Barefoot Runners

Minimalist non-running shoes? (Read 837 times)

I'm loving my Vibrams and minimalist running in general.  However, I spend a lot of time NOT running in a given day and I'm thinking about what kind of minimalist shoes I could wear at work.  I'm thinking primarily something without a higher heel, or at least a low heel.  I work in an office environment, so my Vibrams are out.  I also don't want to wander around the office in just socks.  I've been thinking some kind of leather, dressy moccasin of some kind, but I'm curious if anyone else has any ideas.  Maybe I'm concerned over nothing?  I don't spend a lot of time walking while at work, just to the bathroom, the break room, or a co-workers office mainly.

Thanks.

Matt

2010 Races:
    March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
    May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
    June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
    June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
    September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
    September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)
    LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, if you don't think my Vibrams would fit in at the office, how about these?

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

The Run Amoc's look nice, but Tom's shoes are very minimal, come in various styles, when you buy a pair they give one to a poor kid, and they are half the price of Run Amoc's. I used to wear a pair of simple black ones to work (casual dress engineering office) before I retired (two weeks ago).

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

I work inside and outside at my job, and black footwear is required.  So for the past two years I've worn (1) black Nike Frees - ordered thru Nike ID for an extra fee to get 'em all black, but I think I've seen some solid black ones since then - check www.eastbay.com, and (2) black  Terra Plana Aqua's (expensive, very minimalist, the soles wear really well - I do a lot of walking on concrete surfaces - and I think they'll outlast a couple of pairs of regular shoes).  These might "fill the bill" - thin soles to feel the ground, no heel (that I can tell anyway), plenty wide in the midfoot and toe box, very comfortable, a classier look that I could probably wear with a suit if I wanted. 

Hope this helps, or if you found something different let us know so we can check it out!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Thanks for the feedback guys!  I'm still looking and I will definitely check out your suggestions.

Matt

2010 Races:
            March: Irish Jig 5K - 24:31 (new PR)
            May: 5/3 Riverbank Run 25K - 2:34:12 (new PR)
            June: Brian Diemer Amerikam 5K - 23:39 (new PR)
            June: Reeds Lake Run 5K - 24:48 (this race has kicked my butt two years running)
            September: 2010 Mackinac Bridge Run - 36:59
            September: Park2Park Half Marathon - 1:57:26 (new PR)