Barefoot Runners

Video (Read 288 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Here's a short video of a run I did on vacation.  It gives a glimpse of some of the conditions I find comfortable at my present level of training, and a couple slow-motion views of my form.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, Ed.  You're totally a heel-striker!  I didn't know it was possible to do that comfortably, barefoot!

Roads were made for journeys...

Marylander

IDK, looks more like striking on the whole foot to me with the front coming down just in time to contact the ground about the same time as the heel.

Kirk
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

There's an important difference between my form and "heel striking". I know there's a difference because I used to be a heel striker and I was a wreck.  This feels very different.  As I've said before, it's very hard to describe, much easier to just get out and do it. 

The heels touch first, but lightly, and by the time my full weight comes down the whole foot is down, distributing the load.

Don't just focus on the feet, pay attention to where my feet are in relation to the rest of my body at the moment of landing.  They're underneath and/or behind my center of gravity, and my knees are bent.  Foot landing is unimportant.  It is the sum of your entire posture that makes you a smooth, happy runner or not.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'd really like to make a better video, in profile, with a high speed camera.  One of these days...

great video, thanks for sharing.  That's definitely some rough terrain right there, especially the rocks.

Can I ask what the pace was per mile in the video, or even a section of the video.  Just curious.

Thanks.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

It looks to me like you are reaching forward with your heel, but just before "touch down," you bring the forefoot down. Not a heel strike, but a true midfoot strike. 

Thanks for posting. That's encouraging.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Can I ask what the pace was per mile in the video, or even a section of the video.  Just curious.

Somewhere in the 8-9 minute per mile range. 

Prince of Fatness

There's an important difference between my form and "heel striking". I know there's a difference because I used to be a heel striker and I was a wreck.  This feels very different.  As I've said before, it's very hard to describe, much easier to just get out and do it. 

The heels touch first, but lightly, and by the time my full weight comes down the whole foot is down, distributing the load.

Don't just focus on the feet, pay attention to where my feet are in relation to the rest of my body at the moment of landing.  They're underneath and/or behind my center of gravity, and my knees are bent.  Foot landing is unimportant.  It is the sum of your entire posture that makes you a smooth, happy runner or not.

I couldn't agree more with this.  Last winter I started working on my form.  I tried to focus on bearing my weight at mid foot and not pay attention to what part of my foot actually touched the ground first.  Funny, months later when I tried barefoot running it felt very similar in feel.

That's a great video, Ed.  Thanks for sharing it.

Not at it at all.