to the point where I don't really care anymore. It doesn't effect me, so whatever... As far as your comments, I do agree with what you're saying. I think the trouble is that there aren't any good solutions to the problem. I don't see drug testing as a solution, and I think it would be stupid to institute a program that is invasive of rights, very expensive, and very damaging to the moral of the school if there are no proven results. Why is the medical community against the idea? Why do counselors oppose it? Because scientifically, it has no effect on drug use. Yeah, there's a problem, and no, I don't have a better idea, but I think that drug testing is the wrong choice.
        Jacob, I guess I am a little disappointed that for the whole previous conversation, it was "poor me" the athlete, I was kinda hoping you guys would respond to this about our feelings as coaches: b>How do you think this makes us feel? You are coming from a students point of view, but, what about from our point of view as people who care about these athletes and about the team as a whole? You can not believe the level of disappointment we felt. We genuinely have cared for each athlete over the years and have enjoyed seeing individual success as well as the teams. There is also the fact that even though it was only a few that were caught, it makes us wonder how many more there were who did not get caught. These few were Seniors and "role models" what kind of message does this send? If we were not extremely diligient in keeping up on the rest of the team, these "role models" could have taken down the whole team, there may not have been a state championship. Most of the girls team were young freshman who could more easily be swayed by peer pressure than older kids that are more sure of themselves. It just goes to show that a few "bad apples" can spoil a whole team. My question is where do we go from here? Now that our trust has been abused, we cannot be as free to give it. Now we have to assume there will be alcohol. We have had many discussions on what we could do different, what we did wrong and how can we prevent it in the future. b>
        Jacob Fern

I don't want to be dismissive, but I think it would be best if I didn't carry out the conversation online. It just seems like a really impersonal and ineffective way of talking about a controversial topic, and it leads to a lot of misunderstandings. I'm not an english major, so I have a feeling that a lot of what I write could be taken the wrong way. I'd be happy to talk about it on a long run sometime though. All I can say is that I understand what you're saying, and I really do feel sorry that you were one of the coaches that had to deal with this problem. I think I can speak for everyone when I say that we all value the dedication that you and Bill have for this team. I'm really sorry that your trust was taken advantage of... I would be (and am) extremely disappointed that someone would have the poor judgment to do something like that.