Whitefish High School

Philadelphia (Read 149 times)

Shane Hanson

I've decided that since I'm not playing rugby anymore I'm going to start training for distance races, but for some reason the internet is failing me, and I can't seem to find any races in Philadelphia other than the marathon and a bunch that are this weekend. I also joined the philly runners and hopefully they send me information on local races, but as of yet I can't seem to find much. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a site that might have information on that.
    Jacob Fern

I don't know of any races, but i got this from their website:
      Scheduled Runs & Locations We have two regularly scheduled runs. They are never cancelled. Here is the brief summary: ALL RUNS Start & end in front of the Philadelphia Museum Of Art. ALL RUNS Occur on Kelly Drive, with Sat runs also on King Drive (formerly West River Drive) Tuesday 6:30 pm All Skills - generally 4.4 - 6 miles at 6:30-10:00 pace (we have 3-5 pace groups) Saturday 9:30 am All Skills - generally 4.4 - 8.5+ miles at 7:00-11:00 pace (we have 3-5 pace groups) Here is the detailed explanation: Saturday mornings at 8am (Memorial-Labor Day) and Tuesday evenings at 6:30pm are our all-skills runs. All are welcome. The runs start and end at the bottom of the front steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art (if you are facing the art museum, we're on the right). We wait a little bit back at the museum for others to return. We generally run along the Kelly Drive path on Tuesday and both the King Drive (formerly West River Drive) and Kelly Drive paths on Saturday. For these all-skills runs, we split into multiple groups based on pace and distance, so you can run with whichever group best matches your skill. All levels of runners are welcome to attend, though elite/Olympic runners might be a little bored! Hey, you can still join us for one of your "easy" runs! On Saturdays, most people run from 4.4 - 8.5+ miles, at paces of 6:30 - 10:00 minutes per mile. We have faster & slower paces, longer & shorter distances, but the above holds for most. On Tuesdays, most run from 4.4 - 6 miles, at paces of 6:30 - 10:00. Other unofficial runs also occur. Anyone who has come to our runs and/or activities may lead an ad hoc run or suggest a permanent new run.
      From what I could find on their site, they don't seem to really have any races that they organize. I haven't really explored this site, but it seems promising: http://www.runningintheusa.com/RacesByState.asp?State=PA Other than that... I don't know what to tell you. -Jacob
      Shane Hanson

yeah I found that as well, but I also signed up to receive e-mails from them, detailing events, and so I'm assuming that these events may include races, but the biggest problem is that a lot of races are in New Jersey, which admittedly is just across the river, but unless I want to pay $50 for a cab, it'll be hard to get there. I also found an interesting site that had at least one race, and I already signed up for that (5 miles on Thanksgiving). you might want to check it out, it's www.active.com. Anyway, thanks Fern.