Jacob Fern

Why running in MT is better:
  • trails
  • trails
  • trails
  • better weather (no humidity)
  • you don't have to run on concrete or asphalt
  • you don't have to dodge people... and bikes... and most importantly, taxis
  • you can breathe (no exhaust from cars)
  • there are proper hills in MT: otherwise known as mountains
  • you can run somewhere where it's quiet enough to hear yourself think
  • in montana, you don't have to worry about getting jumped when you're running
  • Why it's better to run in NYC:
  • No one yells "Run forrest, Run!" because they know they would be beaten up if they did
  • There are other people that run. I am not seen as a raving lunitic for wanting to run every day
  • there's a road race every weekend... and most of them are pretty cheep ($25 for a half marathon isn't bad...)
  • you can run in cool places like central park and up 5th ave. (note: this isn't actually better than running in montana, it just sounds cooler.)
  • NYRR (New York Road Runners)
  • At any time there's a water fountain within a half mile of where you are. Weather you're brave enough to drink from it is another story...
  • The verdict: Montana is better. Enjoy it while you can. -Jacob
      I like this post fern. I can relate as well. Colorado Running vs. Montana Running Montana comparatively the courses are flat you can actually run up hills and not die scenic Colorado XC courses do not contain flat sections running under 20 minutes for a guy is good there is not much oxygen at 8000 ft. you run through much more uneven ground scenic How is New York by the way?
      Anne Dan

well i dunno about Jacob, but NY is actually really cool to run in. My coach has taken us somewhere new almost everyday. weve been running in like sleepy hollow and on these resivoirs an in the hills....not bad except i get poison ivy all the time! even this dungeon place has some gone running here - on the base - down by the river near the traintracks its pretty calm (except when i was sunbathing on the train bridge and had stopped running and a train nearly ran me over). life doesnt even suck so much any more and im almost back to passing all of my courses. i should just move my bed into the chemistry building....thats all i seem to do lately. were going this weekend to preview lafayette course in pennsylvania for the conference championships. ok peace out
          Why Running in Montana is Better: • Amazing Trails • Trees to block the sun and look pretty • The lakes are real and you can jump in them and they look pretty • HILLS which make you feel hardcore • Townies like you and don’t yell disheartening comments as they drive by • Way cool destinations for easy runs (the lake, the park, safeway cookies, etc.) • Adventure runs • Hardly any gravel roads that go on forever and ever • No swarms of little flies to attack your eyes, nose, throat, etc. Why Running in Walla Walla is Better: • No hills. None. Which makes me really dread when I actually have to run a hill again but it’s way easier. There is no denying that • BEAUTIFUL wheat field sunsets • Vineyards and orchards to run through • Big parks and lots of different parks are about a million times better than armory fields • The only way to get off campus every day and therefore very rewarding • October does not necessarily mean cold and definitely doesn’t mean snow
          Shane Hanson

Why Philadelphia is better ... ... yay treadmills Cry
            Jacob Fern

well i dunno about Jacob, but NY is actually really cool to run in.
              Well, you have to admit... it helps that your school has a cross country program that actually cares... We don't even get practices or a coach, which makes it a bit hard.
              yay treadmills Cry
              aren't there any parks or anything? I’ve run through the actual city a few times… it’s not bad, although you never get a long stretch without stopping for lights or trying not to get hit by a taxi… I’m happy to say that I haven’t touched a treadmill since I’ve been here. That’s partly because I wouldn’t know where to find one…. We don’t exactally have an athletic center or anything, and I’m not about to spend $100/month on a gym membership.
              Shane Hanson

penn has an awesome athletic center, and there is even a small gym on my floor at my dorm, but there are basically no parks nearby. Penn is basically at the very center of Philly, and the longest route I can find from my dorm without having to stop every block for a light is a little over a mile. I haven't actually done a distance run since ive been here, but since my leg has healed, I wanna get back into good shape, so ive been trying to find places to go, and so far, my best bet is actually the bicycle in the little gym on my floor. Other than that it's stopping every block and getting hit by taxis or crazy philly drivers. Oh, and Philly is the most humid place I've ever been. it was over 100 degrees this summer while I was working outside all day at my construction job, and that came nowhere near comparing to just walking around outside here. It's not all bad though, other than weather and lack of running options, Philly is awesome. I'm already an Eagles fan (even though they kinda suck), but I can't quite bring myself to root for the phillies who recently got a record for being the first franchise to have 10,000 losses.