Barefoot Runners

Barefoot through injury? (Read 316 times)

Beware, batbear...

My feet were just starting to toughen up a bit when I got injured again (pulled calf + knee  = out for two weeks, doctor's orders).  What can I do to strengthen my feet and keep the skin tough while injured.  I know walking barefoot, but what about exercises?  My calf is back 90% so I'm thinking of doing some leg workouts with no weight (lunges and such).  Is there any benefit to doign these barefoot?

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I think you're asking the wrong question.  Two weeks is nothing.  A drop in the bucket.  Think in larger terms.  What will give you the highest chances of being fit and healthy a year from now, or ten years from now? 

If you're getting injured frequently, you need to rethink your entire approach.  This whole running thing is a long-term project.

It would not be unreasonable to dedicate the next month or two to only walking, preferably barefoot.  Give your body more time than it needs to heal.  Don't start again when you're 90% healed.  Wait until you're 100% healed, and then wait a little longer just to be sure.  There is no substitute for patience.  If you try to cut corners, you will just keep getting hurt, and you will not improve. 

When you start running again, build up only easy mileage for six months or a year.  "Easy" means you feel no pain, no exhaustion, you finish feeling refreshed and capable of doing more.  Consider using a heart rate monitor and forcing yourself to stay way down in an easy aerobic zone (check out the Low Heart Rate group).  You may think it's too slow, but that's what it takes to build a solid foundation.  Speed will come on its own later.

Your log doesn't have enough data for me to give you more specific advice.  How long have you been a runner?  Do you have any recent race times that could shed light on your fitness level? 

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Beware, batbear...

I've been back to running regularly since February.  Before that, I only ran occasionally.  I was going to run my first race last weekend - a 5k.  

I got a good start in February, but didn't really get rolling until April, when I, admittedly, probably tried to do too many miles. 

I've been swimming over this last week and that's been a huge help.  I haven't been doing much walking...  Patience is not my strong suit, but I'm trying very hard to hear what you're saying...  Grr... 

Wingz

Professional Noob

I didn't know how to answer this question, so thanks Ed.  I think you hit the nail on the head.

Josh, try to wrap your brain around this:

After you're healed up, limit yourself to no more than 12 miles per week, spread over 3-4 days.  Yes, 12, not 30 - 40.  Make no more than 2 of those barefoot.

Then, follow the 10% rule strictly - do not increase your miles more than 10% per week, and do not increase the length of any one run more than 10% per week.  Every fourth week is a drop-back week.  So your progression would look like the chart below.

Note at week 9 it says "20 and hold it!"  It's a good idea to give your body some time to get used to the amount of work you're asking.  You could still keep increasing the % of barefoot runs (by 10% a week) if that appeals to you, keeping the same drop-back pattern.  But hold the total miles at 20 for two months before you start adding more.  If you managed to get through these 9 weeks without getting injured, do the same pattern to work your way up to 30 miles, and hold that for a few months.

Really.

And like Ed said, make everything "easy."  That includes all the descriptions Ed said about feeling like you could do more... AND also means that you could easily carry on a conversation with someone during the run - using complete sentences.

Doing it this way is more difficult and demanding than just running whatever you feel like.  HOWEVER, it has a much better chance of seeing you become a successful long term runner.  What's more important - being able to run whatever you want for a month or two and constantly getting injured, or disciplining yourself to a conservative schedule and being able to continue to run for years...

Think about it.

Josh's Schedule:

Week
           Barefoot miles
           Total miles
           1  2  12
           2  2.2  13.2
           3  2.4  14.5
           4  2  12
           5  2.6  15.9
           6  2.9  17.4
           7  3.2  19.1
           8 2.6  15.9
           9  3.5  20 and hold it!

Roads were made for journeys...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I agree with Wingz's total mileage suggestions, but not necessarily the split between barefoot and shod miles.  Such a split makes sense for someone who's already a trained runner trying to maintain their mileage while learning to run barefoot.  But a beginner has no mileage to maintain, and might actually learn faster with less or no shod running.

Of course it's up to you.  Even 10% barefoot is still hugely valuable in terms of better strength and form.
            Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've been back to running regularly since February. 

Yeah, so 40 miles per week was definitely way too much.  It's deceptive, because your heart, lungs, and muscles improve much more quickly than your bones and joints.  So beginners feel like they're ready for much more, when they're really not there yet.  It's a mistake we almost all make.

Running is not a purely physical activity.  It takes mental training too.  Look at this as a chance to exercise your patience muscles. 

Beware, batbear...

Yeah, I'm definitely experiencing a lot of internal resistance to the total mileage suggestions.  However, my experience is, if I'm wanting to resist what someone is telling me, they're probably right.

I think,  that if I can continue to afford my gym membership and swim during the off days, I can cut down to 3 or 4 days of running per week.  I'm really getting into swimming and will probably attempt to swim the English Channel in a couple of weeks.  Plus, if I'm doing most of those miles barefoot, then I should save a load of cash on shoes and be able to afford the gym.

Wingz

Professional Noob

Ed - are you saying then that you think he'd be better off just starting out with 100% barefoot?  I made a very sudden jump from shod to barefoot, but my weekly miles were already like... um...  8 or 10 at the time and I felt I didn't have a choice. 

I think it would be difficult and unnecessarily painful to jump straight into 12 miles/wk over 3-4 days all barefoot.  That means that he'd be doing 3 - 4 miles at a time barefoot with no real way to ease in to it.  Running just 1 mile on the treadmill was as much as my feet wanted to take when I was starting out.  I STILL get blister issues just running on relatively smooth pavement.  I can't imagine jumping right in to a 4 mile run to start...

I agree with Wingz's total mileage suggestions, but not necessarily the split between barefoot and shod miles.  Such a split makes sense for someone who's already a trained runner trying to maintain their mileage while learning to run barefoot.  But a beginner has no mileage to maintain, and might actually learn faster with less or no shod running.

Of course it's up to you.  Even 10% barefoot is still hugely valuable in terms of better strength and form.

Roads were made for journeys...

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Ed - are you saying then that you think he'd be better off just starting out with 100% barefoot? 

Yes, but at a very low mileage.  For example, take the mileage chart you made and just drop all the shod running. 

I think that would be a good option for someone who's just getting started after an injury, and wants to learn to run barefoot.  I do think you learn faster if you're not confusing your body by switching back and forth all the time.  The tradeoff of course is less running for a while.

Beware, batbear...

I think that if I went 100% barefoot, I would still start with more than 2 miles per week.  I was running a very slow 1.4 miles per day barefoot at a different time of day than my longer runs.  I don't think it was the short barefoot run that got me injured.