Barefoot Runners

Invisible Shoes Huaraches Review by Barefoot Jason (Read 1838 times)

Huaraches Maker

Jason Robillard just posted his review of Invisible Shoes huaraches at http://barefootjason.blogspot.com/2010/04/huaraches.html

And, you'll notice something SPECIAL at the top of his post (that expires on 4/15).

-Steven

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Nice to read.

I've had a pair of Invisible Shoes in my closet for the past couple of months.  Have worn them around the house a bit this winter - still need to figure out how to get them tied right for me.

Speaking of which... there is a lot of extra lace (with the slip-on method). Part of me wants to keep some of it because I fear the knot on the sole will let loose. But, I don't want to have too much. So, would be interested to know:

1) How well the knot is faring for other huarache runners.

2) Where I can readily find more cord.

Liz

pace sera, sera

if youre using the nylon cord you shouldnt have a hard time finding it at any craft store like a micheals. wal mart might even have some in the sewing area, if not i know they have hemp rope.

Huaraches Maker

Buzzie,

You can get creative with the leftover cord. There are 2 options shown at http://www.invisibleshoe.com/311/ for making something decorative with the loop on your foot.

So far, we've had one person wear through a cord (and he puts in a LOT of miles)... but he just used the extra and tied a knot in the break.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Thanks for the info guys.

Liz

pace sera, sera

I ordered a kit, will put it together when it gets here.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Imminent Catastrophe

Just put my kit together today. I used parachute cord, so in case I screw it up I'll still have the poly laces from the kit. So far, I'm pretty pleased. Ran 1/2 mile and walked around all day, and they're really great. My only issue is that I'm not used to a lace between my big toe and first toe so that will take a little getting used to. The Vibram material is perfect and the video instructions made it easy to do the lacing--I'm definitely a slip-on person. Nice!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You shouldn't really notice that lace too much. It is possible that you have them laced properly and will still notice them. When I first got my pair I had some rubbing between the toes, which irritated them. I loosened the heel lacing a bit and moved my foot back and all was good, after I figured out you could do that without having the front flop around. It really does take some time to figure out the lacing. The paracord will most likely stretch by the way.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I just re-read this thread.I was about to post a topic about a shoe I ran in the other morning after having worn it for 6 or more months as a normal knock around shoe/sandal/slip-on, a Tom's shoe. I think I'll order a Huaraches kit and add them to my shoe library!

As to the Tom's. Wife and I had heard about them from her friends, with the hook that for every pair they sell they give away a pair of shoes to a poor child. Wife likes to wear sandal type slip-on's both open and closed. She wears a lot of thin type shoes and loved the Tom's. I liked how loose they were and that they had a small arch support, and that they were relatively inexpensive, being $40-$60. Could be worn with or without socks. When I first started wearing them, my feet and calves ached a bit similar to BF which I had just started experimenting with. I realized that wearing them more frequently was a good way to build up feet/legs for BF running,so I did and bought a second pair. I kidded DW that I was going to run in them... didn't because I didn't want to piss her off. She was annoyed that I had converted an old pair of canvas Crocs into running shoes (which really have given me fewer problems than expensive "normal" shoes). Oh, DW also bought me a pair of Vibram Bikliy (sp?) as a moving gift when we relocated from Fort Worth to Austin. Haven't been able to do pure BF in new neighborhood because of the construction and the fact that my feet are not nail proof. Hard enough tires from going flat let alone feet from being punctured. So, I snuck the Tom's out of the closet yesterday and ran 3 1/2 mi in them. Awesome! Calves reacted more strongly than with the Vibrams which I would expect for pure BF running. I'm guessing they are closer than Vibrams to pure BF, but probably not as close as Huaraches. I was thinking they could be a good low cost alternate to Vibrams for some folks. But the Invisible kits are even cheaper and I think I'll order a pair to give them a shot.

bob e v
                    2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Unfortunately, Tom's have a real problem with durability. Just walking in my Tom's and they only lasted 6 months before I had holes in them.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Ordered my kit today.
                        Interesting about your Tom's. I've had mine longer than that w/o ripping. Wear them once or twice/week but don't get a lot of daytime walking in. Am office worker and even running around on weekends doesn't produce high mileage.

bob e v
                        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Fast Ninja

Nice to read.

I've had a pair of Invisible Shoes in my closet for the past couple of months.  Have worn them around the house a bit this winter - still need to figure out how to get them tied right for me.

Speaking of which... there is a lot of extra lace (with the slip-on method). Part of me wants to keep some of it because I fear the knot on the sole will let loose. But, I don't want to have too much. So, would be interested to know:

1) How well the knot is faring for other huarache runners.

2) Where I can readily find more cord.

HOPE THIS HELPS IN TYING YOUR HUARACHES ===============http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1827650223504&oid=186577394726204&comments================ i use round SHoe laces