Barefoot Runners

My first BF run over .5 miles (Read 177 times)

Skooter 3.0

Well, I tried a couple 1/2 mile runs barefoot, as well as reaquainting with a pair of old Newtons over the last 2 weeks and today I did my longest barefoot run to date. I ran in shoes to the park which has a nice safe 2.5 mile loop (not really any glass or street debris to mess up my newbie soles). I set out to do as much of the loop as I could before my feet hurt, and before I knew it I was flying! At first it was really weird, but  I really started to get the hang of it. Downhill was the hardest/most confusing, and initially I had a difficult time relaxing into the run...that is until a group of 3 cyclists passed me and made fun of me to each other....

I heard: whhhhoooosh "Oh my god did you see that? What the fuck!? I mean there really are some weirdos in this park...honest to god!" 

The next thing I knew I was cracking up, and tearing up a hill at a 9:18 pace without even thinking about it. Initially my calves really felt it, but upon getting home, it was like I had just really stretched them out good. Now they feel awesome. The worst part was putting my shoes back on for the run home, though I will say, it's a lot easier to correct my form to as close to barefoot style as possible in shoes after doing 2.5 barefoot first!

Goals?

Nice work!  It's a great feeling when you get the hang of it.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Excellent work.

I definitely agree about downhill being tricky to learn.  And also about how it's easier to run well in shoes if you run some barefoot immediately before.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.