Barefoot Runners

I hated this path in my garden (Read 315 times)

I never understood what my husband did to the path toward the tool shed in our garden. Because the path was rather soggy after a period of rain, he decided to use (large pieces of) broken rooftiles to make it easier to use that path.

Did I say easy? Indeed, very easy to sprain you ankle while walking there…

But then I started walking barefoot a few weeks ago.

I have to admit, the first time I used this path, it really did hurt. But yesterday, I surprised myself when I passed there again barefoot!
    Of course I did feel the unevenness of the substrate, but where that unevenness always made it difficult to keep my balance when walking there shod, I hadn’t any problem barefoot.

Indeed, where I first thought that the most important aspect of ‘transitioning’ would be toughening my soles, I now realize it's something different:

When I walked on this path unshod on that first day of transition to barefoot running, I was very tense, and only used a small part of my feet to walk on. I was more tiptoeing over that path than walking. But yesterday I just relaxed, let my soles mold over the pieces of tile, and thus I spread my weight over a larger surface. Walking wasn’t painful anymore like it was on that first day, but it also was much easier to keep my balance, unlike while walking there shod Smile

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Half Fanatic #846

"When I walked on this path unshod on that first day of transition to barefoot running, I was very tense, and only used a small part of my feet to walk on. I was more tiptoeing over that path than walking. But yesterday I just relaxed, let my soles mold over the pieces of tile, and thus I spread my weight over a larger surface. Walking wasn’t painful anymore like it was on that first day, but it also was much easier to keep my balance, unlike while walking there shod Smile "

That's awesome, Ann!!

You've discovered the  "secret"   benefits of relaxation. Subconsciously, you may have also discovered that to navigate uncomfortable surfaces, it helps tremendously to "ape walk" tough/sharp parts by crouching slightly.  As you noted, "tip-toeing" simply places more pressure on fewer parts of the foot - exactly what makes it less comfortable. Your feet are also learning to compensate naturally.

Nice story - Thanks!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I am impressed you've adapted so quickly. You're a quick learner.

Thanks for sharing the story. I still remember the first time i walked unshod over gravel (and that looks even rougher) and thought it incredibly painful. It really does get better, folks weren't lying! 

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com