Barefoot Runners

I'm so frustrated with my feet! (Read 582 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

I've been doing almost exclusively barefoot since mid-April.  Jumped directly into it instead of easing in to it because of a neuroma issue I was having.  Anyway, ever since, I've had aches and pains inside my feet, mostly on the right.  They'll get better for a day or two, then get worse, then get better, then show up in a different location, then get better, then get worse, then show up somewhere else as well, then get better, then get worse...

ARGH!!!!

During today's trail run with Vibrams on, I got a NEW location for the same kind of sharp, small pain - a different toe bone - and I've reached a decision.  I'm going to try switching to Newtons.  I went barefoot because of chronic knee & hip problems and because a neuroma was driving me batty and not going away.  The neuroma still exists but doesn't hurt unless I run heel-toe.  Whenever I put regular running shoes on, I run heel-toe. The knee and hip problems have been clear since going barefoot.

So I'm going to try these Newtons and see if the cushion gives my feet a chance to heal up completely and supports them enough to keep from chronically re-injuring my footbones!  Hopefully going back to shoes won't let my knees and hips go back to their old problems... 

I've really enjoyed the barefoot running, and if using the Newtons allows my feet to get back to normal, I'll probably still throw in the odd run here or there barefoot.  But I don't think my feet can take what I want to ask of them barefoot.  I'd like to be able to run more than a mile or two without injuring myself...   So it's time for a new strategy.

Wish me luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You say you're running almost exclusively barefoot, and then you say you're running in FiveFingers.  How much real barefoot running are you doing versus FiveFingers?

Real barefoot running makes it much harder to hurt yourself.  FiveFingers give a false sense of security, and dull the feelings that should be teaching you to run better.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
      samos

+ 1 for Ed4.

Just last week I ran 8k into work in VFFs, had sore calves during and after.  Ran home same route barefoot, no calf pain, felt great, no issues, just a little slower thanks to a section of rough gravel that I had to walk. I reckon the VFFs are great, but I think actually going barefoot forces correct technique more than the VFFs.

Wingz

Professional Noob

The only time I've been doing the FF is when I go on the trails... which is once in the last two weeks.  Used to be about once a week.

I've been having pains along my metatarsal bones and where those bones join together at the ankle.  I'm not injuring the surface of my feet - it's the insides of them that are hurting, and not usually during the run.  Had calf soreness the first week - which was about 3 months ago.  3 months of rotating pain inside my feet when walking, standing, and occasionally while running is enough!  It's not PF.  I know what that feels like, unfortunately.  Sad 

*grumble grumble grumble*

Maybe Newtons will give whatever's mad at me inside my feet a chance to rest up and heal a bit.

are your feet swelling?  any bruising or redness?
            Wingz

Professional Noob

No redness, swelling, or bruising visible.  No traumatic injuries.  Slightly tender to press on the areas that have been hurting.  I've had tendonitis many times in the past but never any fractures, so that's #1 on my suspect list right now, though the idea of a stress fracture did worry me until I realized that the pain wouldn't be shifting locations if that were the case.  I hope.

are your feet swelling?  any bruising or redness?

would swelling mean 'don't run?' not to hijack the thread but I've been having foot problems (started with top of the foot pain) but I kept on running putting on more miles in Nike Frees vs VFF. I cut my miles down but now my foot is swollen and hurts to walk. I seem to be able to run better than walk I am seriously considering not running for a while but I really would rather not stop...

I am totally frustrated.

Janell, does your foot still hurt when you run in Newtons?

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                Wingz

Professional Noob

SkBunny, I'm finding the Newtons come with their own set of issues.  Regular running shoes: neuroma pain. Barefoot: mysterious pains within the foot.  Newtons: achilles tendon pain AND the balls of my feet have both started feeling numb at around 0.6 miles.  Seems like whatever I try has its pros and cons.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

The best way to give your body a chance to heal up is to rest.  Stop running until nothing hurts and you feel 100% healthy. 

Then start again with walking, not running.  Barefoot, outdoors, on a variety of surfaces.  Only when that's completely easy, start adding in some running.

This stuff takes time.  Three months is not nearly enough for your bones and tendons to adapt to a new way of running. 

Wingz

Professional Noob

Rest?  Rest???!!!

Are you out of your mind???

Don't you know that rest is a four-letter word to runners?  Tongue

I've been on a streak for 154 days now, and it's kept me active and motivated when other things have failed to do the trick.  Rest is not an option I'm actively considering - my fear is that if I stop to heal I won't want to get started again for an extended period of time.  It's happened before.

Right now I'm working with 1) alternating Newtons and barefoot depending on what's hurting that particular day, 2) icing after runs (d'oh!  Why do I keep forgetting this?) and 3) Taking ibuprofen after runs.  I'm on day 2 of the ice/ibuprofen thing, so I don't know how much of an effect it's going to have, but signs are promising...

Certainly Something...

The best way to give your body a chance to heal up is to rest.  Stop running until nothing hurts and you feel 100% healthy. 

Then start again with walking, not running.  Barefoot, outdoors, on a variety of surfaces.  Only when that's completely easy, start adding in some running.

This stuff takes time.  Three months is not nearly enough for your bones and tendons to adapt to a new way of running. 

From this advice, I'm going to do the rest week  walking and rest of the month with 1 mile running, 2 miles walking.  I was running two miles but being only a tenderfoot it was about the max distance my feet could take and after a week and a half I have blisters and my left big toe pad goes numb when I start walking on it.  I am definately trying to rush it and should stop that.  I got huaraches in February and Vibrams Mid April.  Since then I've been going at it, but by the end of May I had some blister issues, took june off.  Probably should have walked during June.  Live, learn, and get advice from Ed Smile

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

"Rest is not an option I'm actively considering..."  That is why you're injured.  Simple as that. 

Do you want to be the best runner you can be a year from now?  Ten years from now?  When you're 80?  Then the correct path today is simple -- you need to heal.  You're sacrificing long-term growth and improvement for the chance at a little short term gain.

Go look at my log over the past year or two.  See all the weeks with zero miles?  And yet I can run a 3:05 marathon.  Can you?  Rest is not a four letter word.  It's an important part of the equation. 

I understand that you're afraid you'll lose your motivation if you rest.  But running in constant pain is the most demotivating thing of all.  Maybe you can tough it out for a year or two or three, but eventually you will learn to hate running, and you will quit.  The only way to stick with it for the long term is to love it, and to love running it has to be joyful. 

You're probably not that injured right now.  It would probably only take a couple weeks before you felt much better.  But if you ignore the warnings and keep going, you are likely to get more seriously injured, and then a doctor will tell you not to run for 6 months.  Do you really want to hear that?

Rest?  Rest???!!!

Are you out of your mind???

Don't you know that rest is a four-letter word to runners?  Tongue

+1   +1  +1

I don't want to rest either!!! If I do my family's life is in danger.

Ewa

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill

"Rest is not an option I'm actively considering..."  That is why you're injured.  Simple as that. 

Do you want to be the best runner you can be a year from now?  Ten years from now?  When you're 80?  Then the correct path today is simple -- you need to heal.  You're sacrificing long-term growth and improvement for the chance at a little short term gain.

Go look at my log over the past year or two.  See all the weeks with zero miles?  And yet I can run a 3:05 marathon.  Can you?  Rest is not a four letter word.  It's an important part of the equation. 

I understand that you're afraid you'll lose your motivation if you rest.  But running in constant pain is the most demotivating thing of all.  Maybe you can tough it out for a year or two or three, but eventually you will learn to hate running, and you will quit.  The only way to stick with it for the long term is to love it, and to love running it has to be joyful. 

You're probably not that injured right now.  It would probably only take a couple weeks before you felt much better.  But if you ignore the warnings and keep going, you are likely to get more seriously injured, and then a doctor will tell you not to run for 6 months.  Do you really want to hear that?

I know you are right, but I really, really don't want you to be right...

I am seeing a doc tonight and I am sure he will say the same thing you are saying. Gosh, I so dislike elliptical machines!!!

Ewa

NCRUNNER

Hi all! so i've started running barefoot now for about 2 weeks. i can't seem to get the hang of it or when i start to i have annoying nagging pain in the ball of my foot.  i love running barefoot though! some of my best times have come from running shoeless. but this foot pain, especially in the ball of my foot and through my toes when i run shoeless has really dampened my mileage. is this normal? am i running to many miles too soon? i bought a pair of VFF's soon after i started running barefoot because i developed blisters on the balls of my feet.  the only time i had pain in my foot was from running with the VFF's.  since then i gave those up and am currently ordering some Hurache's from Barefoot Ted. Has anyone tried them?, if so, how do they measure up against the VFF's?? I'm frustrated, i love running and don't want my career to END!!! ahhhh. please help!

NCRUNNER