Barefoot Runners

Is a treadmill dangerous for my bare feet? (Read 720 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Another thread touched on this, but I think it merits a separate post.  Is there a valid reason gyms, particularly chains, should ban people from running barefoot on treadmills? Am I going to lose a toe in the crack at the back of the belt, or is this just an old prejudice, like the rule at stores and restaurants ("no shoes, no service")?

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I wonder if they are concerned about possible bacterial spread between humans? The rec center at the university at which I work has meticulous posters and little hand sanitizing stations all over the place. I haven't asked, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be keen on barefooting on the track or treadmill, although maybe they would - we barefooted in belly dance class and I know they do in yoga class.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Jill_B

I fly.

I was going to ask if I could run barefoot today at the gym, but I honestly forgot until I had already picked my son up from the babysitting.  I'm going to ask next time I'm there to see what they have to say about this...

Bring it on.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wonder if they are concerned about possible bacterial spread between humans? The rec center at the university at which I work has meticulous posters and little hand sanitizing stations all over the place. I haven't asked, but I have a feeling they wouldn't be keen on barefooting on the track or treadmill, although maybe they would - we barefooted in belly dance class and I know they do in yoga class.

Okay, I hadn't thought about the bacterial angle, but that may be what they're thinking.  I happen to be pretty opinionated on bacteria phobia, sanitizers, antiseptics, antibiotics, and attempts to rid the earth of germs.  Didn't intend to get into that discussion here, though.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

we barefooted in belly dance class and I know they do in yoga class.

...and those bare bellies might be more dangerous than bare feet1 Wink

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Okay, I hadn't thought about the bacterial angle, but that may be what they're thinking.  I happen to be pretty opinionated on bacteria phobia, sanitizers, antiseptics, antibiotics, and attempts to rid the earth of germs.  Didn't intend to get into that discussion here, though.

Oh I totally understand. And yes, bellies (especially mine) can definitely be a dangerous weapon. I don't have that lean runner physique.

I looked up the policy on facilities at our University Rec Center (SRC=student rec center, although community members, employees (like me) and alums are also members) and found this:

• For your safety, and the preservation of our floors, you are required to wear only clean and dry aerobic, cross training, or court shoes in the Spencer SRC.
              • Employees may ask anyone wearing inappropriate shoes to discontinue participation.

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Kerry, the policy still seems unclear about bare feet.  Would my bare feet damage the floors?  As to the bellies, just a little lame joke about the seductive quality of belly dance.  We men have certain weaknesses Smile

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Kerry, the policy still seems unclear about bare feet.  Would my bare feet damage the floors?  As to the bellies, just a little lame joke about the seductive quality of belly dance.  We men have certain weaknesses Smile

When I did belly dance a few years ago (being in my 30s, with a bunch of college co-eds, I was the "old lady" in the room), we always noticed the guys managed to find a way where they could watch the class from the hallway outside. Smile

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

http://societyforbarefootliving.wordpress.com/2010/03/01/no-shirt-no-shoes-no-service-its-really-fairly-recent/

Thanks for that link, Beastie.  The historical context makes it pretty clear.  Now, are the gyms concerned with their equipment amputating toes, or are they trying to keep the hippies out?

(To be fair, there's a lot of equipment there that I'm not about to use without shoes.)

Whether there are health codes or not, I wouldn't go barefoot in a gym. The combination of sweat and the possibility of open wounds just doesn't jive with me. (I've seen guys walking around the locker room with open warts...not about to walk barefoot over that, even to the shower.)

I'll run barefoot on a treadmill at home, but at the gym I can wear my shoes. Or at least socks. Or something. I don't know, I haven't been in a gym for years, I do all my lifting at home now.

Run to Win
                      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Half Fanatic #846

At the only gym I'm familiar with, the equipment is cleaned regularly or at least "wiped down" - but I have never seen the belt on a treadmill cleaned.

For me, it's not so much what is on a public treadmill or on a road surface - that's a given.  My  general "health rules" are (1) I always take a shower and make sure to clean my feet well afterward, and (2) I won't run if   I'm the one who has a sore on the foot - statistically speaking, I think that's the only way I could develop a problem.

OTOH, not running BF on a public gym TM is 100% safe. Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

OTOH, not running BF on a public gym TM is 100% safe. Smile

good call on that one!

i think being a clean barefooter is in the eye of the beholder. i sometimes feel better about my feet after walking around in dirt paths and sidewalks than if i just finished a bike ride in swampy shoes.

sorry Led, for another non-answer.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My question was kinda hypothetical anyway. Still figuring out how I'm going to be doing my winter BF running.

make some huaraches out of cats, preferably alive.