Barefoot Runners

My VFF experience (so far) (Read 229 times)

Get Lost :)

I don't know where I've been for the last few years, but I've finally got a pair of KSOs and wanted to try this all out. The concept makes sense to me intuitively, save the difference between concrete/pavement/asphalt surfaces and trails/more natural surfaces.

Anyway, I did a little short recovery run for the first time in them and had some definite pangs of pins and needles/PF in my left foot. I decided not to overdo it and ended up jogging about a mile or so and walking another 1.5 miles, gingerly because of the foot pain.

I went out again this morning on another recovery run, and it definitely felt better. I did about 3 total miles at around 8:30 pace, which is slow for the distance for me, but I definitely don't feel yet like I can go all out on 3 miles in these, unlike in my shoes. There was a slight hint of pins and needles in my left foot, but it never fully flared up on me, which I think is progress.

How slowly is it recommended to increase 'barefoot' mileage? In shoes I'm running 30-50 miles per week, with my long runs around 15-18 miles. Any advice from experience would be appreciated!

Queen of 3rd Place

I had a similar experience - a little too much BF mileage and had some mild PF for a few days. I think you're on the right track, take your time with the mileage buildup. What's been working for me is to do my usual run, drop off my shoes at home, then do a few laps around the neighborhood - close enough so that I can bail out if need be. I think it helps to be warmed up first.

Arla

Ex runner

Great advice, thanks. I had a nice 14 miler today and am definitely going to take the VFFs out for a spin this evening and head over to the gym for some core work and strange looks.

Little update: I was feeling the hint of a pre-plantar fasciitis (no real symptoms yet but I'm getting good at noticing it), so I decided to start with some walking and see how the foot felt. It was okay, so I broke out into a little jog which quickly turned into a pretty fast run (for still adjusting to the VFFs). It felt GREAT. So light. I ran back home the same way and felt just fine. Now I have to be very patient about slowly increasing mileage in these things. I wonder how long it will take me to make it to distances that I'm currently doing in shoes (16-18 miles).

I put in just under 4 miles in these today. First couple of miles were at a reasonable pace, but I felt the pins and needles underfoot and decided to wait them out. I walked for a little while until it felt okay again, and then I ended up running another 2 miles and felt fine. I took it easier on the last two compared to the first two. I have been feeling a tightness under the left foot all day today though and really don't want to overdo it. When it feels good, it feels great. But I really have to figure out how to overcome this problem. I'm kind of impatient and want to be doing 10+ miles in these already. I keep having to tell myself not to even think about it right now.