Barefoot Runners

I think Im hooked! (Read 206 times)

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I have done 3 runs now barefoot. 2 on grass and one on asphalt. All have been short runs (max 2m) but i am also trying not to aggrevate a calf strain. Out again tonight to try a couple of miles on grass. If I can stay injury free I am going to ditch the trainers for good. There is a local 10k in early June and I would love to run it barefoot. I think I could run about one third of the course on grass. Is this a realistic goal. Will my feet be tough enough by then?

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Eustace Tierney

YoYo

5 Runs now and still love it. Fridays run was a bit tougher. I done this all on the hard stuff. Road and pavement. Some stretches where a bit stoney and it hurt bad but I survived with only 3 blood blisters of which the skin on one had started to come away. (I have had worse in trainers). Decided to go grass yesterday. It was cold - 1C and some light snow although it didnt lie. My feet were cold to start but fine after a couple of mins. I find I need to concentrate on staying on my forefoot more on the grass. The softer surface allows me to move back on my heels without realising it. Very enjoyable run though. I think I will do another grass run next to let the blisters fully recover. Has anyone else went straight from trainers to barefoot without using VFF or similar minimal shoes. Any advice would be appreciated.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

I went from shoes to sandals on the trails and a bit barefoot on the roads, though not much. Ran a 50 miler in sandals. This year I'm doing some barefoot weekly on pavement. The blisters at first seem to be the biggest obstacle for me, not the structural issues. The calves and tendons all adapt after 2 weeks or so. The muscles take a litte longer but I'm good like that from running in minimalist shoes all the time (New Balance 790's). No VFF for me as I can't justify another 75 for another pair of shoes right now. Keep it up, slow and steady.

"Run slowly, run daily, drink in moderation, and don't eat like a pig" Dr. Ernst Van Aaken. Sorry ultrasteve.