Whitefish High School

Someone is starting to get going! (Read 176 times)

Janna, Nice job! An 8 miler. That's a real run. The longest for the year (okay, I know it's only 30 days long). Do you realize that is over an hour of running? That leaves you only 23 hours or so for whatever you want to do for the rest of the day. Isn't running grand? In no other sport can you get so much for such a little time investment. I've been reading some great running books over the past week or so. Today I finished another. It was a new book titled "The Gift; A runner's story" written by Paul Maurer. It was pretty good. It was kind of like Once a Runner, but a bit more modern. It was funny, yet gave the reader a lot to think about. I read another book last week called "Harriers" which is another new book about a high school cross country team that went from an average team to a great team, and the unique reasons and stories surrounding the team. It was good as well. A third, I'm failing to remember the name, something like speed in the fast lane, or such. Was about a young runner who used running to get through the time period of handling the situation of losing the rest of his 8th grade track team in a van crash while they returned from a meet. It was a unique story with running playing a huge part. It was not realistic, but did have some great plot lines. It was another new book. All three I just purchased from Amazon.com. Now I start my fourth and final new book, titled "Following The Flame; A Runner's Pursuit of an Olympic Dream". Published in 2005. With the time I have sitting on planes waiting for fog to lift, or on the road, so to speak. I've been catching up on reading. These new books were all touched by some of the great ones of the past (once a runner, the Olympian, and the likes.) It's cold and I can't wait to get up early tomorrow to get in an 8 to 10 miler. Bill
      Bill, I've actually read that third book you mentioned, the one you couldn't remember the title of. I don't remember the title either but it was about a really super fast high school miler right? I liked it a lot, I think I read it last year sometime. Anyway I am really enjoying the book you gave me, although I've decided not to bring it to school anymore, because it seems to be a bit delicate. I don't know if its just old or what, but every time I open it the pages crack because the binding is so stiff and its really not staying together too well. A few of the pages are about to fall out actually, and I feel really bad because you did say it was the only copy you have... But don't worry I will be careful.
        Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
        Love to run

I DOn't know how to set up the training log , could someone give me advice , I've been running alot , I don't usually time myself , but I go a long ways, sometimes I run all over downtown or on the back roads, which i shouldn't be doing by myself! Loni
            Jacob, Help her with what she needs please. Try to keep it simple, maybe a step at a time. Begin with teaching her to make it public, then give her advice on how to enter new courses. Don't have her worry about maps. Simple. Where, When, How Long, maybe how she feels. Thanks, Bill
            Jacob Fern

Sure... I wrote how to do it here. If that doesn't seem to work, just ask and I'll go a bit more in depth. -Jacob