Barefoot Runners

Transitionary Period.... (Read 323 times)

My KSO's arrived yesterday and I ran 3 miles today (slowly) - great experience. I'm stiff in new places, but not sore. However, I'm wondering how best to handle the transition. Currently, I use a neutral cushioned shoe, but with orthotics.... Will running in these on alternate days slow my transition or give my feet and legs a rest during it? While I know patience is key, I'm hesitant to dump a bunch of miles during the transition and would like to keep up with six days per week of running once I finish my marathon recovery. I could alternate my shoes w/ orthotics w/ the vibrams - ditch the orthotics to make the shoes a bit more neutral - or just realize that the transition will require a mileage reduction. Any thoughts?

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Rudolf

1 way around this, is keep aerobic training via cycling, deep water running XCskiing etc, while waiting for the Barefoot running build up slowly to enough kms.
        Currently, I use a neutral cushioned shoe, but with orthotics.... Will running in these on alternate days slow my transition or give my feet and legs a rest during it? While I know patience is key, I'm hesitant to dump a bunch of miles during the transition and would like to keep up with six days per week of running once I finish my marathon recovery.
        I think alternating will help your transition more than hurt it. The feedback you get from BF running will improve your form when you run with shoes. It takes a long time, just gradually add more miles barefoot or with the Vibrams. I suggest being careful, 3 miles seems like is a lot to start out with. I started with lots of 0.5 mile BF runs just to conidition the bottom of my feet. I would do a normal run then do a short cooldown BF. I've been working on it for 9 months but still do the majority of my miles with shoes.
        C-R

I can relate a bit when I moved from the brick shoes (normal running shoes) to flats and minimals. I first tried two days per week short runs in flats and the rest in the old shoes. Then built up the miles to five. After that I added a day every week or other week depending on how I felt with low miles and built miles on new days. Several weeks later the bricks were only used to mow the lawn or work around the house. I just received my 5F last night and can't wait to try them out. I plan to build into these in a similar fashion based on how my feet/lower legs feel. Slower is better in my book - no shocks to the system.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I was able to keep my mileage up pretty well as I transitioned. But you may need to be willing to slow down the pace.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Transition continuing to go well.... Today I did 3 miles with Vibrams and 3 miles in shoes... took the orthotics out of the shoes and liked the run better!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.