Barefoot Runners

Yay, spring (Read 258 times)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

It's finally been warm enough to get out and get some consistent barefoot running in. Happily, I'm finding that I didn't lose very much toughness over the winter. I easily jumped back in to 4-6 mile runs on pavement without discomfort. And I did a 20 miler last weekend in FiveFingers. My feet were tired and a little tender by the end, but I think it was mostly because I really need to wash the accumulated grit out of my FiveFingers. I find that if I don't wash them out for a while they gather little abrasive bits of packed dirt, sand, and dried sweat that make a kind of cement on the inside of the sole. Now I have three weeks to Boston, and I'm planning lots of easy barefoot runs during my taper. Feels so good. I'll probably race in FiveFingers. I'm tempted to do the race barefoot, but I'm a little leery of how much I might have to slow down if there are particularly rough patches. If this was a fall marathon I'd be all over it, but I think it's tough to be ready to run Boston barefoot.
    Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, Ed, the thought of you running Boston in either FF or BF is awesome!

Ex runner

Kenotic Runner

Holy smokes.
          Now I have three weeks to Boston, and I'm planning lots of easy barefoot runs during my taper. Feels so good. I'll probably race in FiveFingers. I'm tempted to do the race barefoot, but I'm a little leery of how much I might have to slow down if there are particularly rough patches. If this was a fall marathon I'd be all over it, but I think it's tough to be ready to run Boston barefoot.
          Good luck at Boston Ed4. What's your goal time and Bib number if you don't mind?
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Bib number 3799. As for goal time, hmm... let's say 3:05.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Well, just to close the loop on this, my goal was optimistic. I ran a 3:11. Still pretty happy with it. And I think a 3:11 was exactly what I needed to inspire me to pile on the mileage this summer. I want to break 3 in the fall, preferably with no shoes at all.