Barefoot Runners

Proper Barefoot Form (Read 191 times)

Half Fanatic #846

I've been running short distances barefoot on my TM lately - doing the usual "thump, thump" sound most every time my feet hit the footboard, and very slightly scraping my feet sometimes (I must be lazy and sometimes even trip lightly while simply walking on slightly uneven surfaces - maybe a bad habit - because I only pick my feet up as little as possible. Someone who saw this and didn't know me might wonder if I was a little tipsy). Today however, I ran a little farther and with these differences: 1. Made sure to land only on the balls of my feet (my heels touched but only lightly) 2. I noticed this led to no "thump, thump" so I concentrated on running quietly, and it worked 3. Kept my feet directly under me which resulted in shorter strides but a seemingly faster turnover Confused 4. As long as I was thinking about it, my feet didn't "scrape"... Is this proper BF technique? I'm pretty sure my "old" form was pretty bad. Any feedback, critique, or suggestions would be helpful - thanks!! Bill Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Rudolf

the best is to see photos or videos... about the stride lenght, feet only under body and higher frequency : This is soo complicated issue, than writing or talking about it only can make it more messy, however just picking 1 point to think about : - longer stride is also achieved by keeping the back leg further back - for little bit longer time - as the idea of pushing slightly back the leg - feet would propel the body forward. This requires increased felxibility in teh hip, ankles, and the longer muscless as calves, achilles, hams, but also teh front muscles of upper thight and lower abs region this issue can be better observed in racewalking or classical XC skiing, but is also clear by watching elite to run fast middel distance races instead or reaching with teh front leg further to the front, it is the back leg which pushes further back, while keeping teh body - the pelvic and chest region well in front straight up above the point of the front leg touchdown. This issue is not important for slow running, but as soon as the speed, faster pace etc becomes an issue, that biomechanicaly this is critical

Half Fanatic #846

Thanks Rudolph! FYI: I read last night that proper BF form includes running relaxed, keeping the feet under you, landing midfoot-ball of foot, and as if you were running over logs (I guess meaning higher, rather than longer strides - to allow the legs and especially the knees to better absorb the impacts). Smile

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!