Barefoot Runners

barefoot Seattle Half Marathon (12/01/2019) (Read 5 times)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

After the what-the-tv-“meteorologists”-were-calling “bitter cold” 28F weekend temps,

it warmed up enough last night to soften

the snow enough for the first Frostie

of the year.

Up to 40F this orning so probably won’t last long.

I think I’ve heard that one before,
    almost “like deja vu all over again."
    Baseball is 90 per cent mental. The other half is physical’

"If the people don't want to come out to the ballpark,
    . . . nobody's going to stop them."

"He hits from both sides of the plate.
    . . . He's amphibious."

"I always thought that record would stand until it was broken."

"Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."

"It ain't the heat, it's the humility."

"You can observe a lot by watching."

"The future ain't what it used to be."

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

"I never said most of the things I said."

sad

Image result for yogi berra quotes images 90% mental

sad

Image may contain: outdoor and nature 

\

. . 

Seattle Half Marathon
    December 1, 2019 (7:00am) / 44oF
    Chip Time - 2:50:30 (13:01m/m)
    Overall - 3257/4509
    Men - 1644/2156
    AG (76-79) - 4/10

With temps at starting time predicted to be a continuation of the last several days’ chilly, below-freezing level 28o's, I invoked a long-standing, but never yet honored, vow to wear something on my feet too whenever it was cold enough to have to everywhere else too. After all, I wear Merrill trail thongs or Japanese sandals for the rocky, rooty, mountain ultras I like plus I often carry a pair of cut-down thongs for any rough stretches in mostly-paved, local marathons to say nothing of always wearing thongs at night when I can’t see what I might otherwise be stepping on..

I also decided to break another long-standing vow to always to always enter the longest option available in multi-distance races where’d I’d often feel sorry for runners who’d waste their entry fees on 10K or half-marathon distances when a marathon that would give much more exercise, fitness and fun in the same event would do too. However, with the early start with other slower runners eliminated this year and, with marathons now taking up to, and, often, more than, seven hours, the fun part, especially on endless pavements, doesn’t seem to be as much fun anymore, especially when there’s other things to do for the rest of the day I used to be able to get back in time to do when it was possible to run 26.2 miles in four or five hours and get back home by lunchtime.

However, with temps jumping up to the forties, as soon as it got light enough around mile three to see, I let my bare feet take full advantage of the ensuing bike/pedestrian pathways and last two miles to the finish on newly-paved, super-smooth, barefoot friendly asphalt.

Nevertheless, I was still sorry that I’d miss most of those seven hours with “RoadKill” Rick, a super-Maniac (650 marathons since 1978) with whom we have a combined 85 years of continuous annual marathons. However, voila! He’d also independently arrived at the same conclusions so, for the first time for either or us, we ran half of the Seattle Marathon we’d been doing whenever we’d been in town since 1978 and 1990, respectively.
    I once vowed to quit running if 26.2 miles ever took more than five hours I used to think was so pathetic in those days but, somehow, having a good time meeting up with old friends also still trying to keep in shape after all these years has become more important that having a good time on the clock. In fact, nowadays, any time is a good time.

ps joe - yep, the comments along the way
    are always kind of fun, e.g.
    “Aren’t your feet sore?”
    . . . “nope, not as much as the rest of me.”
    “How long have you been running barefoot?”
    . . . “1943.”

Image may contain: one or more people

Though my current version of running is way more pathetic that the five hour plus runners I used to think were so pathetic in those days, it wasn’t pathetic anymore when getting “way-to-go’s” from other runners along the way and, in the latter miles, even from some of the leading elites finishing their marathons faster than my half.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)