Barefoot Runners

A Desk Killed My Vibrams (Read 289 times)

I've hated this desk for 15 years.  My father would move a lot and this stupid desk would always make the trips with him, and would always have to be put on the second floor.  It is a heavy desk, mainly owing to its solid metal surface.  The rest is made of cheap, sharp and pointy sheet metal.  As you can imagine, much pain was incurred during the many times I helped him move the thing.

I was moving it for the last time this weekend.  It was disassembled down to its component parts to make this easier (why didn't I think of that before?)  The last heavy part was the surface, a large, formica covered monolith which I leaned against a wall until it was time to take it to the dump.  There it stayed for days, bothering no one.  That is until I made the mistake of walking past it.  This was its chance to inflict one last bit of injury upon one who had suffered by it so much already.  Out of nowhere, it fell on the back of my leg as I was in mid-step. 

While this certainly did me no good at all, the real victim was my left Vibram.  Somehow, the impact caused the top of my foot to get driven into the ground and dragged, resulting in a big hole being torn in the top of the shoe.  The poor things were just a few weeks old, far to young to have met such a fate.  On the plus side, the desk has likely been mashed into a tiny, harmless ball by the bulldozers at my local landfill.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Wingz

Professional Noob

Death to the evil desks!!!

Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

pitrunner

How sad. RIP little left vibram. Gone too soon.

Certainly Something...

I dragged my toe about 2 weeks after getting my VFFs.  There's been a hole on top of my right toe since then.  Thankfully it's small enough that it hasn't been a problem.  I think after your disaster story I want pics of the dmg!
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I tore a hole in the top of my VFFs (and my foot of course) when I slipped on ice at the end of a very long run in the dark. 

The foot heeled, the shoe didn't.  One of the many ways in which feet are better than shoes.  ;-)

It wasn't enough to "kill" the shoe though, it's not that big a hole.

Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.