Barefoot Runners

Stones and such (Read 256 times)

I have a question about foot sensitivity. I run in VFF and while I am watching where I am stepping, often it is difficult to avoid landing on stones and that, ouch!, hurts. Gravel is the worst. Will my feet toughen up with practice?

Ewa

I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I'm still pretty new to barefoot running, but my experience so far has been that yes, it gets better with practice.  I don't know if my soles are tougher or if my feet are adapting, but it seems to me to be a tiny bit better.

Tiny bit better... half a dozen outside runs done.  Lots of short treadmill runs done.

Roads were made for journeys...

It gets better.

Stones and stumps can still hurt, so careful where you place your feet, but it does get better.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

As your feet get stronger and more flexible and you learn to be more relaxed, it becomes much more comfortable.  Your feet will actively conform to the terrain to avoid putting weight on sharp objects.

For now, slow down when you're on rough stuff and try to stay as relaxed as you can. 
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.