Barefoot Runners

Introductions (Read 1533 times)

i read a book recently that outlined a lot of aspects of barefooting and went into why some people have flat feet. i thought it was interesting the example they used.

one of the most supportive structures on earth is the arch (i.e. the coliseum, weather carved stone bridges). the arch of our feet has over 100 moving parts including tendons, muscles, ligaments and bones. given this information it is also beneficial to know the easiest way to weaken or destroy an arch structure is at the center, from the bottom up. for years shoe companies have been telling people that their arches need this support when in reality it is probably the strongest part of your foot. as your arches (or lack thereof) get stronger they will naturally form a better shape to support your weight. this can also result in a smaller shoe size.

I can confirm this.  I had fairly flat feet before I started barefooting.  I had to wear stability shoes and often had

illio-tibial band issues, yada, yada. 

After about 3 years of Bare Footin' it up, my foot is much less flat.  Actually my arches look pretty normal now. 

I have done wet tests before and after and it has shown that my arch as indeed become more, uh, "archy". 

(dont know why i got an ich to make a print of my feet before i knew about barefoot running- but I am glad I did and now I have it to compare!)

Maybe one day I will scan my wet tests to a digital format and post em up.  I used watercolors for the wet test so it would be permanent.

The right path is my path.

Hello - I'm 44 years old and began my running career 4 short years ago.  After reading about BF running, experiencing IT band and low back/sciatica problems, and talking to my MAT therapist (that's not his web site), I'm jumping into the BF thing.  For starters, I've been walking around barefoot as much as possible at work and at home, but so far haven't had a chance to get on any grass for running.  I am awaiting the arrival of a pair of Nike Frees 5.0 as I felt it would be a good transition shoe (and looked more socially acceptable than the VFFs ).

I split  my running between asphalt (week days) and trails (weekends), am an ultra trail runner, and am just 28 days from my first 50-miler.

I know the transition to BF needs to be a slow, patient one, but I am ready and willing to do whatever I need to in order to keep me healthy and running for a long time to come.  I look forward to gaining more insight from the experience on this thread.

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Hello, 43 years old and been back running since 2004. Did my first run in VFF on 12/29/10 and my last run in shoes on 3/18/10.  I'm in the New York Marathon this year and I'm slowly building up my miles.

Everything has gone good so far. Calfs are slowly getting used to this and I walk in my VFF every chance I get. Biggest problem is the bottom of my feet get a little sore towards the end of a run. Pace is slow right know but will improve.

Thats about it.

I can confirm this.  I had fairly flat feet before I started barefooting.  I had to wear stability shoes and often had

illio-tibial band issues, yada, yada. 

After about 3 years of Bare Footin' it up, my foot is much less flat.  Actually my arches look pretty normal now. 

I have done wet tests before and after and it has shown that my arch as indeed become more, uh, "archy". 

(dont know why i got an ich to make a print of my feet before i knew about barefoot running- but I am glad I did and now I have it to compare!)

Maybe one day I will scan my wet tests to a digital format and post em up.  I used watercolors for the wet test so it would be permanent.

Please do- Thanks!

<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy" />

"Experience is not what happens to you, but what you do with what happens to you."

Hey,  I'm 43, I've been running off/on for years.  Have had some pretty bad back and neck problems with herniated disks in both.  I keep trying to run, so this is this years attempt at it.  I figured going barefoot would change my form up and maybe have me lighter on my feet and hopefully not bother my back or neck.  We will see....  What running I've done so far this year (not logged up to now) has been barefoot.  Run/walk on treadmill.  Started going outside run/walk couple of weeks ago.  It is so cool to be barefoot and after getting back, put on shoes and feel how heavy they seem.  Got something embedded in my foot the other day, so I broke down and got a pair of VFFs.  Some of my running has been at night, so I figured it is only a matter of time before I slice a foot open.  I've only been on the VFFs twice, but I have noticed that my "run" portions are longer than barefoot.  On the downside, I don't feel as nimble and lightfooted.  So we will see how this year goes...Starting from scratch hopefully will allow my body to progress with my feet naturally.

Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
            rpfitts

Hey all,

Currently 34 years old, been running since '94 (when I enlisted).  It was only the beginning of this year that I changed my gait to a forefoot strike though.  I started with a pair of Newtons, which were nice and definitely dropped my run times.  I've since progressed to a pair of homemade huarache sandals, but keep the Newtons in reserve as I can actually get away with wearing those on my PT tests.

There's actually a lot of debris and litter where I live, so barefooting has been problematic, but I've been scoping out some promising bike paths that are fairly smoothly paved. 

This is why I run

After years of suffering from Plantar Fasciitis (PF) for nearly 3 years, I've decided to try running barefoot and in VFF's.  I bought a pair of 5fingers and pick them up tomorrow from City Sports.  Today I ran barefoot on my treadmill for the first time.  Only a mile and only a 10:30 pace, but it was comfortable and I felt I could have gone faster & longer.   But from what I've read...baby steps.

Clydesdales shouldn't run in Five Fingers!
                Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Hi everyone.....

After a slow recovery from a stress fracture of the right ankle, I've decided I'd like to get back to the roots of running. This is even more inspired by my recent reading of Born to Run.

My recovery has been slow and I've decided that I want to return to running more strong than I was before I got injured.

It is funny - when I first started running, I ran sockless in Nike Frees (when they were fairly new). Even though I had flat feet and most would have called for MC shoes with orthotics, I only felt comfortable in the frees. The more I ran though, the more I got "bigger" shoes. I've had Kayanos, etc. I had been wearing lunarglides (which I think will stay in the arsenal).

I'm learning a lot reading your posts here and have been trying barefoot (or minimalist shoe) walks with some light practice runs in between.

I see some barefoot walking in my future, but definitely want the protection of some sort of sole, rather it be a huarache or vff, or something.

Looking forward to reading more and learning from this excellent group.

TRUST THE PROCESS