Barefoot Runners

Does posture correct everything? (Read 505 times)

Greetings all,

So I've run maybe 150 miles total this summer. I haven't really run before, but I've biked and practiced karate for years (in bare feet). I Tried VFF's, but didn't like them. Switch between Huraches and barefoot. Usually 2/3rd huraches.

When I run more than 6 miles, my right foot hurts. I had it X-rayed, and they didn't see a fracture. Yesterday, I went for a 11.2 mile run. Around mile 8, I had to stop and walk a bit because the pain in my right foot was bad.

However, I found a way to keep the foot from hurting as much, by focusing on tightening my core muscles. I assume that by doing so, I had better posture which led to better form and use of the leg.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Focusing on posture to correct foot pain?

-Jimmy

Half Fanatic #846

However, I found a way to keep the foot from hurting as much, by focusing on tightening my core muscles. I assume that by doing so, I had better posture which led to better form and use of the leg.

Well, I'm no expert although I've done a few hundred miles barefoot in the past few months.  From all I've heard, read, and experienced,  good posture corrects many running "problems".  Just the act of running BF forces us to assume a better posture naturally.  I believe my posture is good, but not great, because I still have to constantly remind myself to focus. 

But naturally means "relaxed", not tightly.  Are you actually compensating for your foot pain by running slightly differently - which could lead to another injury?  I think you are on the right track - but focus on a relaxed posture to correct pain. And if pain persists, it's time to treat/rest it. 

Good luck!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm with havana - tightening anything doesn't sound like a good idea.  I do agree that your running form, including stride and posture, are likely candidates.

When I started getting in significant BF/min running, I had some pain, swelling, and bruising in one ankle, between the ankle bone and the foot.  Weird; I still don't know what was happening.  It would subside in time for the next day's run, so I just continued.  Maybe my ankle has adapted to BF running; maybe I have improved my form.  Well, I know I have improved my form - my running is getting freer and more relaxed (and more fun) all the time.  Hope that proves to be the case for you as well.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

p.s.  I was going to upload an avatar just like yours, but you beat me to it!

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Engaging core muscles is good.  (And being engaged is not the same thing as being tight.)

There are some good exercises outlined in the Chi Running book on how to properly engage your core.  I don't really remember them now as it was a long time ago, and it has become something I do without thinking.

I do remember that as I improved my posture, my core and hips got noticeably more developed.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Perhaps engaging is the better word.

I noticed today when I engage my core, my hips seem to get more rotation as well as reducing the foot pain. The rotation increases my speed without really increasing my effort. If I focus on engaging the core, my initial miles are 9min/mile. If I don't, it's more like 11min/mile.

Thanks for the responses.

-Jimmy