Whitefish High School

Spring Break Activities (Read 229 times)

so I am currently in Vancouver, British Columbia at the Sylvia Hotel. It's sweet because its right outside of stanley park and i am going to get up in the morning to run through the park along the ocean. i have already seen like a gazillion runners today, which is very exciting. this morning i ran in Hope, which is where the movie rambo (spelling?) was filmed, but unfortunately i havn't actually seen the movie so it wasn't that exciting. i tried to find a track in the town but was very unsuccessful. i did get to go down a fire pole though. anyway, i hope you all are having fun running at pig farm. and you should tell everyone who ran in cfalls congrats...and tell clare that she is amazing. my hero. hehe. happy spring break!
    Jacob Fern

Well that sounds fun... It would be nice to be able to run here, since it's finally a warm place. There are some trails nearby that would be really great to run on, but unfortunately.... Anyway, I had to get up at 4:00 yesterday morning and i got to the airport at around 5:00. I figured that I would need around an hour to get my ticket and go through security. I met my cousin there, and we got done just a few minutes before 5, but for some reason they weren't bording the plane yet. They kept on telling us that it would only be a few more minutes, but they wouldn't say what was going on. We sat around in the airport for another 45 minutes before we were able to get on the plane. once the plane acutally got in the air, they decided that they would land in missoula again, and we sat around on the plane again for another half hour before we left again. I got here at around 12, and we went out to eat at this little mexican place with really good burritos, then we came to my aunt and uncle's house. I haven't really done much since I've been here, but it's nice and warm, which is nice. I think that we're going to go to the ocean tomorrow, and we are going to san francisco on thursday. I got some good news though... I got into a place called Cooper Union. It's a really small college that's in New York. It's actually in downtown Manhattan. But here's the really cool part... the tuition is free. All i have to pay for is room and board, and I might even get financial aid for that. Anyway... that's pretty much my spring break. -Jacob
        Janna and Jacob, First of all. I'm envious. Stanley park is an great place to run. The trails can go forever. Be sure to look for the sun, and keep your eyes open. If I remember there can be some squirrely trails in the center of the park. As far a Manhattan and Cooper Union. Clare is going to be running in Central Park, which has to be within 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile from downtown Manhattan. It's kind of a weird fate kind of thing. Now I'm just trying to figure out the Canadian twist to the whole fate thing. Have fun. And stay out of the riptides. Bill
        Shane Hanson

I've been in Boston for a few days and I just finished my first run since I got here. I picked out a good easy six mile route and set out. What I didn't know is that Boston is a maze. I didn't bring a cell phone (for lack of a place to put it), and I didn't have any money for a cab or train ticket back, and somehow, I managed to get on some streets that I still don't have any clue how it happened. My 6 mile run turned into a 10 miler.
          Love to run

pretty much just running and homework for me! fun , huh! anyways, i better go start on my awful homework! Loni
              Yeah, running in Stanley Park was pretty fun. I went out for about 6 miles and about half of that was on the ocean and the other half in some pretty sketchy woods. Actually today was my 4th day in a row running on the ocean which is pretty sweet, not something I get to do very often. We're in Victoria right now and I did a short run in Beacon Hill Park before dinner. There was an amazing amount of runners there...it was crazy. It's a bit hard to actually get in a decent run because I usually have to do it while the rest of my family is walking the dogs in whatever park. But they have been very accomodating and it's good because they know where I am and stuff. We spent the last three days in this tiny town called Uecluet (i think i spelled it wrong) and we went whale watching and saw 5 or 6 orcas very close to the boat killing a sea lion. it was probably one of the coolest things i have ever seen. Anyway, Jacob, congrats on the new york school! that is so sweet...crazy how those things work. I don't know if i already posted it on here but i didn't get into Yale and Middlebury wait listed me. so now its not so hard to make the decision between middlebury and whitman. but bates did offer me quite a large amount of money so i'll have to see how it compares to whitman. Anyway, I'm glad everyone seems to be having a good spring break and I'm looking forward to getting home soon. We're heading back into the states tomorrow and driving most of the way Saturday. Oh, and running at sea level is wonderful! Big grin See you all soon!
              Jacob Fern

just got back from california today. It was really fun... I actually got to relax for once. We went to san francisco on thursday, and walked around all day. None of the parents came, which was nice, so we got to do whatever we wanted. My girl cousins went shopping, and the rest of us went into china town and looked around for quite a while. I was looking for some good tea, which is impossible to get around here, so i went into this little tea shop that advertised free samples. As soon as we went in, this old Chinese guy came up to us and demanded that we all sit down (he wasn't just being polite... he actually was quite forceful). There were five of us there, and we all sat down at the long bar that went the length of the shop. He turned out to be a really cool guy. He made us call him "Uncle Gee", because he claimed to be 75 years old. I didn't believe him. He looked 40. I guess that says something about the power of tea. Anyway, he started making us different kinds of tea, and we all sat around for over an hour just tasting teas. It was actually really interesting. and it worked, because all of us ended up buying quite a bit of tea from him. And his tea was not cheep (one of them was $115/lb). after that we walked down height street, which was an interesting experience. I've actually been there about a year ago (during last spring break), but I didn't really get to see anything last time. my car had just been towed, and I was trying to find the bus schedule so i could get to the impound before it closed. Other than san francisco, the trip was pretty straight forward. We didn't really go out to eat or anything, which is too bad since there are some really good restaurants there. On tuesday we went to the coast and stayed there for a couple of hours. It was in the 70's the whole time, but there was a cold breeze, so it wasn't really the weather to go swimming. Instead, I just sat around in the sun and got a terrific sunburn. There was a really cool area where I could have run if I was able. It was a huge park that went up into the hills that surround the bay area. The first couple of miles wouldn't have been too fun, since they were crowded with people, but after that, it would have been really cool. It went up a fairly steep trail that was shaded by ancient trees all around. most of the trees were "bay trees", (the same type of plant that produces the bay leaves that you use for cooking. except you wouldn't want to eat these ones.) and there were some pine trees as well. At the top, you could see the entire bay area since it was one of the highest points in the area. It was also surprisingly clear... no smog or haze. On the way back down, the trail followed the path of a small creek that slowly wound down the mountain (or hill, depending on how you look at it). The trail had lots of little bridges and walls... it would have been very cool to run on. The only downfall was that there was poison oak all over, so you had to be really careful not to go through it. Oh, and i lost my ipod on the flight out, which really annoyed me. So that's pretty much it. I expect a full report from everyone else now. -Jacob
                  Jacob, here is my update. The kids and I went to Florida for spring break, the weather was great. I ran a crappy route each day in the suburbs, but, I still ran and then I did a lot of walking. My mom has 2 -5 month old golden retrievers, so I walked them twice a day. The kids and I went to the beach a few times, Jordan got sea lice! He broke out all over his chest and arms, we had to take him to the doctor and get medicine to get rid of it. Other than that we went shopping, to a movie, a car show, and hung out by the pool. I hope everyone had a fun spring break. Oh, and I got a sinus infection, so I am a little miserable at the moment. I will probably be there to run one day this week, at least I will try. Sara
                  Jacob Fern

I have to ask... What is sea lice? Is that like swimmer's itch? I've never had it, but my brother did, and it didn't look fun. too bad about the sinus infection... I'm sure the plane ride didn't help too much. I had a cold when I was flying once, and I couldn't hear for two weeks afterward. I was never able to pop my ears, so it felt like my head was going to explode the whole time. I spent most of the trip with my fingers in my ears, trying to even out the pressure. It didn't work. Hopefully I'll be able to run this week... my knee has felt good all week, so things are looking good. We'll see on monday...
                      Jacob, How has the reading assignment gone so far? Bill
                      Jacob Fern

well, I read about a lot of the injuries, but I cannot say that it's the most thrilling book that I've ever read... It's a bit dry. I'll go through it again tonight to see if there's anything else that catches my eye. Like i said before, my knee has been feeling really good all week... I haven't run on it for over two weeks now, so it should be getting better at this point. I purposefully left all of my running stuff at school so that I wouldn't be tempted to go out and test it... It was tough to not run while in California, but fortunately, I only had crocs with me, which aren't the greatest running shoes. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying it out again tomorrow. I'm sure I won't be able to run at the meet on tuesday, since I won't have enough practices, but will I be able to run on saturday?
                          I'd like to have you try it in the water first. I'm remembering our first attempt before break, and although you didn't notice it at first, you noticed it when you tried to run outside. Come to practice, and do not do the team warm-up. Don't even dress out. Then after our team meeting time, I'll have you go to the wave and water run for about half an hour. If you can do that without pain, Then we'll attempt that for most of the week. I'm hoping that we may be ready for dry land at the end of the week if everything looks good. Did you get another pair of shoes? We'll need to try something there. I may have a pair for you, as we wear the same size. I want you in something different for this spring. As far as meets are concerned, I'm not sure if we'd want to run on the weekend, but let's see how it goes this week. I'm thinking that perhaps next Tuesday at the Bigfork relays may be a better place to start. Let's give it a couple of pool workouts first. In regard to reading, try these selections: Chapter seven - Training the mind, page 33-35 has some great information on pacing and wind resistance. Look at that as well. It's best to look at the Index, and find something interesting, and then go to the page with this book. Bill