Barefoot Runners

Anton Krupicka's take on minimal shoes (Read 1306 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Interesting blog posting by elite ultramarathoner Anton Krupicka. No dogma, just trying to find what works for him.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Thanks for the link.

I can definitely relate to his comment about needing a certain level of protection to go as fast as possible on really rough trails.  Because I did the same thing he did -- bruised my forefoot pretty badly trying to do speedwork on a wicked rocky trail. 

It was only the last sentence that I disagreed with.  I don't know if it's because he's a trail racer who hasn't done a lot of barefooting on roads, but the consensus among barefooters I know is that concrete and asphalt are drastically easier than natural surfaces.  My only shod run last summer was a trail race.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Imminent Catastrophe

Agreed. In heel-striking, a hard surface can cause higher impact impulse but for a mid-forefoot runner with good form it should not make a significant difference and like you said, less chance of puncture or trauma. Besides, hard-packed, sun-baked dirt/rock surfaces that primitive humans ran on are pretty hard too. Sandals are a pretty ingenious solution to the problem.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 20/21 July 2013

Boston Marathon 21 April 2014

Tahoe Rim Trail 100M 19/20 July 2014