Barefoot Runners

Running on hard clay... (Read 393 times)

Half Fanatic #846

There's a 15K coming up in mid-Jan. in my area that's mostly on a hard-packed red clay road. Which brought some questions to mind: (seemed like a perfect opportunity for a first BF race experience)

-  I'm guessing that kind of surface would be really good for running BF, and more importantly:

-  Do I have enough time to train for it (10 1/2 weeks)? 

I can be doing 4-6 milers bf regularly by the end of Nov. - I just have to get my soles toughened up by then out on the street instead of on the treadmill.  If it was asphalt, I wouldn't even attempt to do it.  I could even fold my 3.0's into the large rear pocket of my "Race Ready" shorts just in case (or in a waistpack), plus I was thinking of doing a couple of long training runs on the course in a couple of months to build confidence.  So, basically I just have to toughen my soles enough in 10 weeks, as I see it.  What do you think?

Bill 

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

No harm in trying.  I think you'll figure out pretty quickly whether or not it's going to be reasonable to attempt it.

I agree that packed clay would be a very beginner-friendly surface.

Also, I'm a bit jealous that you can plan for a barefoot race in January.  But not jealous enough that I would give up all the wonderful seasons here.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        See if you can run 15k on the surface before the race, during training.  If all feels good, enjoy!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Half Fanatic #846

Also, I'm a bit jealous that you can plan for a barefoot race in January.  But not jealous enough that I would give up all the wonderful seasons here.

Here in N. Fla. it can be in the low 30's in Jan., so don't feel too bad.  Usually it's okay weatherwise, but not always.  Jan 3rd 2007 I did a local 10K and starting time temp was 34.  I guess that would be too cold for bare feet for that long - what is the threshold? I have no idea.

Rob -  Yep, I'm going to try a couple of runs out on that course in about  2 months.  If it's a "go", I'll write up a RR.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Barefoot Rick

Barefoot Runner

Concentrate more on landing lightly than "toughening up". If your foot is landing correctly, under your vertical torso with quick turnover and picking up your feet, then you should have no problems.

Here's is what I would do. Go run a mile of gravel road everday for the next several weeks, in addition to your other training. I GUARANTEE that will make you land lighter and pay attention to your form. If you do that, you will be ready, Grasshopper.

Regards,

Rick

Romans 10:15 - How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news of good things!
              http://barefootrunner.org
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I guess that would be too cold for bare feet for that long - what is the threshold? I have no idea.

It varies a lot from person to person, and you can change it with training. 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.