Barefoot Runners

I think I'll be getting VFFs tomorrow... (Read 759 times)

It's my birthday, and I asked for a pair of the KSOs.  How should I start out?  I run anywhere from 2 to 12 miles, typically, all on trails. I've had PF issues for over 7 years, and I'm hoping thta this will help. After reading several posts here, I've been wearing less support around the house, and trying to go barefoot around the house, too.  Advice?
    Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado
      My vast 4 weeks of barefooting as a benchmark.  I think you should start with .25 miles of completely barefoot and leave the kso's at home.  My reasoning is that barefooting will kill your calves until you build muscle/ develop your form.  If you go out in your kso's for 2 miles you will end up either running with improper form or injuring yourself.  I would recommend completely disregarding any previous running experience and start from scratch with your barefooting.  Start with .25 miles at a time then add maybe a tenth of a mile per week to your runs, then add the kso's once you have it figured out.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

I've done some very limited trail running with both barefoot and with KSO's, and I personally prefer the KSO's for trails.  Something about tender feet and pinecones that have a tendency to shed ...

That said, I prefer barefoot for smoother surfaces like bike paths or most sidewalks.  And I'd also recommend spending some time with pure barefoot because it teaches some things that KSO's dont - like how to not push off the ground, and how to be much more careful about where you place your feet.  Barefoot teaches through pain, but it is effective teaching.

Starting out at 2 miles is likely to be too much.  Many people find they have all sorts of new muscles in their feet and ankles that they never knew they had... and until proper form is mastered, Achilles injuries are also quite possible.

I'd recommend going with whatever Ed4 suggests, as he's had the best, consistent advice in this group so far.  Good luck and happy birthday!!!

Roads were made for journeys...

I just wrote about my experiences with starting barefooting on my blog here (don't worry, I'm not selling anything here, I swear):

http://www.dragonslife.org/barefoot-running-the-beginning

Perhaps you'd find something helpful, although I am by no means an expert of any kind. If you have any feedback, I'd love that as well.  Good luck, and I second the notion of listening to Ed!

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jeffdonahue

I just wrote about my experiences with starting barefooting on my blog here (don't worry, I'm not selling anything here, I swear):

http://www.dragonslife.org/barefoot-running-the-beginning

Perhaps you'd find something helpful, although I am by no means an expert of any kind. If you have any feedback, I'd love that as well.  Good luck, and I second the notion of listening to Ed!

Interesting.  I do have a question on the blog post though.  You said that you should start running and go as far as you can without getting blisters, but how do you know how far that is without getting blisters?

For example, my first ever BF run was a half mile.  It felt great and I didnt get any blisters.  My next BF run was 2 miles.  It still felt great and I got no blisters, but should I have pushed it farther.  For me the problem doesnt seem to be blisters, but building up the muscles in the feet that I havent used because of the shoes.  I can feel the soreness in those muscles the day after a BF run and am glad I didnt go much farther than I did, but if the problem was jsut blisters I think I could probably have gone another few miles.

So I think a mention of the strengthening of those unused muscles and not pushing them too far (which I think could be easy to do because they are such small muscles) might be helpful as well in your blog.

Interesting.  I do have a question on the blog post though.  You said that you should start running and go as far as you can without getting blisters, but how do you know how far that is without getting blisters?

For example, my first ever BF run was a half mile.  It felt great and I didnt get any blisters.  My next BF run was 2 miles.  It still felt great and I got no blisters, but should I have pushed it farther.  For me the problem doesnt seem to be blisters, but building up the muscles in the feet that I havent used because of the shoes.  I can feel the soreness in those muscles the day after a BF run and am glad I didnt go much farther than I did, but if the problem was jsut blisters I think I could probably have gone another few miles.

So I think a mention of the strengthening of those unused muscles and not pushing them too far (which I think could be easy to do because they are such small muscles) might be helpful as well in your blog.

Thanks for the feedback Jeff.  For me, the limiting factor was blisters, and I can definitely feel them forming.  It feels like a specific hotspot on your foot that is becoming more tender. 

I should probably remove the part about the blisters and leave the distance aspects in there.  That seems to be the bigger component since the calves tend to tighten up quickly on us.

Keep on, keeping on and you'll get past that tight calves time. I found it really difficult to get over the hump including shoe based running my schedule though.  Good luck!

I think the key is to be sure to listen to your body and shut the barefooting down before you feel overwhelmed.

Thanks for all the feedback, and great BLOG!  I got them last night and haven't had a chance to try them.  I'll let you know how it goes Smile
                Next up: A 50k in ? Done: California-Oregon-Arizona-Nevada (x2)-Wisconsin-Wyoming-Utah-Michigan-Colorado

Well, i "ran", if you can call a 25 minute per mile pace a run, 0.5 miles on Monday evening.  I think I chose the rockest, worst gravel dirt road for my first run.  But I loved the fit and feel of the VFF, and neither my feet nor my legs hurt afterwards.

SO this morning I went to trail and went about 2.5 miles.  This trail was more natural, but still had plenty of rocks (part of WS100).  I found I was very hesitant going downhill, which is usually my favorite part of trail running.  I was afraid of landing too hard on a rock edge, or of stubbing my toes.  But the rest of the run went really well, and no pains afterwards, yet. Yes, I feel every rock, and there is "pain", but I think I'll get used to that?  i think of it more as a foot masage .

Also, on this longer run, I was able to "zone out' and enjoy the scenery and the run, etc., like i normally do, so I think am getting more relaxed already.

MTA: And my pace this morning was up to 17 minute miles (note: lots of uphill walking on this run).

Another great run!  Yesterday I did one of my regular 4 mile trail runs - and I did it in my 3rd fastest time ever!  I am getting better at the downhills. I had a few hot spots on my heels, but no blisters.  I'm really happy with them!
                      Fantastic news, keep us posted!

I thought I'd throw in an update on my experience with my VFF KSOs.  I've had them since August, and I've run almost all my short runs in them (anything less than 5 miles). And all of those runs/miles have been on trails. 

I had one injury - landed too hard with my heel on a rock, bruised it bad enough that I wore my regular shoes for 2 weeks.  That was 2 months ago, and I'm fine now.  No other adjustments seem to be need to go from full shoes to the VFFs.  I was already running as a fore-foot striker for years.

I've found that the most difficult trails are those that were once roads - and were gravelled or paved and now falling apart.  These tend to have an insane amount of smaller rocks at the surface, causing me to slow down to carefully place my feet. I seem to be running my "shod" pace except for on those sections of trails with lots of small rocks.

I ran last week on a frosty/icy day/slightly wet trail, and had some problem with lack of grip.  Going up and down hills was slippery. Will be interesting to see how the VFFs do throughout the winter. I'll wear them as long as they seem to "work".

I started going barefoot around the house at the same time I started running in the VFFs, and my PF problem has gone from ~8/10 to ~2/10. After 8 years of havong aching feet off and on, this is wonderful!

Wow, 8/10 to 2/10. That's a huge difference.  Hopefully the pain will continue to recede.  I sympathize with the heel too. I've taken a few painful missteps as well. The longer I run barefoot or with VFF the less frequent these missteps seem to occur.

I've found that the most difficult trails are those that were once roads - and were gravelled or paved and now falling apart.  These tend to have an insane amount of smaller rocks at the surface, causing me to slow down to carefully place my feet. I seem to be running my "shod" pace except for on those sections of trails with lots of small rocks.

I agree completely with this. The smaller to medium sized rocks, particularly on hills can be very troublesome. This too appears to resolve itself with practice. I've found something that seems to hurt more than those rocks. Wet snow tracks (foot prints, sleds) that have since frozen into solid ice.  Cover that with some snow and it's like a treasure hunt for pain.

I ran last week on a frosty/icy day/slightly wet trail, and had some problem with lack of grip. Going up and down hills was slippery. Will be interesting to see how the VFFs do throughout the winter. I'll wear them as long as they seem to "work".

I've had no issue with the VFF's this winter, despite running on ice several times. I can't imagine what else you could wear on your feet that would be better. What did you have in mind?

I've run with hex screws screwed into the bottom of my running shoes and felt as though I had less control than when simply wearing the VFF. I think it may have to do more with the stride.  Instead of pushing off, the feet pickup is much kinder to running in icy conditions.

Congrats on the success so far, stories like this are inspiring.

I've had no issue with the VFF's this winter, despite running on ice several times. I can't imagine what else you could wear on your feet that would be better. What did you have in mind?

I've run with hex screws screwed into the bottom of my running shoes and felt as though I had less control than when simply wearing the VFF. I think it may have to do more with the stride.  Instead of pushing off, the feet pickup is much kinder to running in icy conditions.

We don't get ice/snow too often here, so if my VFFs continue to be too slippery in the mud I'll switch back to my mizunos or vasques for the days when the trails are wet.

Imminent Catastrophe

trails2run-

I don't know if you've seen the VFF Treks, they have leather uppers and a much more grippy tread. They have noticeably better traction.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

trails2run-

I don't know if you've seen the VFF Treks, they have leather uppers and a much more grippy tread. They have noticeably better traction.

Do you have the treks? I've seen them on-line, but I'd rather not spend more money on "shoes", even another pair of VFFs. I don't think they're even available here, either.  Plus, the leather (kangaroo, or any leather, for that matter) sounds yucky - hot, and sweaty ( maybe only during the hot weather).  I'd rather just wear my trail shoes if I have to on the mud.