Barefoot Runners

OK Barefoot Runners -- I tried it today (Read 536 times)

I have read a number of articles and web sites and of course Ed4's various posts, and so today I decided 'what the heck'......... After my 3 mile (normal Monday run) I took off my shoes and sox and was on a pretty nice concrete sidewalk and did the ole 'starting from scratch running thing' where I walked to a telephone pole, then ran to the next one and repeated three times.......turned around and did the same thing back to my starting point.... So I probably ran about 150/200 yards barefoot........and I'm happy to report that nothing bad happened to me...... except one jerk faced guy I work with drove my just as I started my barefoot running and was teasing....so I told him I didn't make enough money to afford running shoes anymore with the economy and all....they shut him up... Normally, when I run during the day from work, I end up where there is a nice sidewalk - seems a good place to start -- The side walk goes for about 1/2 mile -- so I'm thinking I'll SLOWLY try to run it barefoot at the end of my normal runs as a cool down and see if I can toughen up my feet and see what it all takes me........ Of course any comments or ideas from anyone are always appreciated.....Big grin.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Sounds like a good plan to me.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        My barefoot walk/run today was 4/10 of a mile........seriously slow........but today I walked one telephone pole and then ran two.......for 2/10 and then turned around and came back........ Very cautiously......no problems.......but the bottoms of my feet are very tender, and so I can 'kind of ' feel them just a bit...so tomorrow Ill take off from barefoot running, but will do the barefoot thing again on Thurs....Big grinWink I sort of feel like I'm learning to run all over again......Shocked

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I sort of feel like I'm learning to run all over again......Shocked
          That's because you are. Smile

Skooter 3.0

I decided to give barefoot a try for about a half mile at the end of a training run yesterday. It was....weird. I'm worried about doing it improperly...are there any tips you all would suggest for a beginner? Any sacred text or websites?

Goals?

...are there any tips you all would suggest for a beginner?
              Yeah, don't drag your feet. You can cut your feet up pretty well that way. Barefoot is hard if the bottom of your feet are very sensitive, so find something smooth, or add a lot of barefoot *outside* walking. And then, just relax, run, and don't overdo it.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Any sacred text or websites?
                runningbarefoot.org
                  OK --- today actually went pretty well....I ran the entire 4/10 of a mile at about a 13+ minute pace (of course, I'm not worried about pace at all)..... Felt OK.....the balls of my feet are hurting (just a little - kind of feel like they were scratched) from the sidewalk, but not really that bad - I expect to be able to do it again tomorrow.....then I might map out a full 1/2 mile barefoot run for a while (its just not that much more)... The thing I noticed today is the muscles in my legs felt a lot different while running barefoot then when I am running with my shoes.....so I know I am working different muscles or at least working them differently....... Im not sure if I'm converted yet, but I have to admit that after three runs, its going better then expected....Shocked

Good luck! 

I recommend spending as much time barefoot as possible (non-running) such as when you are at home.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I recommend spending as much time barefoot as possible (non-running) such as when you are at home.

Thanks Blaine - that's kind of what I have been doing but only for the past week. I have never been one to run around barefoot so lately what I have been doing is to wear my water shoes around when I need to be wearing shoes (because they are as minimum as I have) and then around the house and in the yard going barefoot or sometime sock feet........ But today my feet are OK from a totally barefoot 4/10 yesterday............ This is going to be a slow gradual process for me....

This is going to be a slow gradual process for me....
                        I spent a few years building up to it w/barefoot striders after a run on the infield of the track after workouts. Then I took a few years away from it, and spend about 7 months building up again when I decided it was time to bring it back into my regular regimen. Don't feel like you need to rush things. One of the advantages is you are less prone to get injured, but only if you build up the necessary foot strength gradually since rushing could lead to an injury.

Run to Win

I havent been running barefoot much, but I've been makiing sure I am barefoot (or sock foot) around the house and even poking around the yard.     This past week because they were on sale, I got a new treadmill - despite what some people say, I like running on a treadmill every now and then, and expecially when the weather SUX (this of course is a discussion for a different time and day)...

I decided to run again barefoot and did a 1/4 mile after I had completed 3 miles of running with shoes and again it worked out just fine for me.   The only problem was the belt on the treadmill is kind of rough, so it felt something like running on really course sand (in texture) and by the time I was finished, the balls of my feet felt a little raw.    They are fine today so I think I 1/4 mile was just about right for me..........

BUT - I have to tell you that I liked it again and did feel a little stronger then when I ran barefoot a few times (about a month or so ago).   So It seems I am making some progress here.....and plan to continue walking around to strengthen the muscles in my feet. 

I'm just started using a training plan (as a guide as I dont religiously use training plans) to prepare for a 1/2 marathon and there are number of days when the plan calls for hill sprints at an 8% grade for certaiin amounts of time.   I find doing this type of a workout much easier on a TM because I know how far I run, and I know specifically what my hill grade is, so I think on the days I do this workout ill do them on my TM, and  I'll finish with a quarter mile to mile barefoot run (like a cool down run).......see where that takes me.

But I have to admit - so far, so good ---

I just cant wait for the day when I am running barefoot and my wife comes down to switch over the laundry ....she already thinks I'm crazy for running --- in her opinion 40 miles per week is like obsessive crazy .......   so can you imagine what she will say when she sees me running barefoot............will give her something to talk about to her family and friends.........her posessed, crazed, obsessed  husband.............if she only understood the standard.....

The only problem was the belt on the treadmill is kind of rough, so it felt something like running on really course sand (in texture) and by the time I was finished, the balls of my feet felt a little raw.    They are fine today so I think I 1/4 mile was just about right for me..........

This winter I did a few barefoot runs on the treadmill - my main problem was that the belt would get too hot after 20 or 30 minutes for me to keep going (probably aided by the whole "raw" thing) but after the first couple of times I was able to stay on it longer without too much trouble. 

My feet would be dirty enough for me to want to put some socks on (after cooling my feet on the concrete floor of course) to get up to the shower and clean them up.

A little New Skin on the worst parts solved the raw issue pretty much.

I didn't get onto the treadmill as often as I had hoped to for barefoot runs, though, since I was always running outside and rarely wanted to stay indoors.

Run to Win

my main problem was that the belt would get too hot after 20 or 30 minutes for me to keep going (probably aided by the whole "raw" thing) but after the first couple of times I was able to stay on it longer without too much trouble.

I noticed when I first took off my shoes and got back on the TM, the belt was a little hot.....to the touch.....but it didnt seem to bother me....of course it might have been a part of the problem (a little hot, and a little course of a belt).....at any rate, it seemed to work, but the scratchy surface (almost felt like running on a sand paper belt) is something that I will have to get used to.....

I like you, I will still spend most of my time out of doors -- I dont really like the TM but as mentioned above, it does lend itself very well to some types of training better then being out....so until the winter time I'll primarily be out, but when the snow and ice start to fly and the the footing gets bad, I prefer the TM cause I feel I get a real run instead of slipping and sliding around in the dark....ANYWAY -- TM is a discussion for a different forum.....