Barefoot Runners

OUch (Read 254 times)

jeffdonahue

Decided to go back and try a bit of barefoot running. It is beautiful outside today so I decided to head to the local track for a lap or two with no shoes. The track is old but there are no potholes and it is usually pretty free of debris, but I never realized how rough the concrete is on there. I ran the first 1/3rd on the track - second third I jumped on the grass around the track because the soles of my feet just hurt and finished up back on the track. Only did one lap but I think I need to either get some Vibrams or find some smoother road.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Tenderfoot. Tongue (This from a runner who gets blisters running a mile on her treadmill...)

Roads were made for journeys...

I have been running barefoot on a treadmill since last November. I thought my feet were pretty tough. I went for a couple walks on my road: The gravel and small pebbles were very painful!

Imminent Catastrophe

There's a reason this takes so long!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

You'll get there. Your road looks similar to a path I ran this morning. Dirt with very fine gravel. It's quite doable but it will take time. It comes down to a combination of factors. Obviously tougher skin helps, but strong flexible feet and good form are even more important. All those things will keep improving with time, as long as you don't overdo it and injure yourself. Feet will actually react to debris on the road, spreading your weight as widely as possible and away from sharp objects. They adapt their shape to the terrain. At least that's how I would describe the feeling. The first time I was really aware of it was a weekend of backpacking on uneven, rocky trails in FiveFingers. By the end of the trip, some tiny muscle in my foot was extremely tired and sore, but I could only find it and feel it when it would involuntarily contract due to some particular rock under some particular part of my foot. This is why you have 28 bones in each foot. They're very sophisticated all-terrain machines. You also just discovered that indoor surfaces (including treadmill) are radically easier than anything you'll find outside. If you keep going outside, I bet you'll make more progress in the next two weeks than you did indoors since November. Just make sure you're allowing yourself to recover fully from each workout, and not doing any actual damage to yourself. Sore muscles and slightly tender feet are good. Strained muscles, bruises, scrapes, and blisters are counter-productive.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Thanks - lots of good / interesting information in that post. Twice I have run barefoot from the start of my road to my house. It is .37 miles - or so Wink It was less painful to run than walk. It seemed when walking more of the foot strikes the ground, and it is on the ground much longer. It was much more mentally challenging to run than walk though. If I could get over the "YIKES" factor, it will be good.