Barefoot Runners

First run in Vibrams (Read 190 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Maybe a bit soon for a proper review of the Vibrams but my first impressions are great! They arrived on Saturday afternoon and I had them out of the box immediately. I had ordered the "sprints" in striking red. The colour was not my first choice but it was the only colour available in my size. I chose the sprints as i thought the strap across the top would stop them falling off. I went with the size guide provided by the online shoe company so was a bit nervous about the fit. After a bit of wriggling I coaxed my toes into their compartments. They were snug. The two bigger toes just touching the ends but not cramped. It felt strange to have my toes individually clothed but after wearing them about the house for a couple of hours it started to feel normal. I took a short walk across the driveway which is tarmac but with some loose stones scattered here and there. This is normally a very tentative stroll in my barefeet. They felt great. An absolute joy. I was itching for a run. It would have to wait until Sunday as I was still a bit sore from my Friday evening barefoot run. Sunday Morning 8:30 am. Kit on, Vibrams on, Im off! As I said in a previous post I was reluctant to run the first couple of miles from my home in barefeet as the the surface was poor but with the Vibrams this was no problem. I took it nice and easy as I wasn,t sure how my feet would feel with these new "shoes", but from the off they were great. The fit seemed perfect. I kept the straps loosish incase there would be any friction issues with the intention of tightening if I needed to, but no need. The shoes offer good protection but not so much that you drift back to heel striking. You still need to run like you are barefoot. I ran for about 4.5 miles on mainly concrete paving slabs and asphalt and just a little on grass. I increased the speed in places to see how they felt and had no issues with the shoes just my ability to run forefoot at speed. More practice needed! I tried a couple of hills, up and down and some steps. No problems! I really am very impressed with these, my only worry is that I will get too fond of them and stop going truely barefoot! Roll,on my next run!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!