Whitefish High School

how sick is too sick? (Read 189 times)

Jacob Fern

I have a cold right now, and I have been running through it (and feeling like I am only minutes away from death when go on a run Dead ). How sick do you have to be to not be able to run at all? I've been able to do it so far, but tomorrow doesn't sound too fun (speech and debate all day long, and I will have to run when i get back at around 8:00 or so...)
      Jacob, You need to take care of yourself. Don't kill yourself just for the running. Here's what I'd suggest: 1) Get lots of rest this weekend. Take a nap each day. I know that you have a speech meet, but you have to figure a way to do it without stress. Your sick. It will have an affect on everything you do. If you go against the grain it will only make you sicker, and will usually keep you from doing your best. 2) Lower your stress level. The cold has already up-ed your stress level. You need to completely back off and relax. Go into your activities (including your running) with an attitude that you are only doing it to relax and use it as a time-out. Keep it easy, and keep it relatively short. 3) Up your vitamin intake, and try to keep eating healthy. Drink lots of water. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. 4) Let the cold take it's course. It will take a week or two before your healthy again, if you keep from overdoing it. Don't try to increase your mileage during this time. Maybe even cut back to about 20-25 miles a week for a couple of weeks, until you feel like your ready to go again. 5) Get some reading in. It's a chance to work on your mental running. Pick up ideas and tactics from a good running book or two. (of course, you'll need to keep up your school work.) Fives a good number of suggetions. Let's stop there before you wear yourself out with the list. Good luck with your speech meet. Remember to relax, have confidence, and do what you do. Things will be fine. Bill