Barefoot Runners

First BF run this morning (Read 393 times)

guitar-runner

With socks....

Anyway, I got to reading up on BF running because I've been suffering from plantar fasciitis for the past 7 months (since getting back into running from many years off).  Initially, I switched from heal-striking to ball-of-foot strike in my running shoes (typical heal strike shoes).  Was feeling great - and after 6 weeks of getting use to forefoot running - things were great.  Sunday I did 10 miles at 8:15.  While heal pain is gone, I think I might have overdone it on Sunday, as I developed a dull pain in the top part of my right foot, right side, about an inch in, near my ankle. 

Anyway, was really looking forward to trying barefoot, and decided today was the day and I'd use my low-cut athletic running sock.  I did 2.5 miles, and felt pretty good, but the top part of my foot still aches and of course, the pads of both feet are sore - but I imagine that would happen with asphalt and my first BF run.  I would like to eventually get VFF Bikilas.

So, I plan on taking the next 2-3 days off and using an elliptical for cardio, and trying things again on Friday.  Hope it gets better!

B

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You might consider being truly barefoot, so your brain actually gets all the feedback your feet can provide.  If you're not ready to run BF, then try a lot of BF walking.

i'm also working my way into barefoot running, and my suggestion to you is be careful and go easy...  don't try to pack on the barefoot miles too fast. 

guitar-runner

I don't know - I think I got plenty of feedback with my socks on!!  Stubbed my left big toe pretty good - still smarts today!  Not running again until earliest, Friday - perhaps Sat or sunday. 

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I don't know - I think I got plenty of feedback with my socks on!!  Stubbed my left big toe pretty good - still smarts today!  Not running again until earliest, Friday - perhaps Sat or sunday. 

Yeah, I've had the toe stub and toe scrape experiences.  +1 to those who are saying to not ramp things up too quickly.  I spent two years learning BF running, the first of which was only BF walking.

It's a lot harder to learn how to run in socks than barefoot. Unless it's really cold where you are, why do things the hard way?

guitar-runner

Perhaps...we'll see.   Giving my feet rest and we'll go back to the drawing board.

You might find this helpful:

http://therunningbarefoot.com/?page_id=455

Good luck!

PS - Matt Jenkins, the guy who ran 30ish miles a day across NC, runs in socks a lot. I tease him about not being really barefoot, but the fact remains the dude is a machine.

guitar-runner

Apparently, your first BF run can be as long as 6 miles! 

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2009/10/04/health/1247464987589/barefoot-running.html 

Yup, people's experiences are very different. It all depends on how you are used to running in shoes, how used to being barefoot (ie, around the house) you are, and terrain pleasantness. Running with an experienced barefooter like McDougal doesn't hurt, either.

I started slow, but ramped up very quickly. Just a mile or so at a time for the first week, but had accumulated 100 miles in the first month, the end of which I ran an 18 mi long run. Now I'm faster than I was in shoes. I dodged some bullets, I think, but overall I just figured it out relatively quickly. There are others who needed years to get back to the performance level they were at. They're usually the really fast ones.