Barefoot Runners

First Blood (Read 400 times)

jeffdonahue

No, not the Stallone movie - though I have seen that on t.v. quite a bit lately.

Today, after a week or so off from BF running, I went out and did another mile.  It felt good, but about halfway back on the return loop I felt a sharp pain  on my left arch.  After a few steps it didnt go away so I stopped and reached my hand down - there was something sharp sticking out of my foot.  I didnt even really try to see what it was but instead pulled it out and tossed it aside and finished up my mile.

As I started putting my shoes back to drive to the gym, I did decide to look at the spot where the pain had been.  There was a big glob of blood there.  I grabbed the closest thing I could to a tissue - an old visor that was in my car - and applied pressure to stop the bleeding.  Afterwards I felt the area and it didnt feel like anything was still in there, but there was a small cut on foot.

I have done a lot of barefoot runs (well, okay some barefoot running - not a lot compared to most people here) and never had a cut before.  I've had blisters, but this was my first blood that I have shed in my barefoot running endeavor. 

It feels kind of like a rite of initiation or something.

Half Fanatic #846

It feels kind of like a rite of initiation or something.

That's right - it's just a matter of time before that proud moment arrives to officially initiate us.  My moment(s) came when I finished a run and felt something still on my foot.  It was a jagged piece of acorn shell that had embedded in my skin.  Then a week later I found a staple hanging out of my foot.  All very minor compared to the PF and shin splints I suffered with regular running shoes.

Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Imminent Catastrophe

Barefoot running is bad, mmmmkay? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Speaking of first blood, this story was just posted at Runner's World about a barefoot runner. But frankly, many people wearing shoes also get bit by snakes, so I don't consider this a deterrent.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Barefoot running is bad, mmmmkay? 

Did I start a new catch phrase for whenever someone get's hurt barefooting?