Barefoot Runners

PR in my VFF's (Read 414 times)

Uromastyx

Hey all,

Just wanted to drop a note and say I got a PR in the Seaside Florida Half Marathon this weekend!

It was my third half, and my first race since I started training exclusively in my VFF KSOs this year.    My time was a respectable 2:05:17; not bad for a 190 lb 46 yr old.  My calves are still a little sore today, but I think I'll be able to take the  stairs at work without assistance .

I saw one other runner in VFFs in the 5k, and a lady wearing them the day after for recovery.  She said her son just finished a 50k trail run in his last weekend... sick.

Thanks to everyone for the support and encouragement.   To those just starting, good luck and keep on trucking!

--Johnny

Wonderful news, and congrats on a PR. Minimalist shoes are definitely becoming much more prevalent, hopefully because less truly is more when it comes to running.

If you need help walking up the stairs, which I know you were joking, but try walking laterally (sideways). It looks a little silly to walk up stairs like you're trying to climb a steep hill, but it doesn't engage the same muscles as normal walking.

Happy and quick recovery.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

under a rock

Congrats on your PR!

Last month at a trail HM I was lined up at the start with a couple wearing VFF. The woman placed 3rd in her age group. I've seen many people wearing them at trail races lately. In Jan the female winner in a trail 5k wore VFF.

gratz!
          The right path is my path.