Barefoot Runners

Winter Shoes (Read 2158 times)

I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm looking for something with better grip in slippery mud on the trails than my Vibram KSOs. Right now i'm looking at Vibram TrekSports or Treks. Any other suggestions?

Runamocs

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Runamocs.

I've had my eyes on these - you like 'em, Meph?

I have never used them, I was just making a suggestion. They seem pretty cool to me, but I am waiting for the NB Minimus, because of the rocky trail where I live a little more padding might be more appropriate. Otherwise, a pair of cross country flats might be a decent choice too for those rocky trails and winter running. 

Half Fanatic #846

My next pair of shoes are going to be RunAmoc Chocolate with the trail soles.  They look comfy and a little warmer for winter.  Although I doubt any shoe is very "grippy" in mud!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

No run...need sleepy!

Can anyone share any experience on whether your feet get warmer or colder as you run?  I run in sandals.  Today was my first sub 40 degree run...2 miles.  The first mile my feet were numb and it was quite disconcerting.  But they warmed up and the 2nd mile was more or less business as usual.  The only other time I'd experienced this was during a fall 5k in very damp conditions.  Temp at race start was 40-45.  1st mile my right foot was a bit numb, then normal feeling returned.

Next time it's this cold I'll try adding Smartwool socks to the mix and see how it goes.

I've read elsewhere in the forums of people running in just shorts/t-shirts in 30 degrees and below.  Either I'm a big wuss or too thin skinned or something cuz I doubt that's gonna be me!

I'm resurrecting this thread since I'm looking for something with better grip in slippery mud on the trails than my Vibram KSOs. 

Right now i'm looking at Vibram TrekSports or Treks. 

Any other suggestions?

Just posting to say I LOVE my Trek's! Now that the weather is much colder with liners my feet are nice and cozy warm! Hope they do well in the snow

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Deacon

Can anyone share any experience on whether your feet get warmer or colder as you run?  I run in sandals.  Today was my first sub 40 degree run...2 miles.  The first mile my feet were numb and it was quite disconcerting.  But they warmed up and the 2nd mile was more or less business as usual.  The only other time I'd experienced this was during a fall 5k in very damp conditions.  Temp at race start was 40-45.  1st mile my right foot was a bit numb, then normal feeling returned.

Next time it's this cold I'll try adding Smartwool socks to the mix and see how it goes.

I've read elsewhere in the forums of people running in just shorts/t-shirts in 30 degrees and below.  Either I'm a big wuss or too thin skinned or something cuz I doubt that's gonna be me!

In my experience, they normally warm up as I go...but this is only the case of they are dry.  With lower temps, I run in my KSOs and will also throw on some Injinji socks if it's down in the 20's.  And if it's dry out, I'm fine down into the teens.  

This morning was wet (drizzling) and cold (mid-30's), so my toes were numb pretty quick and didn't have any opportunity to warm up.  I've decided that i need to look into some VFF Flows...Can anyone speak to how these handle cold and wet weather?  Are they similar in feel to the KSOs?

In my experience, they normally warm up as I go...but this is only the case of they are dry.  With lower temps, I run in my KSOs and will also throw on some Injinji socks if it's down in the 20's.  And if it's dry out, I'm fine down into the teens.  

This morning was wet (drizzling) and cold (mid-30's), so my toes were numb pretty quick and didn't have any opportunity to warm up.  I've decided that i need to look into some VFF Flows...Can anyone speak to how these handle cold and wet weather?  Are they similar in feel to the KSOs?

I ran in the flows as my primary footwear last winter. The take the cold very well. I've been under -7F windchill with them. The first mile is understandably chilly. After that, they feel great.

There is one danger though with them, which is dampness.  If you're running on a road where they put a lot of salt you'll often see puddles.  These puddles are much colder than 32F due to the salt. If you get the Flows wet, and then continue to run, you'll feel them freeze up, and your feet will suffer.

I had that experience once and learned from it.  I've had no trouble running through snow with them either. It's that wetness that was killer. 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

Deacon

There is one danger though with them, which is dampness.  If you're running on a road where they put a lot of salt you'll often see puddles.  These puddles are much colder than 32F due to the salt. If you get the Flows wet, and then continue to run, you'll feel them freeze up, and your feet will suffer.

Thanks, Sumdeus...that's helpful.  It sounds like Flows might be right for me this winter, but no matter what I wear on my feet, if they get wet and it's cold out, then my feet are going to be cold.  

I never really had that issue when I used to run in regular running shoes, but I guess it's just a matter of ground clearance:  shallow puddles that wet my feet when wearing VFFs wouldn't rise above the sole of a normal running shoe.  From my perspective, just one of the very few downsides to barefoot/minimalist running.  

caracol

I started running bare this summer.

Since I live in southern Germany I have to cope with bad wheather conditions in winter with icy and snowy ground.

So in october with temperatures shortly over freezing point I purchased vibram`s KSO model. They were great, but

then in november on snow they gave no protection against chill and wetness. Often came home with numb toes.

Since I run normally 8 - 10 km it´s not possible to avoid muddy and wet snow. Tho socks I wear get soaked quickly and the cold is creeping into the toes.

...But in November I switched to the Flow Trek model from Vibram an had no problems anymore. Even when I ran 10 km on snow (15 cm) the socks were dry afterwards. The thicker sole with a much deeper profile than the KSOs take some barefoot feeling, but on snow and ice they give in my opinion more grip than classic running shoes.The neoprene lining isolated until now absolutely sufficiently (up to -6°Wink. It wasn´t colder yet, but I´m optimistic that I can use them at even lower temperatures.

Since running on freshly snow-covered trails is one of my favorite variation of all ground conditions. I´m totally happy do be able to do it barefoot style also in winter now.

Killer of Beers

http://shodless.com/barefoot-running-winter-advice-options/barefoot/

Be careful. It doesn't have to be below freezing to get frostbite.

http://www.barefootjosh.com/?p=91

Then there are people like this guy.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/80779375/

Fit Feet Ireland

Blatant spam.
                          caracol

Today evening I tried my VFF Flow Trek shoes on my classic 9,2 km round. It had -10,2 °C, the lowest temperature I did with my VFFs.

Having read the report from barefootjosh, linked two posts above, I was curious how it would work out  and planned to return as soon I would feel chill creeping into my toes.

At 2 km I was close to head back. My toes hurt and I wasn´t sure if it´s smart to enter the forrest since there is no shortcut to get home quickly.

But that was nearly exacly when the pain started to disappear. So I completed my round. On the second half I had no problems at all.

Back home my toes had to defreeze (10 min), but It wasn´t very painfull. From my skitours I remember much situations with much more pain.

I also noticed that the sox were absolutely dry, despite I ran completely on snow. Mostly already tramped down, but also 1 km on virgin powder.

In all modesty I´d like to point out:

• I creamed my toes with fat creme ("Hirschtalg" from Efasit). Might have helped, but I´m not sure.
                            • There were no damp snow as last time when temp. was around freezing point, so my feet stayed totally dry
                            • I tried the VFFs already at -6°, so running at -10° was not that riskier.
                            • I had a little frost nip in my toes, so I´d run under this conditions again, but not at even lower temperatures than -10 ° (with the Flow Treks).   Maybe ca. -5°C is the limit for the VFF Trk Flows
                            • maybe taking along thick wool socks to wear them over the VFFs in case of an injury and need to walk home avoiding serious frostbite
                            • prefering routes where it´s possible to get somewhere to warm up ore come home quicklier
                            • longer distances with the FVVs and -10°C are not advisable for me personally because of the treacherous fact that I didn´t feel pain at the end, but nevertheless realized at home that the toes were "frozen" slightly
                            • when running longer then 9 km, the sweat in the neoprene lining might lead to wet sox and definitely much more problems at the end    

Thats my today´s experience, hope I didn´t bore you...

I haven't tried the Flows yet but I've been running in my Trek's. I've done 13 miles in temps of 21 with windchill  9 degrees. For the first 3 or so miles my feet and toes felt like bricks that hurt, however that changed and I had a comfortable rest of the run. Takes a bit to thaw after running however it hasn't been painful. I have Raynauds syndrome so not sure that what I"m doing is smart but that's me. 

Can anyone tell me how the flows fit compared to like the Bikilas? Smaller, bigger?

Thanks,

Pam

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

For what it's worth, I'm still running in invisibleshoe huraches in 20' weather, but I've added smart-wool socks. My feet get wet, but the cold isn't bad as long as I stay moving. I'm run on snow, ice, and cold pavement with them...